Page 7 of 26 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: The Shaolin Grandmasters Text

So...

Just to get back to the original subject...

While browsing through a local bookstore yesterday, I came across the book in question. My curiosity peaked, I opened the book and thumbed through it.

The book has a nice cover and good quality paper. As I look through the book and it's pictures (they used real pictures that are enhanced to make them look like drawings) it has several chapters in it talking about exactly what "Just a Guy" explained history, philosophy, levels, there's quotes from Lao Tzu and others with beautiful photography of natural scenery (all black and white, quite tasteful if you ask me).

There's also a section on the different "levels" that a Shaolin student/master must attain and, my personal favorite, a picture of the "Grandmaster of Shaolin in the early 1970's" (or something to that effect) in which the person that is portrayed is throwing a kick and completely covering their face with their arms/hands (this is the only picture of a "Master" in the book. The only people you see depicted are three caucasian Shaolin members (students/instructors/teachers not sure though) in different "Shaolin" postures demonstrating techniques that are described in the book.

The book was marked down from $39.95 to $32.95 but after thumbing through it I couldn't bring myself to spend that much on the book, I might buy it eventually just as a keepsake but I felt the money was better spent on a nice dinner with my family.

Keep in mind that this is my first impression of this book and in no way I am making an in-detph review of the book, if someday the book's on sale for less than twenty bucks I might read it and review it completely.

stop that train!

To quote Demasco from his chapter on being inside the temple, "I couldn't beleive I was training and performing with the great master's top Shaolin disciple". Sure it was only a few minutes, but you can't say he 'never trained there.' It becomes a matter of degrees. I can say I trained at Shaolin Temple, which I have, but I wouldn't say that I penetrated it as much as say, Shan Lu. In comparison to him, I haven't really scratched the surface. I think Shan Lu is probably one of the foreigners that is the deepest in the temple at this time.

Anyway, the fundamental problem in your reasoning is the presumption that there is an art or style that is "best". There would be something like that if we were all the same. But, thankfully, we aren't. So what might be best for you, say Muay Thai or BJJ, won't work for my septenagerian mom. I remember when one of my training buddies sent his mom iron palm training equipment to help with her arthritis. While it was done with the best of intentions, that's just short sighted and self centered.

You know how diverse the world is Antonio, more so from your travels than most people on this forum. And you're a fine writer - you write from the gut - which is why we publish a lot of your work. But don't lose perspective. Don't miss the biggest lesson of Shaolin - don't miss the compasssion.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Re: Shaolin Book

Originally posted by Brooklyn Monk

"If you are looking for the best way to win a fight, then choose a gun."
    I actually couldn't agree with this statement more.

To me, there is a lot of crackpot fantasy involved with training in the 'martial' arts.

SYM once said at first gong fu is about fighting, but then it becomes about something else too.

People have always historically armed themselves for advantage in confrontations. Which is why martial arts has weapons and is not just fist and foot, elbow and knee. Killing and hurting each other has always evolved. Now we have guns. Only idiots fight guns with hands and feet.

I said this in another thread, but to me, when you start to recognize a particular circle you are in, it becomes readily apparent why you hit on a 16 when the dealer is showing a face card or 10...

the wheel keeps turning

It's all a cycle until you break out. Speaking of cycles, Shaolin and guns, I used this very notion in my first Shaolin trips article.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

another thing I mentioned in a thread somewhere around here is that pic Uwe had posted up...the monks on horseback with rifles...

That was an odd pic

I think that was the pic that was published in the back of Shaolin Kung Fu: Treasure of the Chinese Nation, one of the first Shaolin picture books ever, and argueably one of the best. The pic offered little explanation and seemed out of context with the rest of the book.

There are taluo for rifle and bayonet, although I haven't seen that as a Shaolin practice. We published some in our military/police special (Mar/Apr 2004)
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

The book arrived.....didn't have time to start reading. I just took a very quick look inside and one sentence was bit strange, it's about Tamo and the cave :
    ...Wathever the truth was, after eight years years he eventually impressed the monks.... ..8 years ?

On the back, there's a picture of the chief monk of the chan order (they mention 1974..) That movement he's doing...looks like a "Daniel-san standing on a pole kick"....and of course..You can't see his face...

Midwest Book Review

Forumites may be interested in reading The Shaolin Grandmasters' Text's recent review on amazon.com from the Midwest Book Review - the premier reviewer for small press.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...glance&s=books

Enjoy.

Reviews: from http://www.shaolintemple.org./publication.htm#reviews

"The book is excellent...Finally, after all of these years there is a book that every martial artist should read to get the true meaning of gung fu."

Sifu Paul Eng (www.taimantiskungfu.com)
    Originally posted by tao of wushu
    Well I have an e-mail in to Sifu Eng to see if this is true? Also Be a where that Sifu Eng is my kung fu uncle. He is my Sifus Sihing..

~Jason
    I forgot all about this till I read the post on the main...
    Here is a copy of the reply.

No such statement was made!
    It was unsigned...

~Jason
    館術國勇威 Wei Yong Martial Arts Association
    戰挑的權霸統傳 The Challenge for Traditional Supremacy
    http://www.weiyongkungfu.com

hmm

Jason,

Your post is kind of confusing. Did you speak with Sifu Eng? Did you personally correspond with him?

He sent us some kind remarks, at which point we asked (and received!) his express permission to use his remarks in our advertising materials. I can assure you that we would not put words in his mouth. The quote is verbatim.

The book, BTW, is The Shaolin Grandmasters' Text, which you can find here: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...glance&s=books

You will notice that it consistently comes up first in amazon.com searches for "Shaolin." The book is selling rather well, and has been picked up by Tuttle Publishing for worldwide distribution. It should begin appearing in bookstores within the next few months.

We have received a steady stream of positive comments about the book, and hope that people find it a valuable read.

Best wishes -

I e-mailed it to Eng Sifu and the school... thats the e-mail I got back...

Like I said before it was unsigned.... So I do not know who e-mailed me back.... nor do I need to now... Sorry...

I hope you all have a good new year...
    GUNG HAI FAT CHOY!!!

~Jason
    館術國勇威 Wei Yong Martial Arts Association
    戰挑的權霸統傳 The Challenge for Traditional Supremacy
    http://www.weiyongkungfu.com

"...and has been picked up by Tuttle Publishing for worldwide distribution."

Hopefully that means it will drop in price too.

Definately not worth $39.95

I'll, maybe, buy it for $14.95. But that's only if I'm feeling like bulking up the library.

USKSF North Region: www.usksfnorth.org

validation

Ultimately, who validates who?

With all this chatter, when do you find time to train?

Thank you, oldmonkey.

For better or worse, I am the one appointed to take care of all marketing for our book, and that includes cruising forums and answering erroneous charges that my organization has committed fraud. Ugh.

Yours is the best forum comment I've read in a long, long time. If you'd like a gratis copy of the book, PM me your name and address.

JaG-

"The Order offers Shaolin training up to, and including ordination as a Shaolin Ch'an priest."

From your website....

I'm curious to know if you can describe for us your san bao di zi ceremony?

you also mentioned you had a belt system. what is the story behind the adoption of that?

Gene- the caption reads:

"In 1926, Heng Lin, then Abbot of the Shaolin Temple, secretary of the Songshan temple Security Corps, gathered the monk soldiers to hold an oath taking ritual in front of the Temple's Mahavira Hall."

The picture is of several men lined up with rifles and one on horseback.