Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Grappling

Originally posted by dodger87
    I've seen lots of grappling clips where the guy tackles his opponent on to the ground, and most of the time they are just rushing towards them. Howcome no one tries to kick or knee them as when they rush towards their opponent their upper body is in a really low position.
    momentum, a body in motion tends to stay in motion.

If he is going full steam ahead and you don't knock him out with your kick or knee expect to be on the ground. Even if you ko him, his momentum might still be enough to knock you over.

Learn to sprawl.

Originally posted by dodger87
    I've seen lots of grappling clips where the guy tackles his opponent on to the ground, and most of the time they are just rushing towards them. Howcome no one tries to kick or knee them as when they rush towards their opponent their upper body is in a really low position.
    coupla things - first one is distance - there's not much and it's closed fast. you may not have enough room to kick. You may be able to knee, which brings up the second point - it's a one shot deal - if you don't knock him out with that one shot, you're still going down.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

one option

I had a guy shoot in on me to do a two leg takedown and I front kicked him in the face, i guess he wasn't expecting that. Anyway, yeah, abody in motion, so he continued to come forward but now more like a tree falling. He wrapped his arms around my waist & I pushed the back of his head down bending his neck as hard as I could, while pumping uppercuts into his face as many as I could.
    That took a lot of steam out of him.
    Master...Teach me kung fu.

he had to have had the telegraph from hades - was he a grappler?
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

I think he thought he was a grappler

Yeah, I saw him set up for a takedown attempt from like five feet away.

I liked how he didn't even have enough of a Plan B formed, to get the *&#$ off me when he started to receive his pounding.

Chin na also offers many responses to many forms of attack.

B_d

I've seen lots of grappling clips where the guy tackles his opponent on to the ground, and most of the time they are just rushing towards them.
    this statement right here tells me that either:

a. you're unfamiliar with what you were watching (non-pejoritive here, don't want a fight) or
    2. they didn't know how to do a proper takedown

tackling looks VERY different from properly executed takedowns.
    "In the world of martial arts, respect is often a given. In the real world, it must be earned."

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. "--Bertrand Russell

"Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. "--Benjamin Disraeli

"A conservative government is an organised hypocrisy."--Benjamin Disraeli

Originally posted by Merryprankster

tackling looks VERY different from properly executed takedowns.
    I wish more people would recognize this!

Okay then, if someone was about to execute a takedown on you guys, what would you guys do?

And another question, howcome front kicks aren't very popular? in all of the K-1 clips i've seen everybody uses side kicks.

Okay then, if someone was about to execute a takedown on you guys, what would you guys do?
    defend the takedown through superior body positioning, then attack when i am no longer in danger.

want to learn to do this?

find a decent stand-up grappler.
    "In the world of martial arts, respect is often a given. In the real world, it must be earned."

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. "--Bertrand Russell

"Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. "--Benjamin Disraeli

"A conservative government is an organised hypocrisy."--Benjamin Disraeli

"Okay then, if someone was about to execute a takedown on you guys, what would you guys do?"

U don't have to go to a BJJ school to defend takedowns. Go to a wrestling class/camp and they'll teach u defense against all sorts of takedowns. A lot of MMA classes do that also. Since I'm not training for a MMA fight...and only for street...I usually work on Double Leg defense. The more common street tackles used by thugs.

"And another question, howcome front kicks aren't very popular? in all of the K-1 clips i've seen everybody uses side kicks."

In MMA fights...a front kick leaves u open for a takedown cause the recovery time to reset your stance. Also it's easy to spot.
    A

"And another question, howcome front kicks aren't very popular? in all of the K-1 clips i've seen everybody uses side kicks."

--They actually throw a lot of roundhouses too.

About front & side kicks. I've found that it's easier to injure your toes with a front kick than a side kick.
    A side kick can be thrown with power from the front leg, but a front side front kick?? The front kicks power is much diminished using the front leg. & throwing the rear one takes a lot more travel time to reach the target.

I used the front kick in my situation because the guy's head was lowered & his upper body hunched in such a way that I wanted to use vertically rising energy (front kick) instead of horizontal travelling energy.

Caveats for front kick. Takes a long time to hit. Leaves you in unstable position. Don't strike with toes or they'll say and they'll be little purple balloon animals for weeks & your girlfriend will say and what happened then she'll be like