Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: San Shou, a great thing for stand up fighters!

That bendy dstell used by the wushu guys in competition is called Wushu steel and it is practical for demostartions since it light and flashy.
    I know, I'm an assistant instructor in Jow Gar Kuen, I know all about the different kinds of swords you can buy. I still think wushu steel is just way to make a tinfoil sword sound cooler.

Yeah but the sad thing about the application is that you don't see them in sparring competition because peolple learn and practice applications but they don't know how to use them while sparring even if they already are second nature to them. So they stick with the tradeing blows sequences and stick with the basics(which is actually not a bad thing). That why kung fu looks like kickboxing in a saprring competition. This is a bad habit that I think people should overcome. But imagine if there isn't much decent traditional masters tere is even less that teach you who to sapr this way. Sifu Wong Kiew Kit who I deeply respect is one of these teachers.

P.S. This is also the reason people think tht San Shou is Chinese Kickboxing.

Yeah and I agree about SYM not knowing his fighing applications, it seems he was trained more modern minded.

Wong Kiew Kit's a bit too out there for my tastes... I wouldn't mind learning his moving clouds with qi technique though The weather around here's sucked lately

I was reading some articles about the whole fake v.s real monk issue in russbo.com and I learn that alot of shaolin monks are also displeased with SYM carachter and behavior. Shi Yan Chang is one of them. Shi eng Guan is another one(in fact he even help SYM set up his first school but was disillusioned by Yan Ming's behavior and character.)

Yeah but the sad thing about the application is that you don't see them in sparring competition because peolple learn and practice applications but they don't know how to use them while sparring even if they already are second nature to them. So they stick with the tradeing blows sequences and stick with the basics(which is actually not a bad thing). That why kung fu looks like kickboxing in a saprring competition. This is a bad habit that I think people should overcome. But imagine if there isn't much decent traditional masters tere is even less that teach you who to sapr this way. Sifu Wong Kiew Kit who I deeply respect is one of these teachers.
    I don’t know about the forms you are learning because I’ve never seen them, but I use the majority of the techniques in my forms all the time, with boxing gloves on. Most of the techniques in Jow Gar forms are very practical. They are mostly straight punches, hooks in different angles, uppercuts, back fists etc... So when you see us spar, you would think, wow that’s just kickboxing, they aren’t using the techniques from their forms! But in reality we are.

You have to realize that punch, block, punch, block crap in the movies is all BS, real kung fu fighting really doesn’t look much different than what you see in the ring, at least with the style I’m learning at least.

Originally posted by Brad
    Wong Kiew Kit's a bit too out there for my tastes... I wouldn't mind learning his moving clouds with qi technique though The weather around here's sucked lately
    Yeah some things he says seem strange but alot of things like moving clouds with qi are just a name they aren't supposed to be taken seriously. But he is an excellent traditional master/teacher he is all about it. You just have to see things in different perspectives to accept some things.

Yeah some things he says seem strange but alot of things like moving clouds with qi are just a name they aren't supposed to be taken seriously.
    No, he described literally moving the clouds with qi in one of his writings... you may be able to find a discussion about it on cyberkwoon.com somewhere still Curing cancer from a distance using qigong is another odd claim of his.

Wow, what a frigin nut case

Originally posted by Sim Koning

I don’t know about the forms you are learning because I’ve never seen them, but I use the majority of the techniques in my forms all the time, with boxing gloves on. Most of the techniques in Jow Gar forms are very practical. They are mostly straight punches, hooks in different angles, uppercuts, back fists etc... So when you see us spar, you would think, wow that’s just kickboxing, they aren’t using the techniques from their forms! But in reality we are.

You have to realize that punch, block, punch, block crap in the movies is all BS, real kung fu fighting really doesn’t look much different than what you see in the ring, at least with the style I’m learning at least.
    Well if that your view of it then I accept it!!! but just a question, how much times in sparring rings where to kung fu guys spar we see peolple performing counter lik blocking ones punch simultaneously grabing their wrist pulling and at the same time delivering a swingin punch to the face. Or peolple doing a Chin na techniques like iinterceptind an opponents punch and twisting hteir arm to trhow them to the ground, maybe those simple aplicattion like block punch, punch kick combinations,etc(like I said the basics).

Originally posted by Brad

No, he described literally moving the clouds with qi in one of his writings... you may be able to find a discussion about it on cyberkwoon.com somewhere still Curing cancer from a distance using qigong is another odd claim of his.
    Jajajaj LOL, although qiqong has been know to cure disease, It great for ones health. IN other words the whole tyhing about moving the clouds,not a chance, but the thing about cancer is believable.

Well if that your view of it then I accept it!!! but just a question, how much times in sparring rings where to kung fu guys spar we see peolple performing counter lik blocking ones punch simultaneously grabing their wrist pulling and at the same time delivering a swingin punch to the face. Or peolple doing a Chin na techniques like iinterceptind an opponents punch and twisting hteir arm to trhow them to the ground, maybe those simple aplicattion like block punch, punch kick combinations,etc(like I said the basics).
    Those things are much easier said than done. It’s very hard to catch a guys arm when he pulls it back as fast as he delivered it. Just have a boxer throw a jab or cross and see if you can grab it for example. Though when fighting an untrained opponent its relatively easy to catch his arm and do whatever, but that’s because he is slow and untrained. If you have two very well trained fighters, you are going to see something that doesn’t look much different than a kickboxing match, not the other way around.

Originally posted by Sim Koning

Those things are much easier said than done. It’s very hard to catch a guys arm when he pulls it back as fast as he delivered it. Just have a boxer throw a jab or cross and see if you can grab it for example. Though when fighting an untrained opponent its relatively easy to catch his arm and do whatever, but that’s because he is slow and untrained. If you have two very well trained fighters, you are going to see something that doesn’t look much different than a kickboxing match, not the other way around.
    "Ones technique should start after ones opponents but finish before"- Asian proverb

That's a nice proverb, but using Chin Na on a highly trained fighter is a lot harder than you think. Like I said, go try it, have someone who is a good boxer of any style throw a punch at you and you can try to grab it. Yang Jwing Ming warns people of this in his books.

well at least Wong Kiew Kit thinks that todays' Shaolin monks aren't real monks.

Too bad he doesn’t realize that he lost his grip on something called reality.