Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: kung fu and mixed martial arts

EF

Evolutionfist, when you spar do you actually apply what you're learning or do you turn into a kickboxer?

I reread one of your posts. It seems to me that you haven't had much experience in any art besides Isshin Ryu and the one you're studying now.

"I studied southern mantis for five years while studying wing chun and hung gar. At the same time I also studied bak mei on the side for two years."

Did you learn anything besides a superficial view of each named art? It takes years to master ONE style...and from what you've written it seems you haven't mastered any. How did you become an authority on kung fu?
    A penny saved is... not much.

trying to resist.....do not respond.....ignore the revert to kickboxing remark....
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Originally posted by SevenStar
    trying to resist.....do not respond.....ignore the revert to kickboxing remark....
    Be strong, SevenSTar... think of the children...
    "hey pal, you wanna do the dance of destruction with the belle of the ball, just say the word." -apoweyn

ahhh, the old "reverting to kickboxing" routine...

*sigh*

Read a few posts on those threads... I hope this one doesn't go that way... an obscene and totally unjustifiable amount of flaming and ventriloquism (putting words in other people's mouths, a la Coach Ross and Master Killer) went on in those threads.

Like the man said- think of the children!! Won't somebody think of the children??
    "Prepare your mind..." "For a mind explosion!"
    -The Human Giant, Illusionators

"If I can hit your face clean and clear that I can hit your throte just the same. This is the value of sport. Not to say that anyone or style is the best, but to test what you got vs what he got and learn from it"

Matt Thornton phrases it as a "delivery system" ie. constructive sparring, rolling in submission fighting, and competition fighting.

ATTN Travelby night

First, I don't consider myself the authority on Kung Fu, but I do consider myself knowledgable.

Yes, Isshin-Ryu is the style I have the most years with 4 years old to 8th grade and then again the during college.

Moved to NY and trained Hung Gar, Wing Chun for about 3 years. And then S. Mantis for about 3 years... two of them at the same time as the other.

Now I've been training with my master for 3 years.

Having a strong foundation in martial arts has given me ability. I got what I wanted from Wing Chun, the sticking, the trapping, the angles. I already know how to punch and kick. I didn't have those tools. When I had them and started beating the seniors and disciples at the school, I started to see what the school (style) lacked and moved on.

S Mantis gave me agression and the always go forward and into the attack mentality. In truth, not huge technology from that teacher, just a great mindset, more sticking and the tighening up of element blows from Hung Gar ... especialy Earth.

Now at the internal level, I've learned how to truly hit with the entire body, move more efficiently, internal tactics and principles.

On top of all of this I have been fighting, testing. I am not a pro, but MA is more than a hobby to me. I see some technology I don't have and want I don't stop until I understand it, develop it and test it. This is not unique. Tons of guys are doing it.

As far as reverting to Kick Boxing, I find that funny. I fought a tournament last March in Philly and took bronze, losing to the champ (he was 250lbs I was 198 lbs) via decision. Afterwards the head ref came up to me and said that had to give it to him because it looks like I was boxing.... I find it funny and admit to the outside guy I do.

But how does a 198lbs student box a 250lbs sifu and last 3 rounds? I also get that I'm just fast and strong when I play. They never understand that it's position, my fists are closer to the target.

I'm fighting April 3rd and will hopefully have some tape of it. So you can tell me.

Originally posted by SifuAbel
    Well, I have my clip ready. Can we have an exchange?

I'll show you mine , you show me yours.
    Hint, my clip is already available on KFM.

the self proclaimed legend that is...

Evolutionfist.

<<<Having a strong foundation in martial arts has given me ability. I got what I wanted from Wing Chun, the sticking, the trapping, the angles. I already know how to punch and kick. I didn't have those tools. When I had them and started beating the seniors and disciples at the school, I started to see what the school (style) lacked and moved on .>>>

I especially love the part about you "beating" seniors and disciples. No offense dude...but I think you're blowing your own horn way too much on these forums. Flame war? Some people attract flaming to them. I'm surprised that other freak Blacktaoist hasn't replied. He's as egotistical as you. Maybe you beat him senseless and that's why he stays away.

Anyway. When you say you "beat" these seniors and disciples, did this happen in ACTUAL combat or were you guys chi saoing or sparring...having a ****ing contest?? Give a definition here. What school did these so called "beatings" happen at? I'd like to know the name of the school that Evolutionfist managed to beat out of existence.
    A penny saved is... not much.

Originally posted by SifuAbel

Hint, my clip is already available on KFM.
    Hint 2, its under the word "knoweth"

Travels by night

Dude, why are you on my jock? Going to old posts and cutting and pasting? What do you want from me? You asked, I told.

You want to know my old Kung Fu school? It's Ling Nam Su Lum on Hempstead Turnpike in East Meadow, NY (Wing Chun, Hung Gar).

The S. Mantis was tough privately by my sifu, a student of Mr. Milton Chin (Uncle Milton). Maybe some people here know who that is. If you got your panties in a bunch, PM me and I'll give you his e-mail.

As for Novell. He came to my master's school about 2.5 years ago on a night I didn't train to fight and things were squashed. Then they were heated up again and I told him I would fight him but ideally I would like to have a year to train (he's MUCH bigger than me and has been training internal (actually teaching) much longer than I had been.) He was cool enough to give it to me. I forgot about it, he reminded me, I was injured from fighting and asked for two months and then we haven't spoken since.

Now, three years later I feel comfortable enough with what I know to enter a ring and fight. I know I have a lot more to learn. I also know me and Novell will probally be together again in the future, either as allies or apponants ... we actually both want the same thing, but share similiar strong viewpoints.

I saw his teacher/partner's post here not long ago and actually wanted to post and ask about a chi sau group they have but I decided not to thinking it might be taken the wrong way. An old training brother of mine now trains with them and I know they don't fool around so just wanted to see.

Other than that I don't know what to tell you, I can show you some footage from my upcoming fight or you can come see for yourself. I speak my mind when inclined. If someone posts something that I think can misdirect someone with less experience reading these posts I speak up. It's just my opinion, don't worry, it won't hurt you.

If you think lifting weights is the way to go, go lift weights and hope the guy you fight can't lift more than you. If you think you can "out tough" or "out do him with the same thing he's doing" again, good luck. I'm just the guy saying you should examine your technique and always think of the other guy as bigger, stronger and more able, and discover technical power (which does not come from hitting the heavy bag, it's a study of mechanics).