Thread: Forearm Strikes

Question Forearm Strikes

I practise my forearm strikes by doing shoulder rotations and individual techniques.

I want to know if there are any ways of increasing the power of my forearm strikes because i think they have a lot of potential.

Any thoughts?

S
    Black Mantis

When you train your techniques, make sure your force is not isolated to just coming from arm motion. Make sure you are using full body motion and that the strikes are coordinated with explosive foot work.

You can also pay particular attention to waist snapping force, sinking force, and timing your strike so that you connect and transfer energy before your footwork completely settles down.

Also, pay attention not just to the immediate motion that you are training, but also to the preceding motions because sometimes those are the ones slowing you down or throwing off your power.

It's not just absolute speed which generates your striking force. Be aware of relative speed. So for example, if you use white ape invites guest to set up for the hook punch/forearm, make sure the motion causes the opponent to fly right into your forearm smash. The setup should snap your opponent off balance to the point of giving him whiplash even before you hit him. Previous descriptions of generating power apply here as well.

Also, it's good to do body conditioning with a partner to toughen up your forearms. Work at that gradually, until over several months time, you are able to smash your forearms together at full force, and the sound can be heard from 50 feet away.

N.

I find doing figure 8 sticks cross centreline helps forearm strength in general, try using something heavier ...there are many ways...shaolin rings will help you develop power and so will various other weighted excercises like tricep extensions and wrist curls .....also some good stretches will give you more use of your forearms and the benifits will be cumlative with your nxt workout ...also try tricep dips off a chair...the lower and further out your legs the better

Black mantis,
    Which one?
    There is the chopping motion strike.

There is the hook punch, but it uses the inside of the forearm to the head or neck.

There is the outside leading edge to the neck.
    It is like the opposite of the hook punch.

For solo I drill from the form or hit the bag.

The chopping can be done on the iron palm bag and hit with the forearm.

Also, for all three there is some partner work where you hit with all your power and try to mow down the defense.

it's irrelevant...whatever action you anticipate doing with your forearm..(or any other part of your body)...add weight or resistence and simulate it in any way you can