Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wing Chun Get Together

Hope you had a good time

Hello KJ and others

I hope that you had a great time with the gathering. I am sure everyone who attended came away with something more than they brought. One day I will get up there to visit with you'all. In the interim, the door is open in Philly for anyone who happens to visit.

Peace,

Dave

Hi Dave and others

We missed you but we still had a great time!

After a week of rain the weather broke and we had a beautiful sunny warm day.

We had just over 20 people attend. There were practioners of Moy Yat, Red Boat, Augustine Fong, Steve Lee Swift/Yip Chun and Leung Sheung lineages.

From other styles there were Natural Style, Tai Chi, Tae Kwon Do and Norhtern Snake. There were also a few people that we just interested to see the different types of Martial Arts.

Everyone got along fantastically! We ended up staying 2 hours later than scheduled.

We shared sets/forms, both wing chun and other styles and talked about the principles. Mostly we worked out. There was a lot of chi sau and cross style exchanges.

I already can't wait for next year. I hope to see familiar faces and meet new people then.

Mark---
    thanks for sharing the good times. Due to quite demanding
    extended family obligations I dont travel as much as I would like to. Hope to go your way again sometime.

I have a big weekend coming up next month for the Ho Kam Ming
    retirement seminar and festivities in Tucson.

And- with the world crisis plus greed airline prices have gone up too. Just this morning put I one son and sister in law on a plane for Muscogee Creek tribal doings in Oklahoma- the ticket prices have doubled from a year or two ago.

When you say Fong lineage--- who was there?

Joy Chaudhuri

These kinds of get togethers sound really cool. We need to organize one on the west coast, or the mid-west and get some of you east enders to come. That would probably inspire people like Ernie, myself and other west coasters to participate.
    Sapere aude, Justin.

The map is not the Terrain.

"Wheather you believe you can, or you believe you can't...You're right." - Henry Ford

Hi Joy

I'll email you about the Augustine Fong guy. I don't have his permission to put his name out on the web.

These types of get togethers are lots of fun and we've had great luck so far that everyone has gotten along and willing to share.

I know from the internet that they've had them in the Bay area LA and NYC.

Try sponsoring one. It's worth the effort.

Try sponsoring one. It's worth the effort.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Mark, I respect his wishes.
    Re above--

when it's officially 110 and there aint no shade and the humidity
    is high

hush a bye little baby dont you cry.

(With apologies to the author of Summertime
    and Fantasia)

Its hibernation time in the desert.

joy

Joy

Yes, but I hear that we are in for a cool down this week, only 107! LOL!!!!!

Actually, a multi-system picnic would be very cool. I would love to see that happen here in Phoenix.
    John Widener

'Understand your limits, but never limit your understanding'.

" I may disapprove of what you say,
    but I will defend to the death your right to say it."
    Voltaire

www.wing-chun.us

Actually, a multi-system picnic would be very cool. I would love to see that happen here in Phoenix.

hey did some one say food
    If the truth hurts , then you will feel the pain

Do not follow me, because if you do, you will lose both me and yourself....but if you follow yourself, you will find both me and yourself

You sound rather pompous Ernie! -- by Yung Chun
    http://wslglvt.com

steaks are on the grill, oh wait you're veg., got a good salad rollin'.
    The chi sau games are over by the fishin' pond under the big Oak.
    Sapere aude, Justin.

"Wheather you believe you can, or you believe you can't...You're right." - Henry Ford

give me a side order of pak sau tofu and you have a date

hey justin forgot to tell you added a few more pics on my site of gary's dvd shoot nothing special but just in case you get bored ha ha
    If the truth hurts , then you will feel the pain

Do not follow me, because if you do, you will lose both me and yourself....but if you follow yourself, you will find both me and yourself

You sound rather pompous Ernie! -- by Yung Chun
    http://wslglvt.com

Here is some kung pow kuen, grub up man!!!
    Sapere aude, Justin.

Just to add a little about the day's event. Better late than never.

We did indeed have a great picnic and workout day as Mark described. Folks joined us a usual from the Greater Rochester region and "neighboring" Albany and Saratoga Springs areas. We also had the privilege of meeting a wonderful chap from British Columbia, who gave me a delightfully hard time and some good lessons via his inner connection, mobility, sensitivity, and long reach. Hoping he'll drop by some more whenever "in the neighborhood."

There was even more working out and easy openness of sharing than in past years, which is saying quite a lot. Some pretty high intensity stuff too, yet always with an appropriate margin of safety, mutual respect, and no destructive egos. Couldn't have asked for a better day with a more generous, eclectic, and fun group of folks.

We missed a few of you who've joined us in past years, and hope to see you next time, or before if another opportunity presents itself. And of course we'd love for even more of you to join in when we plan the next one.

Dave, sorry to have missed you (again), but you know you are welcome by any time. If we don't have an event scheduled, we'll create one on your account.

Regards,
    - Kathy Jo

Originally posted by YongChun
    Would the waiver hold up in court or is it the case of having something is better than nothing or that it all depends on the exact circumstance of something happening?
    Hi Ray,

In the U.S., anyone can sue you for anything, anytime. There are never guarantees of anything, and regardless of what papers or contracts a person has signed, AFAIK. So there is no such thing as a 100% guarantee. The waiver nonetheless serves some useful purposes:

• It informs participants about appropriate behavior (theirs and others'), and enables them to moderate their own activities and engagements accordingly
    • Makes provision for excusing anyone who cannot or will not abide by the expectations, or who fails to respect the safety and well-being of others
    • Ensures that participants are aware that they are fully and solely responsible for their own safety and liable for their own conduct in all respects, and that they agree to accept that responsibility and liability before participating
    • The waivers are maintained as evidence of acknowledgment and willful agreement in the event that a lawsuit should ever ensue

Thus it is as much for prevention as for recourse, and serves both ethical and pragmatic purposes.

We use variants of the same waiver for different types of events, all of which are tailored versions of a sample provided to us by an attorney who created it for use in his own martial arts practice.

A waiver would not necessarily decide a court case, but it would almost certainly hold up as a piece of admissible evidence. Everything always depends on a combination of circumstances, the performance of lawyers and witnesses, and the whims of judge and/or jury. So the bottom line is, yes, something is better than nothing.

Regards,
    - kj