Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Grappling basics.

Originally posted by Shaolinlueb
    6.) dry hump leg or other body part. :P
    maybe ralek should provide his expertise here
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sometime blog on training esp in Japan

Okay, I'll actually answer seriously:

1. Mount:
    Mmm, mount's not my favorite position. Just personal preference. From mount, you have the option to rain down blows (assuming you're not in a sporting competition). With gi, you have a variety of front chokes. Without gi, you only have a couple (at least that are convenient). I usually like to gain control of an arm and start isolating it. What happens next depends on my opponent's response to my initial play.

2. Side Control:
    It depends on whether you're talking about the scarf hold position or the regular side control position. In regular side control I like to isolate and attack an arm, and set up for an armbar or juji gatame (kimura/keylock) finish.

3. Rear mount:
    Umm, let's see here, choke, choke, and choke some more.

4. Guard:
    Control and counter.
    In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice.
    In practice, there is.

Originally posted by kenso
    1. Mount:
    I usually like to gain control of an arm and start isolating it. What happens next depends on my opponent's response to my initial play.
    That's more like it... so, got any faves?

2. Side Control:
    It depends on whether you're talking about the scarf hold position or the regular side control position.
    Whatever floats your boat!
    In regular side control I like to isolate and attack an arm, and set up for an armbar or juji gatame (kimura/keylock) finish.
    Gooood, I can do those! Kenso, you did/do aiki right? Dunno what your school called it but mine called it just kansetsu waza (which isn't very helpful but...): there's a move if you're going straight through into kaitennage, when you thread your (eg left) arm through their (right) armpit, bring it up, lock their elbow in the crook of your arm/forearm with their forearm against your upper arm/neck/head, so you can push out and down into their shoulder blade/armpit/back of the shoulder to ram them/project them gracefully into the floor/your knee/classic kaitennage.

It's kind of like the wrestling 'swimming' exercise but then continuing through, and I've seen my shooto instructor doing it standing and (and I've done it) on the ground. On the ground it works best from regular side when you shove their elbow downwards through their face...

Jesus, that was a long question but here it comes... What's it called in jujutsu/groundwork... or even your aiki?

3. Rear mount:
    Umm, let's see here, choke, choke, and choke some more.
    Stop stop: the detail is killing me!!! Er, ok, do any of these ****ers have names etc...?!

From guard, pulled off a lovely aikido sankyou the other day. Won't say it's a favourite, or even it's high percentage, but it was a nice example of aiki in a pressure and resistance situation (admittedly on another noob but he's way better than me).
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sometime blog on training esp in Japan

from mount: ude garami

from side control: juji gatame

from knee on chest : okuri eri jime

from north south: ude garami (reverse = kimura)

from guard: gyaku jime
    Fairfax Jiu-Jitsu

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Muay Thai, Capoeira & Mixed Martial Arts

Gooood, I can do those! Kenso, you did/do aiki right? Dunno what your school called it but mine called it just kansetsu waza (which isn't very helpful but...): there's a move if you're going straight through into kaitennage, when you thread your (eg left) arm through their (right) armpit, bring it up, lock their elbow in the crook of your arm/forearm with their forearm against your upper arm/neck/head, so you can push out and down into their shoulder blade/armpit/back of the shoulder to ram them/project them gracefully into the floor/your knee/classic kaitennage.

It's kind of like the wrestling 'swimming' exercise but then continuing through, and I've seen my shooto instructor doing it standing and (and I've done it) on the ground. On the ground it works best from regular side when you shove their elbow downwards through their face...

Jesus, that was a long question but here it comes... What's it called in jujutsu/groundwork... or even your aiki?
    If I'm interpreting the description correctly, we would call that gokyo, one of the osae-waza (ikkyo, nikyo, sankyo, yonkyo, gokyo, and rokkyo).
    In practice, there is.

Originally posted by Mat
    Stop stop: the detail is killing me!!! Er, ok, do any of these ****ers have names etc...?!
    Most all the ones I mentioned have names but I doubt they would be useful to many on this board. But if you realllly want to know...

2) Side Mount- Same as abouve except I'd likely put a stunner to the kidneys an instant before letting loose.
    name(s): removal of the jewels, snake and ram, or possably tiger in a cave

3) Rear- a) single eye dragon fist to thier restraining body part (double if in a full nelson or bear hug)
    names(s): yeilding in fire, tiger in a cave, and bunch that have no formal name

* I listed several because several work in those situations. which spacific one I'd use would depend on the situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    you're kidding? i would love to drink that beer just BECAUSE it's in a dead animal...i may even pick up the next dead squirrel i see and stuff a budweiser in it

1-5

Keep my door closed (maintain strong structure and position)

Open their door (force them to compromose their structure and position)

Then hit

Hadaka jime (rear naked choke) More properly a strangulation. Choking arm comes across opponent's throat. Non-choking arm grabs own wrist.

Kataha jime (half nelson choke) Choking arm applies standard collar choke. Non-choking arm snakes around opponent's arm like a half nelson - preferably grabbing own sleeve.

Sode guruma jime (rear collar choke) Like the juji jime or "x-choke", but from the rear.

Jigoku jime - Okay this one's kinda complicated to explain. Both legs are wrapped on opponent's near arm. Choking arm applies standard collar choke. Non-choking arm wraps under opponent's other arm (almost like kataha jime) but grabs own collar.
    In practice, there is.

Originally posted by Becca
    Most all the ones I mentioned have names but I doubt they would be useful to many on this board. But if you realllly want to know...

2) Side Mount- Same as abouve except I'd likely put a stunner to the kidneys an instant before letting loose.
    name(s): removal of the jewels, snake and ram, or possably tiger in a cave

3) Rear- a) single eye dragon fist to thier restraining body part (double if in a full nelson or bear hug)
    names(s): yeilding in fire, tiger in a cave, and bunch that have no formal name

* I listed several because several work in those situations. which spacific one I'd use would depend on the situation.
    Becca,
    From your descriptions, it sounds like you're talking about techniques used when your opponents have these positions on you. I believe what he's asking for is techniques used when you have an opponent in the stated positions.
    In practice, there is.

Jigoku jime
    "hell strangle"
    Fairfax Jiu-Jitsu

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Muay Thai, Capoeira & Mixed Martial Arts

Originally posted by ShaolinTiger00
    "hell strangle"
    In practice, there is.

Originally posted by Mat
    I was thinking that I am in those positions, so, if I've got someone in mount (the first eg), what are my three best options, or rather your three favourite options for simplicity and results!

etc
    Becca,
    From your descriptions, it sounds like you're talking about techniques used when your opponents have these positions on you. I believe what he's asking for is techniques used when you have an opponent in the stated positions.
    Yep. I guess I did get that backwards. Now everyone else's responces make alot more sence!
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    you're kidding? i would love to drink that beer just BECAUSE it's in a dead animal...i may even pick up the next dead squirrel i see and stuff a budweiser in it