Page 10 of 39 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Video Footage

Originally posted by Shadowboxer
    Did a quick search. Looks like Pinnacle bought Dazzle. I couldn't find anything about "Dazzle Video Impression".

KF, do you still have Dazzle's documentation? Anything about what formats you can encode to or creating PC compatible files?
    Chances are that Dale sent the propriatary video capture files from dazzle as opposed to publishing them as .mpeg's and then sending them.

Dale,

You probably need to go into the software that you used to capture the video open the files and then 'save as' an .mpeg/.mov/.avi or whatever in order to publish them as such and send them out accordingly.

Sapere aude, Justin.

The map is not the Terrain.

"Wheather you believe you can, or you believe you can't...You're right." - Henry Ford

Originally posted by AmanuJRY
    You probably need to go into the software that you used to capture the video open the files and then 'save as' an .mpeg/.mov/.avi or whatever in order to publish them as such and send them out accordingly.
    I tried that. It didn't work either.
    Last edited by Knifefighter; 01-07-2005 at 06:38 PM.

Next best thing...

Until I figure the video thing out, I'll do this:

I've captured a series of stills from my clips. They are pretty representative of what is happening on the clips.

CLOSING TO THE CLINCH
    SACRIFICE TAKEDOWN
    MOUNT & POUND
    FINISH WITH A KEYLOCK

hey your a little guy
    If the truth hurts , then you will feel the pain

Do not follow me, because if you do, you will lose both me and yourself....but if you follow yourself, you will find both me and yourself

You sound rather pompous Ernie! -- by Yung Chun
    http://wslglvt.com

Re: Next best thing...

Originally posted by Knifefighter

I've captured a series of stills from my clips. They are pretty representative of what is happening on the clips.

CLOSING TO THE CLINCH
    SACRIFICE TAKEDOWN
    MOUNT & POUND
    FINISH WITH A KEYLOCK
    Can't wait to see the clips.
    PR
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    Traditional Wing Chun Academy NYC/L.A.
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Re: Next best thing...

CLOSING TO THE CLINCH
    SACRIFICE TAKEDOWN
    MOUNT & POUND
    FINISH WITH A KEYLOCK

---Looks good! Pretty standard MMA fare. But here I was thinking you were a WCK guy! I thought the goal was to show that WCK was more than just "patty-cakes chi sau." You've been criticising people and you don't even do WCK! Why do you care?

Keith

Hello all. I got a friend to take some video footage today of me sparring (without gear). He said he'd try and digitise it and send it to me but it may take a bit of time (hes just learning the ropes at the moment). Ill post it when I get it.
    'In the woods there is always a sound...In the city aways a reflection.'

'What about the desert?'

'You dont want to go into the desert'

- Spartan

Re: Re: Next best thing...

Originally posted by KPM
    ---Looks good! Pretty standard MMA fare. But here I was thinking you were a WCK guy! I thought the goal was to show that WCK was more than just "patty-cakes chi sau." You've been criticising people and you don't even do WCK! Why do you care?
    I've always said I was a MMA guy. The goal of the videos is to show that what you practice can be used when you fight against an opponent who is actually fighting back. My point is that MMA fighters use of techniques in their fights is almost exactly used the same way it is in training. On the other hand, the majority of WC techniques that are practiced are almost never used when fighting.

Why do I care? I don't, really, rather than just for arguments sake. Just playing the devil's advocate.

Dale,

I really appreciate what you are doing in those stills. Standard MMA. I did BJJ and Sambo for a while and think MMA is an effective vehicle for self defense.

I didn't realize you dont practice WCK? Funny but I really thought you did! I didn't know that! What I really dont get is how someone that does not practice WCK can hang around a WCK forum and comment on WCK all the time? Are you sure you dont like this art but because your are a MMA guy you feel the need to tell everyone its not very good!

hehehe

Wouldn't a MMA forum be more suitable for you? Lots more to chat about with your MMA bro's.

Regards,
    Jim

Originally posted by Jim Roselando
    Wouldn't a MMA forum be more suitable for you? Lots more to chat about with your MMA bro's.
    You know, I've never understood why people have a problem with non-wc'ers scrutinizing what we do. Even if you're not training for a competetive fight circuit of this sort, I'd imagine you're much more likely to run into someone who fights in a MMA vein then you are a seasoned WC practicioner. Shouldn't you be prepared for guys like this? And if you are, what's wrong with some scrutinty?

