Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Lee Kwan Shan's Wah Lum Mantis?

Many of the well known sifu learned mantis in 7 to 10 years.
    Judging from the number of enemies LKS is reputed to have
    killed in combat, I think he learned what he needed to learn.

Originally posted by Hua Lin Laoshi
    Where did the CLF come from? I believe the CLF Plum Flower Fist is different than the WL plum Flower Fist.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but don't all the branches of NPM claim to trace back to Wong Long? If that is true then why do they dead end at 'nameless outlaw'?
    I have no clue. in the wah lum handbook under advanced forms, there's a plum flower fist. Did yao ever learn clf from nelson chan?

Hi,

My original thought was that if a WL'er could identify, and learn what LKS taught, he could know the "real" WL. Subtract the post-1980 additions. Subtract the post-1948 additions, and you'd have the "essence". That was my thesis. Is it correct, or is it flawed? If
    it's flawed. How is it flawed?

LKL
    Last edited by lamakwoklee; 12-02-2004 at 08:48 PM.

On the surface it makes sense but what you might not know is that not everyone learned the same. I don't think there was a 'core' that he taught to everyone. It's my understanding that Wah Lum fragmented somewhat because of teaching that way and MC has attempted to gather and organize it all.

I would also guess that what he taught early on may have been different than what he taught later. Since he created the style it may have undergone some changes and refinement over the years.

The question I would ask (possibly nobody knows the answer) would be which sets did LKS create and which ones were passed on as he learned them?

The fact that he created a unique system (based on Tan Tui and Tanglang) and not just another branch of Tanglang has caused a lot of accusations to be thrown around. Someday maybe everyone's questions will be answered but until then just accept it for what it is, a professional fighter's interpretation of the top fighting skills of his day.