Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shaolin Five animals tapes from Steve DeMasco

kl...

...if you are referring to the laughable scorpion and toad forms I will agree, but those aren't old shaolin forms...I think those forms should be under a special classification, How To Get Owned in One Easy Move.

I meant like the 108 Lohan and stuff.

Anthony, did you really say geekasaurus, lol...

hey rich, yes, there are qigongs built into some forms and there is a surprising similarities to the warior postures of tibetan arguing style wherein the monks as they persuade each other assume asanas that represent the power of the god they are invoking.

Ok, that's a very loose description and I will take my caning for that, but just saying that the arhat postures found within some forms of the Lohan set are not there for combat purposes but for chi flow, strength, discipline in difficulty etc etc.

I wasn't refering to dubious forms of recent creation to fill out a wallet with the green chi.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Frogs

I love some of those animal imitation forms - beware the fearsome fighting spirit of the, um, frog...

I was a long time student of one of his affiliates. This style was pretty much created by him and Fred Villari in the late 70s and early 80s it is a kempo system.
    Actually Villari came up with it, Steve came into the picture much later.

Keith Hakney does a style of Kenpo that was from Parker Kenpo, but he has changed what he does over the last 10 years.

The style of Kempo that Steve teaches is made up from Karate styles, the Pionions and Katas are generic forms you can find in other style. The combinations started with Nick Cerio then Villari added to them when he broke off on his own.

The information above 1st degree was developed by Villari and his higher ranking people.

When Steve left Villari he got involved with Mattera and they have been adding to the advanced level information. I am not sure if it is authentic or their versions.

All the under Black belt stuff remains the same from Villari, that is a Karate base.

Effectivness will depend on how you train as with any style.

in the clubs, it was just known that as soon as anyone puffed their cheeks out you should just run away, lol...

Some of the animal styles you could understand the imitation. Like Tiger. Pretty obvious. I'll even give you crane, as I've seen plenty of sea birds kick the **** out of fish or crabs unlucky enough to get washed up...

The only thing I've ever seen a frog do is tag bugs with it's tongue and get eaten by snakes. I mowed over a few once in my backyard and felt pretty crappy about it, made up for it the next year when I got into a fistfight with this toolbox down the street for sticking firecrackers in a frog's mouth and lighting them up.

Anyway, Toad in the X-men did some damage, lol...most of the animal forms seem to try and capture the essence of the animal so wouldn't it make sense, if you are going to do a toad or frog, that you have a weapon that represents the tongue...I mean, IF you have to...

As far as Steve DeMasco, even though he is my disciple brother technically, he's corny and needs to clean up his game. There's more to Shaolin than making donations to the Abbot and I think he's got a lot of sack presenting "Shaolin."

What's with this testing stuff at the Temple, being branded with monks in attendance as if that lends a stamp of authenticity and credibility, not to mention the belt ceremonies...

They put out a poster for their seminars that was LACED with errors any true Shaolin would find embarassing.