Knifefighter,
    Are you fighting bare knuckle in those stills?
    Last edited by Sandman2[Wing Chun]; 01-10-2005 at 08:50 AM.
    Thanks!
    Sandman[Wing Chun]

"Learning is not compulsory ... neither is survival."

-W. Edwards Derning

A thought on Civil Discourse:

“Democracy is a means of living together despite our differences. Democratic deliberation is an alternative to physical violence. It is predicated on the assumption that it’s possible to disagree agreeably, that it’s better to laugh than cry, that one can vigorously contest the positions of one’s adversary without questioning his or her personal integrity or motivation, and that parties to a debate are entitled to the presumption that their views are legitimate if not correct.” -Thomas Mann

Re: Re: Re: Next best thing...

Why do I care? I don't, really, rather than just for arguments sake. Just playing the devil's advocate.
    Funny because you always mentioned you are here because you enjoy watching a good trainwreck!...
    But anyway: I agree with our moderator about the right to scrutiny but I doubt the educational value of reading some posts for possible future encounters with MMA guys.There are better sources.Practice is better.
    Also: There is a line between "scrutiny" and trolling.This line is often crossed.Members may feel that and have a legitimate right to point that out.

Sandman!

You know, I've never understood why people have a problem with non-wc'ers scrutinizing what we do.

There is nothing wrong with it and it very good for us but what good is it if we dont really add anything to the discussions? What if we went on a Taiji site and starting saying stuff like this but replace WC with Taiji or any other art:

Maybe the fact that no one seems to be able to fight halfway decently using WC shows the inherent weakness in the system?

Now, we can all learn from each other but unfortunately a lot of discussion has been replaced with:

You dont know how to train, The system is weak, You cant swim, I know how to fight, this or that.

What good does this do for any of us? NADA! Maybe its ok to give a bit of a wake up call but then it comes time to discuss a productive solution or ideas to help one progress. If the answer is get out there and Spar more (which is what many refer to as fight) then that is fine but if that was it then conversation would be pretty sad right? I tried to use this Video idea as a "productive" way to help us all grow and learn from each other but it has not turned out that well because NOBODY is willing to share or place themselves on the chop block for discussion. Not even the "so-called" fighters who look down on everyone! Then! The couple (yes "3 out of 100's) that do end up being told how whats being shown is not worth talking about or its the same old.

Even if you're not training for a competetive fight circuit of this sort, I'd imagine you're much more likely to run into someone who fights in a MMA vein then you are a seasoned WC practicioner. Shouldn't you be prepared for guys like this? And if you are, what's wrong with some scrutinty?

There is nothing wrong with it at all and yes! We are more likely to face someone who is closer to a boxing based artist versus anythign else in the street but lets really take a hard look at what I am going to ask everyone now! Ready!

WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME ANYONE HAS SEEN A MARTIAL ARTIST IN A FIGHT? HMMMMM?

Its good to train against all kinds of stuff and people but in the end its up to us to do the hard work and just telling people something is not good or effective is not going to do any good for anyone unless a "productive" discussion is part of it IMO.

Old Jong said;

Also: There is a line between "scrutiny" and trolling.This line is often crossed.

I believe its crossed only when people do not add anything productive to help try an help with the things they feel are poor.

Regards,
    Jim

Sandman!

You know, I've never understood why people have a problem with non-wc'ers scrutinizing what we do.

There is nothing wrong with it and it very good for us but what good is it if we dont really add anything to the discussions? What if we went on a Taiji site and starting saying stuff like this but replace WC with Taiji or any other art:

This is a value judgement, the idea of whether or not something is being added to the discussion. As such, I think it would behoove us all to not run people off just becuase they don't fit our value statement on what is or isn't "adding to the discussion". or else instead of replacing WC with Taiji, you might as well replace it with Ving Tzun, and have the same "we dont' want to talk about what you want to talk about" discussion. My advice is that if you don't like a particular thread, just don't bother posting on it or following it.

