Thread: Mantis Quarterly

Mantis Quarterly

List Members,

I would like to publically thank Sifu Robert Hui, Shifu Kevin Brazier and Sifu Jochen Wolfgramm for their contributions to the second issue of '04.

Shifu Hui once again presents excellent and detailed material on the elbows and their use in Tanglang. I appreciated the photo sequence he included that illustrates both technical and tactical considerations of this weapon. Sifu Hui's willingness to share technically accurate technique and theory in realistic execution is phenomenal.

Shifu Brazier of Ponglai presented a lavish display of the masters opinions and theories of Fanche and Lulu. His research is, I believe, unequaled here in the West and is reflected in the quality of Ponglai's Gongfu! For those who have not seen them, check them out!

Sifu Wolfgramm gave an excellent overview of the status of Tanglang in Germany. It is, like all Tanglang, rife with opportunities to offend yet, at my request, Sifu Wolfgramm undertook this task and fulfilled it well. I have been in touch with the German Tanglang community more of late and cannot wait to go and visit, perhaps this fall!

Thanks to people like these who do the work and take the chances public exposure brings with it, the Quarterly continues to offer the world's best information on the art of Tanglang and its community. It is a priveledge to work with practitioners such as these.

Steve Cottrell
    Last edited by MantisifuFW; 05-29-2004 at 01:22 PM.
    www.mantisquarterly.com
    www.authentickungfu.com

Smile Sincere thank you, Sifu Cottrell

I am deeply honored and touched by the acknowledgement.

Having the oppotunity to work with an excellent team on a meaningful project headed by a great visionary such as Sifu Cottrell, is a very rewarding experience in itself.

The latest issue of MQ is one of the finest examples of Sifu Cottrell's quest for excellence. I have always wanted to read a publication that devotes to the essences of the Mantis system. That is to say one that puts the martial back to the art and present it in a written format. I believe this time the editor of MQ did just that. If there is one flaw with the MQ, it would be the shortness of it. Now I will have to wait eagerly for another exciting issue to arrive. But I believe it will be all worth it.

Sifu Cottrell, you have provided the first unique oppotunity to properly document Mantis Kung Fu arround the world in English language. I don't think the MQ has yet received its just recognization nor its rightful place in the history of worldwide PM evolution. But with a leadship of a grand vision, I am sure that goal is attainable. This task would not be possible without the help of the like minded practitioners. We are indeed fortunate to have seen the great contributions from Master Lee Kam Wing, Master John Chang, etc... I hope more will follow from these and other mantis greats.

With deep and sincere appreciation,

Robert Hui
    Contraria Sunt Complementa

對敵交手歌訣

凡立勢不可站定。凡交手須是要走。千着萬着﹐走為上着﹐進為高着﹐閃賺騰挪為
    妙着。

CCK TCPM in Yellowknife

TJPM Forum

Once again a high quality read. Well done to all involve. Especially loved Kevin Brazier's article on Fanche and Lulu, very misunderstood, core methods of our art. If you haven't read it you're missing out.

bt

P.S- maybe there will be a Rafael Matute article in the next issue???

Hi, my name's Kirk. I train with John Wicker in Indianapolis under Sifu Dwight Edwards. I'm a latecomer to mantis; I spent my time in Hapkido (couple of years in undergrad) Judo and Wing Chun (Ip Man, Siu Luk Men, Chad Williams) before belately discovering mantis.

Please pardon my obvious ignorance but in reading the article I did not see the terms "fanche" and "lulu" defined. From the pic, I gather that "fanche" in a double Mount Tai falls on Incense Burner? Or, am I way off (as usual)?

If someone would advise, I thank you for your time.
    Not a shi-fu, just a pifu.

Is mantis quartlerly a magaqine or an e-magazine or just a article on the net? If it cost anything could anyone tell me what the cost would be and how to get it?

Thanks

Fanche Lulu

ET,

There are differing translations for the two terms Fanche and Lulu. The author of the article, Kevin Brazier of Ponglai Tanglang, chose not to translate them.

As you are a student of John Wicker, I know that you are of Wong Hon Fun, lineage. Let me give a discription.

It is the double arm swinging strikes, resembling a windmill, found in the Wong Hon Fun sets Dai Fan Che, Posture 4, in Muy Fa Sao Posture 14.

Lulu is the single arm circling movement in posture 7 of Dai Fan Che and Posture 35 of Dai Gui Sik.

I guess I would translate Fanche as a turning wheel and Lulu as windlass. However in our classes we use the Chinese terminology as it is pretty much universally understood.

I hope this helps,

Steve Cottrell
    www.mantisquarterly.com
    www.authentickungfu.com

Check us out

Saylock,

Have a look at our website for information or contact me private.

www.mantisquarterly.com
    www.mantisquarterly.com
    www.authentickungfu.com

Thanks much for the heads up!

I have so far to go in this. My goal is to learn one thing every day. Thanks much.
    Not a shi-fu, just a pifu.