Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What's with Martial Arts Magazines these days?

Gene - do you think print media has an actual lifespan now in the face of digital? Will there come a time when the print magazine is extinct?
    "i can barely click the link. but i way why stop drinking .... i got ... moe .. fcke me ..im out of it" - GDA on Traditional vs Modern Wushu
    ---------------------------------------------
    but what if the man of steel hasta fight another man of steel only that man of steel knows kung fu? - Kristoffer
    How do you think monks/strippers got started before the internet? - Gene Ching
    Find your peace in practice. - Gene Ching

Re: kymus & gash

Originally posted by GeneChing
    kymus - how's that different then this? I'm mean call let's a spade a spade...
    What I meant, was a program for you so that all you do is click the product on some little program that is running, and it pops up the link for you. It'd be a tiny bit easier than navigating through the site. It was an amusing stupid joke almost. lol, for me anyways
    Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    like that old japanese zen monk that grabs white woman student titties to awaken them to zen, i grab titties of kung fu people to awaken them to truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sal Canzonieri View Post
    You can discuss discrepancies and so on in people's posts without ripping them apart. So easy to do sitting behind a computer screen anonymously, but in person I'm sure you'd be very different, unless you're a total misanthrope without any friends.

Print media has always had a shelf life...

... only comic books have a vintage, so to speak, but other print magazines get very dated quickly. I don't think that print magazines will ever die out completely, but there has already been some dramatic shifts in the business. Mags like Reader's Digest and TV Guide, once kings of the hill, are plummeting. Celeb mags like People and Men's mags like FHM and Maxim are starting to dominate.

On our level - the martial world - it's getting really hard to keep a nitche on the newsstands. Most newsstands only have room for one martial arts magazine, but there are so many different tastes out there - each of us is trying to specialize in it's own market, in hopes that it will dominate. So we are simlutaneously getting wider and narrower, if you can envision that.

Of course, the net has had it's effect - obviously or we wouldn't even be having this dialog. That's really where the market is at now, but not so much for outside vendors, so the mags that rely on external ads aren't really engaging it. This may change over time. Right now, many advertisers and writers are hesitant about investing in the net, just because of old preconceptions. You cna't hold the net in your hand like a mag. But you can hold it in your palm or even on your phone, which makes it ultimately more powerful. In fact, our e-zine articles tend to get more exposure than our print ones over time.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

I for one hope that the prints don't go out of style. But, even if they do, I doubt it'll be before I'm dead and gone.

I like the shiny paper. You can't feel shiny paper on the internet. Legally, at least.
    BreakProof BackŪ Back Health & Athletic Performance
    https://sellfy.com/p/BoZg/

"Who dies first," he mumbled through smashed and bloody lips.

I can't read off my desktop in the bath (or the John for that matter)
    "The man who stands for nothing is likely to fall for anything"
    www.swindonkungfu.co.uk

reading in the John...

...I'm glad our magazine keeps you regular.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart