Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: What are you worth as a sifu?

So why can't you do that with more kids?

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    True, could with that.

We just haven't done any two person drills in the last two classes. Definitely like to have all kids in my field of vision if I've got them swinging at each other.

I don't think I've said I or anyone couldn't do it with more kids, just don't like it that way.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

So, do what I used to do, enlist "Parent Helpers" tell them the rules, and have them supervise the action.

I was teching anywhere form 65to90 Kids a night, and sometimes as much as 100 split up in 4 classes. With as many as 30 kids in the White belt class at times, the "Parent Helper" plan works great.

What I did was say "Ok everyone, one of the things I really like to do is get the parents involved with the Kids. It's a great way to boost the "Parent/Child bond" and make it safer, and more fun for everyone!! (Ad lib a good YEAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHYYYY!!! with excitement and Barney like enthusiasum, and it makes for good student retention too)" Then ask for parental "Volenteers" to join the class as "honarary coaches (or some other such nonsense), have a "Sensei meeting" with them to explain the drill, and the rules of safety and turn em loose!!

It works great, and it allows you to handle a much larger group of Kiddies. All wile making you look like the Kung Fu super God you are. It's a Win/Win deal.
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

Oso,

I used a 20 minute warmup, followed by learning and drilling form for another 20 minutes, and then 20 minutes of application practice which included light "Tag" sparring. It was a one hour class.

Rather than drilling application of the form though, I started by teaching the first 9 of the 18 basic techniques, then for level II, I'd teach the second 9 and Wu Bu Chuan. Then, once they had that, they learned the Shou Louhan set @ Level II. This is a set right from the texts I had worked out years ago when I had no teacher and was bored with what I already knew. It's good as it is a technically diverse beginners form, and when folded in half it becomes a two man set. Sometimes I only teach half of it because of it's legth unfolded.

I don't teach any forms at Level I, then Wu Bu Chuan at Level II Shou Louhan at Level III Shou Hong Chuan Level IV etc... At each level, I have a specific string of 9 to 18 self defence techniques that go along with the form, but are not nessasarily from the form, just a series of self defence techniques. They get the 9 at the lower ranks, and then 18 at the higher ranks. Each rank has a specific Series of techniques all written down, and documented in my instructor's manual (Authored by "Me" of course).

Also, each rank has a greater, and greater amount of conditioning requirements. For example, a Level II has to hold each posture of Wu Bu Chuan for 18 seconds, 36 for the older ones. Level III has to hold it for 36 to 45 seconds, Level IV has to hold for 54, Level V 72, Level VI 90 Level VII 108 etc...

That has allways worked out really good for me. I have my entire program written out, complete with hand drawn figures for the techniques so I don't forget the series when I teach it. (You guys should see my little stick figures!! LOL @ ME!!) Each level has a clearly defined curriculem. I often quote the manual a few ranks ahead to the parents so they see a clear path to the future for their kids. I have found an occasional "Flash" of Shou Hong Chuan to the kids learning Wu Bu Chuan helps motivate and build enthusiasum.
    Last edited by Royal Dragon; 08-06-2004 at 07:08 AM.
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

Food For Thought........

1. People who pay more, pay more
    2. People who pay less, pay less
    3. If people pay less, they tend to stay for less time, because
    the perceived value is less and they have not made a serious
    investment in anything.
    4. Instructors who ask for $40, get $40. Instructors who ask for
    $100 get a $100. Asking for $100 is the same as asking for
    $40. You just ask! If you charge $40 a month, then you are a
    $40 a month instructor and thats all people will pay you. If you
    charge $100 a month, then you are a $100 a month instructor
    and thats what you will get.

5. Many traditional martial arts teacher teach in the park and rec
    centers, live in their schools and barely make it, open
    and close schools like the seasons, dont have many students
    because of there preconceived idea and understandings of
    value and money.
    "The key is to begin at the beginning;high level short cuts can only lead to dead end."

Thats exactly right. well put.

I also agree with kicking mantis.

If you are teaching and you need to make a living from it, then be realistic and don'tr let preconcieved notions of righteousness interfere with your ability to put food on your table and provide for yourself or your family.

The value of your art cannot be measured by any monetary standard. So make the money a question of what you need to continue to teach and to offer the best choices for the students who enrol with you.

If you have expensive facilities, then you will need to pay for those and your rates need to reflect that.

Your martial art and instruction method is not better or worse than anyone elses out there (although there are some excellent instructors and there are crappy ones)

People will pay what the market bears and the fact of the matter is that in the society I live in, which is similar to most people here on these forums, people equate value with cost. That's a fact of life.

You value a dollar that you have earned moreso than one you have been given for no effort.

cheers
    Kung Fu is good for you.