Thread: "never go to the ground if you don't have to."

"never go to the ground if you don't have to."

Found something interesting on the net, that you guys might enjoy:

Groundwork
    Some people say that ground fighting is just like stand up fighting -- untrue. It's much harder. I spent years in judo and some time in BJJ and will state, everyone needs direct and simple training to deal with the ground -- especially getting up fast,and that was the theme here. The same exceptional crew, Christian and Johnny, taught the groundwork. The emphasis was "never go to the ground if you don't have to." There are so many more variables on the ground; you could hurt yourself with glass or metal, your attacker could have several friends jump on you, etc., all essential elements were taught.
    You can read all about it over here:
    http://www.realfighting.com/issue6/mccann.html

See ya round you bunch of wannabee warriors.

I haven't read the whole article, but that quote, especially the part highlighted sounds remarkably like common sense that virtually no one would disagree with.
    All my fight strategy is based on deliberately injuring my opponents. -
    Crippled Avenger

"It is the same in all wars; the soldiers do the fighting, the journalists do the shouting, and no true patriot ever get near a front-line trench, except on the briefest of propoganda visits...Perhaps when the next great war comes we may see that sight unprecendented in all history, a jingo with a bullet-hole in him."

First you get good, then you get fast, then you get good and fast.

aside from the rare and random nutrider that trots in from another forum, i don't think i've seen anyone say, "go to the ground even if you don't have to."

it's like sex: you need to be skilled in many ranges and positions -- and practice them regularly -- if you wish to be successful.
    " i wonder how many people take their post bone marrow transplant antibiotics with amberbock" -- GDA

Originally posted by rubthebuddha

it's like sex: you need to be skilled in many ranges and positions -- and practice them regularly -- if you wish to be successful.
    OK RTB, you are not going to be my ground-fighting training partner!
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

I don't think it's a matter of "have to" as much as a matter of "no choice."

I never see the need to have to go down. If I'm much bigger or better than the guy I can throw him around at will. But if he's bigger or better than me there's a chance he can get to me and take me down .... no choice in the matter. I can only choose how I deal with being down.

Personally, I prefer crying like a little girl and begging for forgiveness.
    "In the world of martial arts, respect is often a given. In the real world, it must be earned."

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. "--Bertrand Russell

"Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. "--Benjamin Disraeli

"A conservative government is an organised hypocrisy."--Benjamin Disraeli

Personally, I prefer crying like a little girl and begging for forgiveness.
    yes, we know From what I understand you like to cry after sex too, unless 7* is lying.....

Hold me?
    "In the world of martial arts, respect is often a given. In the real world, it must be earned."

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. "--Bertrand Russell

"Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. "--Benjamin Disraeli

"A conservative government is an organised hypocrisy."--Benjamin Disraeli