Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Who are the southern mantis people

So what do you think of shaolin inviting him to bring the art back to the temple and being recognised by them as custodian of the art?

:p

well i dont know anything about the last few years attachment of + shaolin wushu to name of chow gar tong long regarding Teacher henry sue's school.

making a trip / being invited to shoalin temple is nice and many schools do it. His older brother, Teacher Malcolm did this quite some years ago and i think does it yearly still.

now for the tricky part

briefly,

i think u may have the custodian thing mixed up.
    first naturally henan shaolin have no authority or right to make any such thing.
    Master ip shui does.
    im guessing ur thinking of when Teacher henry sue was given the custodianship by Master ip shui in the early 90s (approx)
    move along quite some years and Master ip shui revoked the custodianship and Teacher henry sue is no the official representative anymore for Master ip sui chow gar tong long pai.
    Teacher henry sue has developed his own method of chow gar tong long.
    the current aust. representative for Master ip shui is Teacher Paul Brennan.
    there are also other non-"main line" (for lack better word) groups of chow gar tong long students deriving from the chow gar pioneers in australia as well. and new styles developed eg. ho se tong long.

that is the current fact, so naturally this can get a little uneasy, with some politics etc...

so back onto track with nam tong long!:

how are u finding your training? enjoying it?
    chi sao is a killer hey! :P

Peace
    Last edited by 5thBrother; 04-09-2004 at 09:28 PM.

Yes Ive not encontered this aspect of training yet(Im at a basic level)Tong long is great ive not done any art as effective in the past.Regardless of whos brand you do I dont think the essence of it is lost like what has happened to Wing Chun.Pok sou jongs are my among my favorites but for me its the heun jarn jong love it!

Quote:Regardless of whos brand you do I dont think the essence of it is lost like what has happened to Wing Chun.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

A different view. All depends on who one learns from and how well they learn it and can apply it....both in southern mantis and wing chun. The mantis world is just smaller and quieter.

When I gar sou I cant get the opponents arm accross their body far enough and i always end up on the out side.Any tips?

CHI KUNG

Doesnt SPM have chi kung? 18 Swiming dragons?

FT

Re: CHI KUNG

Originally posted by fiercest tiger
    Doesnt SPM have chi kung? 18 Swiming dragons?

FT

All SPM, indeed, most (some would say all), CMA's have Chi Gung.

18 Swimming Dragons is peticular in name to the Chow Gar branch of SPM, it is sometimes taught as two solo forms and a corresponding two-man form.

The Jook Lum of Lum Wing Fay has a form called 18 Points. And it too, is taught as solo and two-man forms,

Both forms invoke a sense of smoothness and flow into the training and while the motions of Chow Gar and Lum's Jook Lum are similar, the way power manifests itself is different in each system.

-jo

Re: Gar Sou

guyincognito,would you describe Gar Sou in more detail? Because some
    terminology is different between Jook Lum and Chow gar. Like instead
    of Sou(sao) we use Shu and a technique may have a similar term, but sometimes not.
    Thanks

:P

When I gar sou I cant get the opponents arm accross their body far enough and i always end up on the out side. Any tips?

STANCE! grip, sink and root ur stance get power from ur legs. lat muscles, ribs muscles, shoulders. and INTENT

and the correct LINE/ANGLE of the technique which ur sifu will help u with..

i guess not much help.. :P
    but STANCE might be helpful..

u mean like right gar sao to ur partners right gar sao right?

what pok sao jongs and hun jarn jongs do u do atm if u would like to discribe them?

jook lum:

gar sao in chow gar is an upward and outward motion backfist kinda of motion ... if that makes sense :/ this is NOT really it but: think your partner does a left punch or hook and u right fist his inside arm or block with the forearm part.

someone else can explain better im sure.

take care all spm peoples

Juts tarin hard and enjoy~

mo lum yut ga! - martial art is 1 family!
    Last edited by 5thBrother; 04-12-2004 at 01:45 AM.

Re: :P

what pok sao jongs and hun jarn jongs do u do atm if u would like to discribe them?

Well Pok sou jongs ive learnt are: Pok,gar ,bill
    ok,grab arm,pei sou
    Gar sou jongs:Gar,pok,pei
    :gar,pei low.pei to head
    :gar,grab,pok,control,gar choy
    Heun jarn is only one so far thatsok,gar,elbow,pei sou

Gar sou is a phoenix eye fist that goes out like a punch and a back hand.
    fong sou is a wiping/catching motion with an open palm.
    Gar choy is drop fist or downwards hammer fist any more questions I cant think at the moment.Ten past twelve and been workin all day.AAAHHH!

Here this might help! Sifu says its better to show you then tell you so here goes
    Last edited by guy incognito; 04-12-2004 at 05:57 PM.

And this.

More here.

And the hits keep commin!

And another!