Maybe the fact that no one seems to be able to fight halfway decently using WC shows the inherent weakness in the system?

Now, we can all learn from each other but unfortunately a lot of discussion has been replaced with:

You dont know how to train, The system is weak, You cant swim, I know how to fight, this or that.

What good does this do for any of us? NADA! Maybe its ok to give a bit of a wake up call but then it comes time to discuss a productive solution or ideas to help one progress. If the answer is get out there and Spar more (which is what many refer to as fight) then that is fine but if that was it then conversation would be pretty sad right? I tried to use this Video idea as a "productive" way to help us all grow and learn from each other but it has not turned out that well because NOBODY is willing to share or place themselves on the chop block for discussion. Not even the "so-called" fighters who look down on everyone! Then! The couple (yes "3 out of 100's) that do end up being told how whats being shown is not worth talking about or its the same old.

And telling someone to go back to their MMA forum helps this how?

Even if you're not training for a competetive fight circuit of this sort, I'd imagine you're much more likely to run into someone who fights in a MMA vein then you are a seasoned WC practicioner. Shouldn't you be prepared for guys like this? And if you are, what's wrong with some scrutinty?

There is nothing wrong with it at all and yes! We are more likely to face someone who is closer to a boxing based artist versus anythign else in the street but lets really take a hard look at what I am going to ask everyone now! Ready!

WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME ANYONE HAS SEEN A MARTIAL ARTIST IN A FIGHT? HMMMMM?

I work nights as a bouncer at a violent, hip-hop nightclub. A few of the bouncers have studied something, and there's 1-3 fights there in an evening, on average, as we pack in 2000 people at max capacity. So I see them, have been in them, and have seen others in them pretty regularly. It's interesting to see how the specifics of the environment change what people do. There are two guys there that study BJJ, but they avoid the ground at all cost due to the sheer amount of broken glass everywhere ($1.69 longnecks every thursday). Both of them are extremely good at standing locks and chokes.

Its good to train against all kinds of stuff and people but in the end its up to us to do the hard work and just telling people something is not good or effective is not going to do any good for anyone unless a "productive" discussion is part of it IMO.

I agree, but once again, what is or isn't considered "productive" is a value judgement. If you don't feel a conversation is productive, insert something that you feel is or just choose not to participate. no reason to bar others from the discussion.

Old Jong said;

Also: There is a line between "scrutiny" and trolling.This line is often crossed.

I believe its crossed only when people do not add anything productive to help try an help with the things they feel are poor.

See above.

Regards,
    Ultimately, I guess my point is that if someone is being critical of your method, they are under no more requirement to change their mind on what you're doing after you explain it then you are to change your mind after their criticism. And in a situation like that, why is the cry of "need to fight" more tedious than the constant repetitive "chi sau is the way" statement? I think the lack of videos does say alot. I can't make people have constructive conversations on here with each other, but running off dissenting opinions that are, from my point of view, no less repetative than anything else doesn't seem like much of an answer. Then again, I'm just the moderator, my goal is just to make sure people are reasonably polite with one another.

This isn't a general criticism of your postings Jim, I just have this pet peeve about the whole 'go back where you belong' mentality.
    Last edited by Sandman2[Wing Chun]; 01-10-2005 at 03:39 PM.
    Thanks!
    Sandman[Wing Chun]

"Learning is not compulsory ... neither is survival."

-W. Edwards Derning

A thought on Civil Discourse:

“Democracy is a means of living together despite our differences. Democratic deliberation is an alternative to physical violence. It is predicated on the assumption that it’s possible to disagree agreeably, that it’s better to laugh than cry, that one can vigorously contest the positions of one’s adversary without questioning his or her personal integrity or motivation, and that parties to a debate are entitled to the presumption that their views are legitimate if not correct.” -Thomas Mann

Sandman!

This isn't a general criticism of your postings Jim, I just have this pet peeve about the whole 'go back where you belong' mentality.

Understood and an excellent post!

Gotta run!
    Jim

but I really thought you did! I didn't know that! What I really dont get is how someone that does not practice WCK can hang around a WCK forum and comment on WCK all the time?
    Well, I used to train WC back in the 80's. Does that count?