Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New London Northern Mantis Kung Fu school website

New London Northern Mantis Kung Fu school website

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    That's a cool looking place to work out. Nice gothic architecture.

Any more info on the curriculum? Forms taught?

Welcome.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

SD??

Interesting. Just playing "Devils advocate",..looks like an incarnation of SD. More information would be greatly appreciated.
    How many identities does a Troll need?
    Didn't think I knew did you??
    I know a lot of things.
    You won't like me in person either.
    Confused?? Don't be.
    LOL!

?

I have never heard of this branch of Tang Lang before , has anyone ever come across it before ?
    Not to seem rude but shouldnt forms be taught earlier on than five years ? Forms are the basis of Tang Lang , how can you train in tang Lang without them ?
    How can you be a senior student / instructor without training forms ? Where do the techniques come from that you use ? 50 forms are a vast amount to start 5 years into your training .

Re: ?

Originally posted by FEELERSTRIKE
    ... Not to seem rude but shouldnt forms be taught earlier on than five years ? Forms are the basis of Tang Lang , how can you train in tang Lang without them ? ....

Well, you have to give the instructor time to learn the forms first eh?

OK JUST KIDDING !

Maybe that is how they were taught in that line?

UM.

You could be right it is a branch I am not familiar with , could be a new approach ? If it works , then use it .

Feelerstrike

Your in-country,...go check it out for us!
    I know a lot of things.
    Confused?? Don't be.
    LOL!

I would like to but unfortunately I have club nights Monday to Thursday and do not live locally to our capital , but if I get a chance I will . It would be good if the guys from that branch would kindly give us more information on who they are and what they do as their site only gives very limited information .

Getting back to the London Mantis website it's unfortunate that there isn't enough substantial information there to determine what the style is about. At first I thought it might be a variation of Wah Lum from Sifu David Hawkins (ex-WL who switched to CLF) but after viewing the website it's obviously something else.
    Last edited by Hua Lin Laoshi; 11-12-2004 at 02:09 PM.

Ref corja shantung mantis

Corja shantung is a northern mantis system.

you can log on to Sifu Alims website : www.northernmantis.co.uk

Sean

http://www.frixo.com/sites/mantis/sifualim-poster.jpg

Hmm... I don't know much about the system... but... a combination of Tae kwon do, jiu jitsu, judo, and praying mantis? Maybe it's just my lack of experience, but that seems a little off to me?
    Royce can choke as many people as he wants. He'll never have a cartoon as cool as Jackie Chan Adventures.

-- Chang Style Novice

Ironox ,
    Hello and welcome to the community . I am afraid I have never come across your branch before but it will be good to have your opion on this forum .

Re: Ref corja shantung mantis

Originally posted by ironox
    Corja shantung is a northern mantis system.

you can log on to Sifu Alims website : www.northernmantis.co.uk

Sean
    Ironox, welcome to the forum.

The members for the most part here are all traditional praying mantis practitioners from around the world. They know what mantis looks like and have a grasp of what is in it.

They need to know more about a system than an obscure story to convince them that they system protrayed is legitimate; The Corja site does not do this. All it does is send the all to familiar alarms of being made up.
    No, I am not saying that it is made up, but that the website sends that alarm to most of us here.

Thanks for posting & we are looking forward to more information on the Corja school.
    I know a lot of things.
    Confused?? Don't be.
    LOL!

Well the website makes the claim that it is the original NPM yet offers no lineage. Definitely a red flag. With all the historians here I'm sure nothing less than verifiable documentation will suffice.

"My teacher told me so" just isn't going to cut it.

If it is a verifiable offshoot then it could open up a new perspective on the history of NPM.

We're all eagerly waiting to hear.

It would be interesting to know more as the northern mantis scene in the U.k. is not overly large but has been quite well established for many years with my shifu being a strong promoter of the 7 star branch as passed on to him by his master Mo Lam for nearly 30 years .