Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Here's a link to fight footage

Aaaaah,

If you knew him you'd love him but that one hurt.

I know what he meant though. The guy fought how he told me to fight, let the guy punch himself out and then go in and finish it. The guy never really hit me, but he wore me out. He fought smarter. That's what my teacher means. Not a matter of fighting slower, but choosing battles and level of engagment, not doing stuff like punching the guys ribs with a pillowed hand when clinched. Maybe gains a point or two, but tires you out. But to work on getting free and save the punching.

If you look at the end of the round, I had him against the ropes but the punchign was undisciplines and drunk like. I was not driving off the back leg and making the uppercuts travel a tight arc, ect.

Well, live and learn and incorporate and go back and do it again, and again. In two years I'm thinking I'll be pretty good.

Originally posted by EvolutionFist
    not doing stuff like punching the guys ribs with a pillowed hand when clinched. Maybe gains a point or two, but tires you out. But to work on getting free and save the punching.
    I think you're underestimating the debilitating effects a good body shot has on the other guy's endurance; but if it didn't have enough on it and you were punching just to punch, then I can see your point.
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.
    -Jack Dempsey ch1 pg1 Championship Fighting

"The guy fought how he told me to fight, let the guy punch himself out and then go in and finish it."

I will respectfully disagree with your teacher. If you see right off the bat that your opponent is extremely aggressive and uncontrolled (that is, he's coming right at you and throwing so many excited punches that he's obviously gonna gas himself out within one round) then this strategy might work. On the other hand, if he's well conditioned and attacking you intelligently, then you most definitely do not want to wait on him to gas out. Rounds in the type of fights you're doing are probably pretty short. A well conditioned and well trained opponent will not gas himself out within such a short time frame. If you spend three rounds being defensive and waiting for him to gas while he's punching and kicking you the entire time, you will lose the decision even if he does not do any major damage to you. In these kind of fights you have a very short amount of time to either knock your opponent silly, or at least show the judges what you got. You don't want to gas yourself out, and you definitely want to use strategy. But you still have to take every opportunity to get as many good shots in on the other guy as possible.

As I said, if you can tell that the guy is about to gas himself out, then by all means cover, move and let him finish himself off. But you don't want to always depend on this strategy because its too passive.

"...you know the thing that took the most out of me was getting thrown..."

...learn to throw.
    The more you know the less you need to show.

May you be filled with loving kindness.
    May you be well.
    May you be peaceful and at ease.
    May you be happy.

the clip isn't working.

I really disagree that you wore yourself out by punching him in the gut - I got in a single solid gut shot in one of my fights and it made him significantly weaker. You may have wore yourself out by punching in the clinch and missing or clashing with his arms, however. When my sifu taught me clinch work, there were a lot of rabbit hooks to the side of the head as well as body shots.

When I say your technique was good, I mean that your structure and stance looked good and that I saw you winning the battle of arm vs arm, it reminded me of Xing-Yi sometimes where you kind of bounced his arm away with the forearm of your punch or manipulated it slightly to create room to land.

Here's an example of what my Sifu used to do to train

Jump rope 15-30 minutes a day

go 10 rounds punching on the heavy bag, with 20 incline situps between each round.

etc....insane airshield and thai pads circuits....

Link down. Someone host it please?
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.