Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jow ga Forms (JOW PEOPLE)

Jow ga Forms (JOW PEOPLE)

Whats the differents between malaysian Jow ga forms Jow ga In Hong Kong Jow ga. I see different variations for the southern and northern greets among all Jow ga schools.

Don't know? I haven't seen much of the Malaysian schools. My sifu is from Hong Kong under Chow Biu. There are other Chow Gar (Jow Ga) schools in my city but they are from a lineage that goes back through Vietnam to Hong Kong. Their forms and application are different to ours.

The differences reflect where Jow ga branches off from Jow Biu -->Chan Man Cheung and Lau Hoe Lurng. Most of what is Jow ga in the states is from Cheung, Lau Hoe Lurng took Jow ga to Vietnam opening the first ever Jow ga school there so that could help explain a little of why you see a difference.

Also there is Jow ga in Australia that has wushu added to it by Randy Bennett.
    Last edited by RENEGADE_MONK; 04-04-2004 at 12:02 PM.

Why would someone learn a traditional art like Jow Ga, then add Wushu to it? Kinda defeats the purpose, no?

ozzy jow gar

Yo, there is grandmaster Lee he is real jow gar and there is some of his students around teaching. One of them is sifu andy troung that teaches bak mei and lung ying as well.

FT

Originally posted by cerebus
    Why would someone learn a traditional art like Jow Ga, then add Wushu to it? Kinda defeats the purpose, no?
    Actually he is legit, Sifu Bennett is pretty skilled. He studied under Dean Chin here in DC, he then relocated to Honk Kong and studied directly under Chan Man Cheung.

Here's a link to his site http://www.jowgaleichhardt.com.au/sifu.php

http://jowga.com.au/jowga_frame.html

Re: ozzy jow gar

Originally posted by fiercest tiger
    Yo, there is grandmaster Lee he is real jow gar and there is some of his students around teaching. One of them is sifu andy troung that teaches bak mei and lung ying as well.

FT
    From my understanding, Dean Chin also taught Bak Mei and Lung Ying, or taught a few forms, because he knew those styles before Studying Jow Ga. Don't quote me, it's been a while.

RM

Sounds like you are familiar with Jow Ga. Who is it you study with? I have studied a little here on the west coast, just enough to get my feet wet and really wanting to dive into the deep end with it!!

Re: Re: ozzy jow gar

Originally posted by kungfuyou

From my understanding, Dean Chin also taught Bak Mei and Lung Ying, or taught a few forms, because he knew those styles before Studying Jow Ga. Don't quote me, it's been a while.
    Yes Dean Chin did learn Bak Mei, Eagle Claw, and a few others, but he didn't really teach them per se to the students because he wanted them learn strictly Jow Ga!! and what he did teach only the top students got to learn what he knew.

Sounds like you are familiar with Jow Ga. Who is it you study with?
    I started in Jow Ga back in the 80's under Sifu Wong, have been in and out of it over the years. whose your sifu over there in Cali?
    Last edited by RENEGADE_MONK; 04-08-2004 at 11:33 AM.

Re: Re: Re: ozzy jow gar

Originally posted by RENEGADE_MONK

Yes Dean Chin did learn Bak Mei, Eagle Claw, and a few others, but he didn't really teach them per se to the students because he wanted them learn strictly Jow Ga!! and what he did teach only the top students got to learn what he knew.

I started in Jow Ga back in the 80's under Sifu Wong, have been in and out of it over the years. whose your sifu over there in Cali?

I have studied a bit with Sifu Maurice Gatdula in Sacramento. He's been away for awhile so I haven't had a chance to study, but am DYING to continue!!

Re: Re: Re: Re: ozzy jow gar

I have studied a bit with Sifu Maurice Gatdula in Sacramento. He's been away for awhile so I haven't had a chance to study, but am DYING to continue!!
    ahhhh..Tell Sihing Maurice John says hi!! I was one of his classmates you are gonna learn alot, you couldn't learn from a better sifu

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: ozzy jow gar

Originally posted by RENEGADE_MONK
    ahhhh..Tell Sihing Maurice John says hi!! I was one of his classmates you are gonna learn alot, you couldn't learn from a better sifu
    Well next time I see him I sure will! So far it's been fun learning, and like I said I'm just dying to continue, so I'm looking forward to learning whatever he wants to teach me!

Cool Chin did teach bak mei

I have footage of his senior students one is doing a bak mei form called sup jee kuen. I think the other one is plum flower form of jow gar!

FT

Thumbs up NICE

Any way I could get a copy of that footage??????

Re: NICE

Any way I could get a copy of that footage??????