Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Kimbo Slice lost a fight

This is all really more helpful if you guys post links.
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

Why is it illegal for two guys to agree to beat on each other a bit??

Does that mean that sparring in MA schools is illegal??

Where is the line drawn?? Bareknuckle? What about MA schools that spar bareknuckle? BJJ?? Is rolling illegal?? Is it illegal if it gets a bit out of hand and an armbar breaks a guys arm?? What about being choked out? Everyone's had that done to em - is that assault???

Give me a break - for a criminal charge to be filed, someone would have to press charges right - as in one of the guys who signed a consent form would have to press charges against the other man for assaulting him. If he doesn't - no criminal offense has been committed - cept for the whole gambling thing - but lets see you prove that.

they don't have to press charges on eachother ... the state can press charges on everyone from the organizers to the fighters to anyone there to watch the fight if they want. especially since its all on tape.
    where's my beer?

What sort of charges though??

Like I said - where do you draw the line??

Is sparring illegal? Are BJJ guys rolling illegal? They do it 'bareknuckle'.

Who are they going to charge with what? besides the gambling charges, which I can perfectly understand, what could they charge anyone with? I would've thought assault would be the only thing - and Im pretty sure that requires a complainant to press charges, doesn't it?

I'm no legal expert, but the charge would probably be something like 'promoting a non-sanctioned professional sporting event.' Like I say, the state wants their cut. School sparring isn't holding a sports event, it's in the context of a class and therefore escapes prosecution

lkfmdc would know more about this, since he's been recently fighting a measure in nyc to ban many martial arts tourneys.
    All my fight strategy is based on deliberately injuring my opponents. -
    Crippled Avenger

"It is the same in all wars; the soldiers do the fighting, the journalists do the shouting, and no true patriot ever get near a front-line trench, except on the briefest of propoganda visits...Perhaps when the next great war comes we may see that sight unprecendented in all history, a jingo with a bullet-hole in him."

First you get good, then you get fast, then you get good and fast.

Originally posted by Finny
    What sort of charges though??

Like I said - where do you draw the line??

Is sparring illegal? Are BJJ guys rolling illegal? They do it 'bareknuckle'.
    come on man .... there's video in this case.
    where's my beer?

Video of what??

Like I said - what are they gonna charge them with??

Promoting a non sanctioned sporting even would have to prove the 'promotion' part - that is, that it was a promoted even that people paid to get in to.

I'm no expert, and I'm not trying to be antagonistic, just don't know what you guys think was so illegal about it.

Hi, someone post a link to Kimbo's website.

Thanks.
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

Finny -

how hard is it for you to believe that in the US, fighting is discouraged by law enforcement, except under certain special and specific circumstances?

In Australia, if cops see a fight don't they break it up?
    All my fight strategy is based on deliberately injuring my opponents. -
    Crippled Avenger

"It is the same in all wars; the soldiers do the fighting, the journalists do the shouting, and no true patriot ever get near a front-line trench, except on the briefest of propoganda visits...Perhaps when the next great war comes we may see that sight unprecendented in all history, a jingo with a bullet-hole in him."

First you get good, then you get fast, then you get good and fast.

Yeah, but there's a bit of a difference between cops breaking up a FIGHT on the street, and two guys having a MATCH in a closed door environment.

Like I said

What are they gonna charge them with??

Can't be too illegal...

The Dog Bros held their gatherings at a public park for years with uniformed police watching... and they fought with weapons.
    Last edited by Knifefighter; 11-19-2004 at 08:24 PM.

exactly my point - where do you draw the line?

Why is it illegal for two guys to agree to beat on each other a bit??

It's illegal when money is given to the participants for the fight. That turns it from a "sparring match at an MA event" to an unlicensed, unsanctioned professional fight, which is illegal in every state I'd imagine.

BTW, the dude that beat Kimbo trains at my old school. heh. I was suprised when I saw all those dudes posting about it on MMA.tv. I'm not sure if it's been posted, but you can buy the fight at whoopass.tv.

The state-reservation this took place in in Florida, and in Sean Gannons own words as far as I know, is that the fight was 100% legal at the location it took place.

Gannons a Boston Cop so I'm sure he knows his stuff.

Please don't post the link to the video either. You can watch it at whoopass.tv if you want to, it costs 10 dollars, and a DVD will be put out soon if you would like to buy that instead.

All the proceeds of buying the fight go to Gannon who put up his own money and rent to make this fight happen.

Also, that Kimbo Slice forum is not real from what I heard.

According to the fights rules that were written down, the knees and standing guillotines were legal. The GnP was not.

There was nothing in the rules that said standing submissions weren't allowed, and that the fighters may not kick eachother with their shins or feet.

Technically Gannon fought 100% legal and never broke the rules, and if I remember correctly he said it was not his fault if Kimbos camp was ignorant to the sport and did not make the rules more clear.

There's also rumors going around that K1 has contacted Gannon.

Disclaimer : This is all information I've acquired on the internet and researched enough to be convinced that it is all correct and from credible sources. But then again, this is still the internet.