Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My curiosity will probably get me killed here....

My curiosity will probably get me killed here....

....but I have to know.

Only recently have I been reading this particular board in the forums. And I stumbled across a post that seemed to poke fun at specific martial weapons....most notably, the nunchaku and sai.

Someone wanna fill me in....it seems like its been a long running forum joke.
    -Mike

"If you do not wish to grasp the thorn, you should not crave the rose."

strange no responce yet, there were more than just one person involved in the discussion....
    -Mike

"If you do not wish to grasp the thorn, you should not crave the rose."

I have no knowledge of any inside joke concerning chucks or sai, personally.
    "If you and I agree all the time, then one of us is unnecessary."

It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument.
    - William G. McAdoo

Against stupidity, even the Gods contend in vain...

well, the inside joke is that they are not chinese martial arts weapons.

is that a joke though? or is it just the guys who run "kungfu" schools but teach karate who are a joke?

is that an inside joke though? or is it right there like a turd on the table?

seriously, I'll point at the turd on the table and say "hey, isn't that a turd on the table?" lol "of course it is" better wipe it off.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Originally posted by Kung Lek
    well, the inside joke is that they are not chinese martial arts weapons.

is that a joke though? or is it just the guys who run "kungfu" schools but teach karate who are a joke?

is that an inside joke though? or is it right there like a turd on the table?

seriously, I'll point at the turd on the table and say "hey, isn't that a turd on the table?" lol "of course it is" better wipe it off.
    wait doesnt wah lum have the nunchucks and sai as weapon forms?
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

I study Chen taiji at a Wah lum school and I've never seen them using sais or nunchuks. They use the three sectional staff, double butterfly swords and double daggers.

I don't know about Numb Chucks, but I do seem to remember some Southern Chinese schools have the Sai. It's called something else, and it is used a bit differently than the standard Karate version.
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

so WL doesnt use NC or Sai's.
    but doesnt shaolin-do?
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

Some schools claiming southern chinese heritage do use sai and a nunchucku, and that has been debated as whether it is traditional or evidence that they are fake or subsummed into their art after it left Southern China. Please read those threads for the specifics; however, both the sai and nunchucku have been recently featured in KFM which sparked some of the discussion here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

It has yet to be proven whether or not those Southern styles either imported or exported the weapons in question.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

The sai, a common hand pitchfork, and the nunchaku, a common rice flail, were used by many asian countries in farming rice. The chinese version of these impliments were slightly longer.

They can appear in styles that have a provincial background.
    Last edited by SifuAbel; 04-12-2004 at 11:35 AM.

It's funny how simple tools are now viewed as exotic deadly weapons by a lot of people.

those weapons...

the sai is a southern praying mantis weapon. I doubt they were used to catch swords and break them like Rapheal, the ninja turtle, used them. They were used to striking and ripping.

That's what I heard anyway.

There are very few weapons on the "street" that can be used like nunchucks.
    A penny saved is... not much.

Originally posted by backbreaker
    It's funny how simple tools are now viewed as exotic deadly weapons by a lot of people.
    A screwdriver is deadly if I stick it in your eyeball.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Re: those weapons...

Originally posted by travelsbyknight
    the sai is a southern praying mantis weapon. I doubt they were used to catch swords and break them like Rapheal, the ninja turtle, used them. They were used to striking and ripping.

That's what I heard anyway.

There are very few weapons on the "street" that can be used like nunchucks.
    hey man, havent you seen kung pow? he uses to gerbals or something as nunchucks.
    like sifu abel im sure most people knew they were farming weapons, jsut weather or not the styles incorporated them, i think msot people think of japanese styles when nthey say nunchuck or sai is what im guessing.