Thread: First Dao

First Dao

A few months ago I decided to try and make a sword. After first making a dagger to see what I could do I made this Dao. As you can see, it's full tang. The handle is made out of Corian(trademark Dupont Corp.). It's a synthetic polymer for countertops with ceramic in it. Definately a great material to work and finishes execellently. I've been using the sword a bit so the polish is starting to haze alot. The metal is just mild steel, I didn't bother trying to harden it because it was mostly an experiment, which at this point I'm hoping turns into more than such. The handguard is solid 3/16th inch brass, it too was polished to a mirror shine but after a few weeks of use is starting to loose it. The next sword I make will put a layer of automotive clearcoat on it so it won't tarnish.

What do you folks think? Any comment or constructive critizism is welcome.

-Will

I think you did a fine job, Will.
    What did you use as a pattern? Have you thought of trying to go with an oval shape guard with a flange?
    Last edited by BM2; 06-04-2004 at 10:26 PM.
    VOTE FOR PEDRO '08

Ever notice how virtually everyone agrees that 95% of all traditional schools are crap, but NOBODY ever admits to being in that 5%? Don't judge... your skill may suck also...
    Quote from SevenStar

Just call me the Shaolin Do Wet Blanket. Gene Ching

Nice!
    Its exciting to see blacksmiths on KFMonline. Is it combat gauge steel or Wushu? Again, nice work.

How the balance on it?
    CPA's current P4P List:
    -Bas Rutten
    -Captain Jack Sparrow
    -Cindy Lauper
    -Lester Moonvest

This is the first knife I've ever made. I also have no previous metal working experience.

It's full tang like the Dao, the second picture is crappy but shows this. The scales are Corian(TM Dupont Corp.) like the Dao. I put about 30 hours into the dagger, the learning curve was pretty steep to get it to look like I wanted. Especially considering I did it in a woodworking shop(My woodworking experience isn't exactly... long either, just have access to a good woodshop). The Dao took me about 15 hours.

The blade is once again not the best metal for making knife/swords. It's a piece of 1inch by 1/8th inch I bought down at Lowes to give it a try. I did however harden this in a fairly... "shade tree" fashion. Did it with a hair dryer aimed at the blade in a woodstove. Was in shock when I litterly had the fire hot enough I couldn't look straight at it. Whatever works. :twisted:

I need to grind and edge on it, but I think it would hold one for a bit unlike the Dao.

-Will

Originally posted by BM2
    I think you did a fine job, Will.
    What did you use as a pattern? Have you thought of trying to go with an oval shape guard with a flange?
    The guard itself is oval shaped. Of course no flange. I'm working on getting setup to mold solid pommel ends and flanges. I just took a piece of 3/16ths stock solid brass and cut out the gaurd then fit it on. The entire handle does not come apart. It's epoxied and pinned with 5/16th brass studs. I modeled the base pattern after a friend's combat steel Dao.

CPA, the metal is just a piece of junk mild steel another friend of mine got from his place of employment as scrap. The next one I make I will use annealed tool steel to make the blade and then harden it. Also, this blade has not taper in it, it's 1/8th inch thick from the top to the pommel. This effects the balance a bit, but not signifigantly. I also found that I made the handle a bit too long. The balance doesn't feel right unless your hand is as far back on the handle as it can go. Next one I will find a way to hollow grind and taper, shorten the handle, etc. That's what the first one is for, to learn.

-Will

Thumbs up great job!!

Angelsword.com these guys might be who you would want to ask questions of if you are wanting to get in to the actual tempering of the blade.

Good looking sword

PEACE,,TWS
    It makes me mad when people say I turned and ran like a scared rabbit. Maybe it was like an angry rabbit, who was going to fight in another fight, away from the first fight.

AWESOME!!

It's good to see a fellow metal worker on board!!

I actually have an ATS-34 Bowie (Similar to a Ka Bar) and a broad sword in the planning stages.

For the Broad Sword, I want to start out with 1/4, or 3/8th stock at the handle, and taper it to about a 1/6 th at the pointy edge. I'm thinking this will transfer more weight to the handle, and balance it better as a Broad sword is so blade heavy by it's nature.

I want to make the handle out of a good rope, or maybe something along the lines of para cord, similar to the old EK Warrior Bowies.

Sure, it won't be a purely traditional in designe with a handle like that, but as everyone here knows, I put my own touch on every thing I do, so it would be fitting.
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

Nice Will! I didn't know that you were that talented! Good dao's are hard to find in my opinion. Bring it to the test in a couple of weeks. I'd like to feel it.

I may commision you to make me one some day!
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

Thanks for the complements folks, JP especially. I'll be happy to bring it by the test. I had it up there last time I was at the Hua seminar and let Masters Mullins see it, he had a suggestion or two for me(pretty much why I wanted him to see it) and gave me his typical affirmative nod.

TWS, thanks for the link, that may prove useful. They definately have some nice blades.

-Will