Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Do people test you?

testing

I used to get "tested" a lot when I was younger, when I taught more. I'm 5'8", used to be around 130 (note the 'used to be' ) and used to work the front door of a kwoon. Most of the people who wanted to test me then, I could 'jedi mind' trick (you know, "You don't want to test me", "I don't want to test you", "You want to sign up for classes", "I want to sign up for classes") - people who are into overt tests like that are as simple minded as stormtroopers and easy to manipulate with jedi skills. But still, occassionally, push did come to shove, and I always went for something painful immediately, which ended the test. When they had me outgunned in the bicep department (not hard to do), well, I'm a weapons man, it's amazing what you can do with a simple push pin.

Nowadays, given my position, I do the testing.

Of course, it's not like I'm going around challenging every master that walks into this office - although I've had a few masters who've tested me - and I've always failed at those. I mean, come on, they are masters. If they want to assert their skill on me personally, that's a bit silly really. It's a fast way to fail my test. Who cares about their test? If anyone says I have little skill, I'll heartily agree. Now I love when I can get a quick pointer from some master, of course, but the ones that are so egotistical that they come at me with something to prove, they flunk.

To me, tests are like those old Shaw brothers films. You both know you have skills. You just want to see how much skill. So you pick your arena and on a hig level, it's not an overt figth. Maybe it's trying to spill your challengers drink in a toast. Maybe it's trying to squash their tray of tofu. Maybe it's trying to mess up their clean floor. Of course, those are movie tests. Here in the 'real world' of Kung Fu Tai Chi Magazine, the test is usually a mixture of business and ego. Some masters come in and ask to be on the cover immediately. That's a quick failure. Some masters ask for us to do everything for them. That's another failure. Some masters walk into our studio or an interview, complete unprepared. Failure. Waste our time. Big failure. It never ceases to amaze me how poorly some very well-known masters can behave.

On the flip side, there are some masters who are absolutely amazing - high above normal beings. True inspirations. That keeps me going. That tests me in a totally different way - how to convey their magnitude.

OK, I've totally gone off topic. Sorry. Just remember - push pins.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Gene was the poster hanger at the old kwoon, thats why he had pockets full of those pins.

Gene, have you ever had a couple masters run into each other at the office that weren't quite on the best of terms (obviously you don't have to say names but..) ?
    practice wu de

Actually I bored everyone to death. Even Buddhist and Taoist monks fell asleep.....SPJ

Forums are no fun if I can't mess with your head. Or your colon...
    uh-oh, I hope no one quotes me on that....Gene Ching

I'm not Normal.... RD on his crying my b!tch left me thread

Re: testing

Originally posted by GeneChing
    Here in the 'real world' of Kung Fu Tai Chi Magazine
    Hah!
    "i can barely click the link. but i way why stop drinking .... i got ... moe .. fcke me ..im out of it" - GDA on Traditional vs Modern Wushu
    ---------------------------------------------
    but what if the man of steel hasta fight another man of steel only that man of steel knows kung fu? - Kristoffer
    How do you think monks/strippers got started before the internet? - Gene Ching
    Find your peace in practice. - Gene Ching

np

have you ever had a couple masters run into each other at the office that weren't quite on the best of terms (obviously you don't have to say names but..) ?
    Not in recent memory. We're pretty good about that. When we did our 10th Anniversary Gala Benefit seating was a bit crazy due to 'politics' but generally, we schedule our appointments here (excepting the few 'rude' locals who might drop in unannounced - and they get what they deserve) so we keep warring factions apart.

I used to carry a long needle - when I was a kid, I ordered some cheesy ninja weapon and all they gave me was this long needle set in a plastic handle - I modified the idea. It was one of many rather silly weapons I carried in my youth and never really had to use. However, having them did give me the confidence to look challengers in the eye with that kind of targeted gaze that said 'that's where I'm gonna stick this needle'.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

It annoys me when plebians want to "test" me. It makes me wonder why they think something that's been around for so long is useless. Got something to prove, I guess. I've never had to use MA in a real fight. (my only real fight was a shoving match with josh mordy in sixth grade) Mostly stuff like this happens to me at work after I tell the boss I'd like nights off because I practice MA and the boss tells my coworkers. Some people are cool and ask questions with a genuine interest in what I do, and I'll give them genuine answers and tell them they can come to class with me anytime. Once a guy at work asked to "jet li" somebody who was getting on his nerves. Another time a kid say me practicing in the park and wanted to show me his BJJ and had me standing up in some sort of choke. my knee was between his legs and dangerously close to his groin. He asked me what I was going to do and I said," What do you think?" It was obvious. He was 14 and I'm 22 (but everyone tells me I look 18), so it wouldn't have looked good to let this have one right in the kiwis. He showed me a little bit of his stuff and I could've hit him again, and then all his friends asked me if he "beat me up."

In another context, I try to test myself as much as I can. Like being totally relaxed throughout my body, regulate my breath evenly, being ambidextrous, not to mention practicing gong fu.
    "If you practice praying mantis, women will like you."--Shi Zheng-Zhong

I have been "tested" a few times at work. I have a heavy bag here in the office (one of those self standing ones full of sand) that I have used to good effect a few times.

We had a customer service guy who claimed to be a rated boxer and he was very intent on "sparring" with me. However I really did not like him and know that it would have quickly become a real fight... so I took him to the bag and we had a little "who can hit harder & faster" competition. After that he stopped talking smack.
    Timing is Everything,

Ty

"He showed me a little bit of his stuff and I could've hit him again, and then all his friends asked me if he "beat me up."

I had an ex student start telling his buddies he stoped training with me because he kick my a$$.

I ran a cross him in town and asked him about it in front of his firends. he denied, so I said we should find out right now and everyone can see the results. he was backpedling fast in front of his friends.

This is common, I know many instructors who had students do the same, its usually a kid around 19 or 20 making these claims, they take class for about three months.

I've been tested many times but not in the physical sense.

During the summer my company has a softball team and I'm fisically fit so I get asked to play every week. The games are usually on the same nights that I have class. So I say "no sorry I have class" when I'm asked to play. They say "oh, what are you going to school for?" I say, "I take a kung fu class a few times a week". Then they start saying **** like "oh, are you gonna kick my ass". They start making hand motions and high pitched noises like Bruce Lee. I just laugh it off and don't take it personally. I don't get offended or challenge anyone to fight. Sometimes I say "you should come to my class sometime, it's fun" I get turned down everytime.

I would say that most of these people are people who always thought the martial arts were cool but never had the guts to try it out.
    Check out my wooden dummy website: http://www.woodendummyco.com/