Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: WSL Knives video

WSL Knives video

'In the woods there is always a sound...In the city aways a reflection.'

'What about the desert?'

'You dont want to go into the desert'

- Spartan

Ouch, that is almost unwatchable. The video quality, I mean.
    Your lineage may vary.

Hi James

Tell Clive that!

See you saturday?

'What about the desert?'

- Spartan

Shame it wasnt better quality, but still really nice to see anyway when clips of Wing Sifu are so rare. I could just about make out a Fak Doe !!

Thanks for posting Nick.

Stu
    Ip Ching Ving Tsun in South Wales - www.swanseavingtsun.com

thnx for putting up the video, it's great to see rare footage like that. I hope it inspires others to do the same so we can all share in the past generation.

your welcome- thank my teacher if you like

'What about the desert?'

- Spartan

Nick-
    I would very much like to look at the video.
    But I have had problems when I download to look at some things.
    My anti virus program warned me that they are not sure about the video and its source. Any suggestions? Any way to send ita s as a virus scanned item pf some sort?. Sorry- I am neither high or low tech when it comes to PC-s. Maybe Garry Short can help?

Joy Chaudhuri

Originally posted by Vajramusti
    My anti virus program warned me that they are not sure about the video and its source. Any suggestions?
    Joy,

Your anti-virus software is just warning you that "it's not sure" because it's an EXE file. In this case it's just a self-extracting ZIP file of the video, but your software has no way of knowing this for sure.

You should be able to download it anyway. Can't you just ignore the warning? BTW, this is not normally recommended, but in the case I'm sure the file is good.

Bill
    Last edited by Matrix; 07-23-2004 at 11:54 AM.

Matrix
    Thx- I will try.
    Joy

Matrix- Thanks much for the encouragement.. It was worth the long wait and the anti virus system warnings.
    Thanks also to Nick and his sifu for sharing it.
    It IMO is very watchable given its age and circumstances.. I recognized the motions and very much
    enjoyed seeing Wong Shon Leung moving with the knives.

One of my great pleasures was rolling with him twice during his first US visit.

Excellent!

Joy,

I'm pleased that you were able to get the file downloaded and even more pleased that you enjoyed it.

And of course, thanks to Nick and his sifu for sharing the footage. It's always interesting to get a glimpse into the past.

Regards,
    Bill

The clip is a bit hard to see but better than nothing.

IMO, WSL's DO skills and knowledge was (is) among the best. He practiced the DO with a special zeal and was YM's best blade man. People interested in learning the YM's DO system as taught to WSL should visit with one of WSL's elder students....of which Yeun Yim Keung (IMO) in Hong Kong is the best and most knowledgeable. Since WSL passing, Yeun has spent a lot of time and money traveling around to show the other WSL old timers (Yeun's classmates) the base+12 sections of BJD system. I give Yeun a lot of credit for the effort he has given to share is knowledge with others.

Yeun's health is a bit frail after suffering a heart attack but he is and honest man and is willing to pass on the BJD to a few more people. By now, there is without a doubt many more of WSL followers who are very competent with the blades.

On a side note - In 1980, I did compare part of the eight section Wong Chok BJD method that I learned earlier against the WSL method (both Wong Chock and Wong Shun Leung were present). After a night long of breathing cigarettes smoke and foul HK air, Wong Chock finally admitted that Wong Shun Leung's methods and sections were more comprehensive and complete.

To make a long story short. The elders (WSL & WC) concluded that the blade system took a long time to learn - as long as or longer than learning the open hand WC system. The late YM taught each of them individually but later wanted to simplify the blade system. Hence, Wong Chok, although well liked by YM learned a simplfied eight section version of the blades.

. . . . just sharing - - - - - - - -

Hi John D---
    Some folks who learned the WSL version of the form from him
    or Yeun now claim that they learned the whole form from Ip man.

Apart from WSL there are very very few people alive who were taught an entire bjd form by Ip man himself. Among other factors involved is what you mentioned- the sheer time it takes to develop the details of all the sequences. Apart from his choice re who he wanted to teach.Even the words bjd isa
    Ip man trademark.

The last VTAA convention video (pre Tong opening) demo of the knives was IMO a disaster.

How did your Seattle bjd seminar go?

Cheers, Joy

Hi everyone

Over 300 people have watched this now so I hope those 300 people all enjoyed some (albeit poor quality) footage of WSL in action with the knives

Thanks for all the positive feedback- I have passed it on to my teacher and told him to have a look at this thread

John D- thanks for the interesting info- hopefully some other WSL students possibly lurking (Rolf C and Dave P?) may have something else to contribute

Its good to share stuff and I think its a shame (although understandable) that people keep their cards close to their chest when it comes to stuff like this

Oh well- have a good weekend everyone

'What about the desert?'

- Spartan

Nick-
    I am not surprised by the number of "hits" on the video link.
    I have no complaint on the video quality- understandable.

I got a sense of his fak do- he even showed an usage.
    You could see the footwork adjustment for the knives.
    A good sense of the jam do, gan do stepping and turning
    abd the elbow adjustment for the knives.

Thanks to you your sifu, and Matrix for his advice on opening..

Joy