Thread: Private Lessons

8StalksOfRice Guest

Private Lessons

Anyone taken private lessons?

Can you tell me how much they helped?
    Also generally from your experience, much they usually run as far as cost?
    Thanks in advance..

Martial Joe Guest
    My teacher teaches out of his home.
    There is 4 students total.
    And only 2 of us go normaly.
    It is basicaly private lessons,and I only have to pay 50 a month.

Now isnt that just so cool...

IXIJoe KaveyIXI
    I am Sharky's main man...

SeongChiSao Guest

private lessons

i have taken atleast one private lesson a week since i started in WC along with public classes, they helped me tremendously, having and hour or so touching hands with my sifu and having his complete attention helped my skill and understanding of WC grow much faster the students just going to public classes, i would learn and pick up things alot quicker then in a public class and have alot of my questions answered, but then the public classes allow me to try out what i learned in the private with all the other students, i think taking privates and publics complement each other, but you cant beat having time training with just you and your sifu, i dont know about other schools but privates classes cost for me 20 an hour, i have heard other sifu's of wing chun and other styles charging much more, as in 65 and hour and up, depends on the teacher.

wingchunalex Guest

privates rock

i'm getting private lessons as a perk of helping teach. i help teach the kids class and adult class. and so does my wing chun brother who started at the same time as me. my sifu just offered them to us because he wanted to work with us specially. its also hard to get a lot of quality time in with sifu during normal class because my friend and i are always distracted by making sure other studdents aren't doning things wrong and stuff. and so the new students don't get to just pick up advanced stuff before they were ready. im mean, i never even saw the dummy form done untill my 4th year. its better this way cause then the new students focus on what they are doing and not what the advanced people are doing. (example-my sifu was teaching some stick fighting, he showed me something a little more complicated that looked cool, and some new students tried to do it before they could even twirle the stick well). my privates are free, and i love them. its nice cause they are just for what i need to work on. not like leading basic drills for the whole class like usual.

know yourself don't show yourself, think well of yorself don't tell of yourself. lao tzu

dlew308 Guest
    wow that's good....
    too bad I can't view your AVIs cos I don't do windoze

dlew308 Guest
    ok i can view em now :)
    I found a player for linux

Nichiren Guest
    I have some experience with LT WT and they offered an instructors program at some schools. If you paid some money(~5000$) you practically lived in the kwoon and trained full time for a year(with top instructors). After this time you received the 10:th SG which otherwise under normal conditions took 3-4 years.

Is this unique for LT WT or do other lineages have the same system? I haven't attended this program myself but those who have are really good.

SeongChiSao Guest

one year prgram

i believe duncan leung offers a similar program, becoming a sifu under him in a year.

Printer Guest
    >Anyone taken private lessons?
    I am and they ROCK!!! Once every other week.

>Can you tell me how much they helped?
    Example:
    I have done bong sau/lap sau <SP> drills in regular class. But the last personal I had, Sifu showed me exactly what was supposed to be happening. I am here to tell you - I never knew even half of what you actually had to do, let alone attempt. Being so new I still have a problem "getting off of the force". My eyes have been opened wide.

>Also generally from your experience, much they usually run as far as cost?
    My sessions are one hour long and cost $35 US.

chessGMwannabe Guest
    right now I'm taking private lessons exclusively, and its quite an experience. I pay 75 moneys per month, which I think is great for how good my in structor is. I've learned a lot more faster since I've started privates, but I also try to get some of the regular classes whenever I go back to my home town, becuase it's great to try out your stuff on people your own level.
    --kevin

Nichiren Guest

SiFu in a year??

SeongChiSao: Wow, how can you become a SiFu in one year? In LT WT you cannot become a SiFu easy. You have to obtain at least the 2TG(~10years of training fulltime)and you have to be "suitable". I guess "suitable" means you can kick ass and take names, and know the right people(politics?).

Sihing73 Guest

Advancing in the system

Hello,

I think that when one considers the traininig programs outlined, WT and Duncan Leung, one must take into consideration the fact that these are "full-time" training programs. In other words the training becomes your job. Both programs can be considered expensive and, unless I am mistaken, do not include "living expenses". Therefore, you would still need a means of supporting youself if you wanted to participate.

Still, if one is able to devote this time into training I know that the WT program included at least 8 hours of training a day. However, this training is not with the same person as it is broken into blocks and you may train with various seniors at various times. This has the advantage of exposing you to other touches. Still, it does not mean you will train "exclusively" with the Sifu of your choice. I am not sure about Duncan Leungs program. If you could devote this amount of time into training then it would be comparable to spending more time in the system in a shorter period of time than as a regular student attending class a few times a week. Conversely, it might be considered to be the same as some of our forebearers who held jobs, had a family and trained Wing Chun in China of years past :)

I know that the Jow Ga people used to have a similiar program but I belive all expenses were included and it lasted for three years. The expectation was that one would take the training and skill developed and use it to spread the art.

Private lessons have their place and the opportunity to train one on one or in a small group with a Sifu is time well spent. However, in the beginning levels, IMHO, time spent in regular class can be just as rewarding. When one begins to expound and refine techniques already learned is, to me, when the true value of private lessons becomes apparent.

Peace,

Dave