Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Pull up question

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    ok, so wouldn't a full pull up, chin over the bar, be easier w/ a wider grip becuase the total distance you are pulling is less than regular or narrow?

also, a true pull up should be from a full hang, correct?

I feel like I'm running into a mechanical issue when my arms are just a bit wider than shoulder width...I don't feel failure especially but more of a 'they don't move any more in that direction'

could be that I've just got the '1 pullup blues'....

highest ever tonight...my lower lip was over the bar.

my goal has been to get '1' by new years...I'm going to officially go for it on monday the 3rd...giving me the 1st and 2nd to recover from the 31st.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Originally posted by Oso
    ok, so wouldn't a full pull up, chin over the bar, be easier w/ a wider grip becuase the total distance you are pulling is less than regular or narrow?
    Probably. Mechanical advantages too. E.g. I vary my hand position as my bench cycle increases. The 2nd week is half a hand wider on each side than the 1st week because it uses less triceps, more pectorals that way (and triceps are the weak link).
    Originally posted by Oso
    also, a true pull up should be from a full hang, correct?
    Yep. But my bars not that high so I get in position standing on the ground then lift my legs up behind me and cross my ankles and go from there i.e. I don't have to jump up to get to the bar.
    Originally posted by Oso
    I feel like I'm running into a mechanical issue when my arms are just a bit wider than shoulder width...I don't feel failure especially but more of a 'they don't move any more in that direction'
    Shoulder width shouldn't present major difficulties. Hands together might be a different story. Try varying the ROM of your elbows - pull them out to the side or out to the front (I do the latter). Try visualisation - sometimes I think of pulling my elbows down instead of pulling myself up.
    Originally posted by Oso
    my goal has been to get '1' by new years...I'm going to officially go for it on monday the 3rd...giving me the 1st and 2nd to recover from the 31st.
    Judging by your pre-Christmas eggnog, pie, etc posts, won't you still be paying for the festive season ? That'll make things harder ...
    "If trolling is an art then I am your yoda.if spelling counts, go elsewhere.........." - BL

"I don't do much cardio." - Ironfist

"Grip training is everything. I say this with CoC in hand." - abobo

Judging by your pre-Christmas eggnog, pie, etc posts, won't you still be paying for the festive season ? That'll make things harder ...
    actually, I just pulled the belt in another notch this week.

and, I've had steady increases in my pullup...two weeks ago I couldn't get my nose over the bar...not counting the one freak instance I did '1'

work hard, play hard and all that.

moderation is for monks, my friend, take big bites and enjoy life.

Yep. But my bars not that high so I get in position standing on the ground then lift my legs up behind me and cross my ankles and go from there i.e. I don't have to jump up to get to the bar.
    mine too, I can reach and grip flat footed and then I pull my legs up.

Shoulder width shouldn't present major difficulties. Hands together might be a different story. Try varying the ROM of your elbows - pull them out to the side or out to the front (I do the latter). Try visualisation - sometimes I think of pulling my elbows down instead of pulling myself up.
    my elbows are just slanted outward, not straight but not really far enough out to call it to the side.

I do use visualization and it helps a bunch.

I also talk, or rather, curse at them too...

and, FTR, I am doing this w/ 3 torn tendons in the right shoulder but I don't really think it's bothering me at all. there is no pain on pushups or pullups...dips are another story and I don't do them at all.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

well, tried to hit '1' today but failed.

I've got video of it, I'm a lot further away than I thought.

I've felt like I've been keeping my chin level but in the vid I see I am not.

I went for two, feeling like the first one was really close, the second is about 80% of the first.

still feeling stronger with my workouts but just not there yet.

I've done upper body 2 days a week for the last two weeks and I'm going to start trying to do it every other day. My recovery period has definitely shortened to 24-36 hours.