Page 25 of 39 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast

Thread: Video Footage

Originally posted by Ernie
    [james]
    yes you do use that term and the sifu says stuff alot , or i know this guy that does this stuff alot
    or i saw a video so i formed my expert oppinion based on what i have been exposed to stuff

thats your filter bro ,
    i'm not a big fan of back seat driving

much more prefer to hear he [I] did this and this is what [I] discovered

but that's just me , i look for first hand experience

but i'm just silly that way
    There's no doubt in my mind that you have had ton's more "on hand" experience with different Martial artists/MA and such and just for that fact alone your actual fighting skills may be superior to mine, I have no problem admitting that, nor can I explain why I have never been attacked by 10 guys and almost beaten to death like you have. But your focus and mine are different my friend. Although I'm not the heavy duty trainer that you are now, I used to be, and have been there and done that as well, so in essence when I do post something it is what "I" have experienced first hand, and until the day comes that I claim everything I say as gospel truth, then there shouldn't be much of a problem because we all share different experience to which none of us may fully understand about one another. When it is not from a first hand experience then I use second hand knowledge because I trust the source and to actually go out and try to experience it all first hand is not possible to all as easily as it is for others. I have a personal motto, based on a saying that says "Experience is the greatest teacher" only that I have added the words, "Someone else's Experience is the greatest teacher" because it can prevent many mistakes from happening to you and therefore allow you to reach the goal faster than the one teaching you that lesson. Read any success orientated book or journal and they talk about finding a mentor, someone that has gone down the same path that you are and is further ahead in that journey, because he/she can tell you the short cuts and fastest ways to the ultimate goal, whatever that may be, that is if they are willing to be truthful with you in obtaining that goal. In my case Sifu has played that role, but not to the point that I have reached the goals faster than him, as I am not his equal when it comes to actual skill in MA, but he has certainly helped me achieve faster success in MA than if I were to try it alone. I do use him as a reference on many occasions, Yes I admit that, because simply most of what he says makes sense and since he does not frequent this forum often, I reference the source to which it comes from. I trust the source, not because I challenged him when I came into his school, lol, but because I have a faith in the man, based on personal experiences and others experience also.

My main point on these threads is this, when everything is equal IMO Wing Chun is a more effective delivery system than most of the other MA out there. The problem is nothing is ever equal because there are too many variables to consider when trying to solve that equation. So a good question or thread title might be "What determines definite Fighting Effectiveness, The Delivery System that gets you there or Individual Physical Attributes"? Both to equal parts? Or is one more essential than the other?

James

Ernie, Bill:

I said this earlier on the thread - but it bears repeating and expounding upon now...

What I did on these first set of videos was meant to just show so much - and no more.

If I had ATTACKED Myron with all that's in my arsenal...in all honesty...you would not have seen hardly any boxing at all...as I would have had him on the run...and I would have been closing on him constantly - and forcing a close quarter infight.

You would have seen less jabs from me, for example...and more closing off the first or second jab...into a closer Wing Chun striking/trapping range...with lots of techniques you would have recognized...and possibly some grabbing and fighting in the clinch...with elbows, knees, standing locks, takedowns...lots of kicking as he tried to gain space...some kicking as a means of me coming in from long range...the TWC Entry technique, etc.

But I chose not to do those things - because I wanted to show how to use pak against jabs and crosses...and bil against hooks...

along with some basic TWC principles - such as fighting on the blindside.

And I threw in chaining from Wing Chun to some takedowns and wrestling on the ground for good measure.

But that's all. Basically, I was just counter attacking.

So look upon that first set of videos as an appetizer...

and the entree is what's coming up in the future.
    Last edited by Ultimatewingchun; 01-29-2005 at 08:07 PM.

Originally posted by sihing
    My main point on these threads is this, when everything is equal IMO Wing Chun is a more effective delivery system than most of the other MA out there. The problem is nothing is ever equal because there are too many variables to consider when trying to solve that equation. So a good question or thread title might be "What determines definite Fighting Effectiveness, The Delivery System that gets you there or Individual Physical Attributes"? Both to equal parts? Or is one more essential than the other?
    What is equal is you. The only way to know for sure which art is the superior system is to train different systems. You have only trained in one system, which renders meaningless your statements about WC being the best.
    Last edited by Knifefighter; 01-29-2005 at 08:08 PM.

I have no respect for the intellectual excuse giver , it translates in my mind to a big mouth p*ssy that can't beat a one legged blind librarian with Alzheimers and a bad case of the runs
    Ernie,

Right now as we speak I'm working on video footage of a fight with a one legged blind librarian with Alzheimers and a bad case of the runs.

But I can take him. I know I can.

Him? Or her?

I have no respect for the intellectual excuse giver , it translates in my mind to a big mouth p*ssy that can't beat a one legged blind librarian with Alzheimers and a bad case of the runs

Regards,
    - kj
    "It's all related." - me

James ,
    what i can do or can't do or have been through is only my personal journey , not a truth for anyone else but a fact that i lived and no one can tell me otherwise for all the idea's they might spout out

so though you are right there are many guides that can point you in a certain direction and perhaps short cut the time to learn you still have to take each little step by yourself

you can not live through another persons life since the enviroment they pulled off things will not be the same moment or person or conditions

so you have to walk your own walk

often what kills martial arts is people taking on other people accomplishments as there own and passing on all this hand me down stuff as the truth and along the way it just turns to crap

real simple if you can not do it yourself then you shouldn't speak on it

since it holds no personal truth !

vic,
    it is what it is , guys working out with gear and some contact just like you said it would be !
    i'm glad your putting yourself out there , alot of people with comments don't

Wayfaring

i don't know i have seen some mean looking librarian's with that killer shhhhh factor

KJ
    they called me politically-safe

time to say all the wrong things
    If the truth hurts , then you will feel the pain

Do not follow me, because if you do, you will lose both me and yourself....but if you follow yourself, you will find both me and yourself

You sound rather pompous Ernie! -- by Yung Chun
    http://wslglvt.com

Originally posted by Knifefighter
    What is equal is you. The only way to know for sure which art is the superior system is to train different systems. You have only trained in one system, which renders meaningless your statements about WC being the best.
    It sounds like you are not even reading any of my posts, as I have stated that I do not believe in the word "Best". Also I have stated many times that no WC practitioner or Master or Grandmaster is invincible, just like any BJJ, or Muay Thai or Savate or JKD or any Martial Artist from any MA, no one is invincible. So if this is what I believe then what is the problem. Or is it that I think one art is more effective than another? The key word here is "ART". I compare Arts while most others on this forum compare individuals. Well it is a fact that not all arts are equal when you consider the individual effectiveness of what they teach and preach, or is this false also? Whenever you say that this or that WC person is lousy you are referring to a individual, to which is not a true reflection of a arts effectiveness. I find it funny when people argue the point that the straight line is faster than the round, and even funnier when they try to prove the point. How about this, you walk across the room in a curved line and do the same in a straight line and lets see who gets there first when the distance between point A and B in a straight line is only 30' but when it is a curved line it is 40'. But on here this is not always the case. There's always the "Yah But's" and "What if's". The problem is these arguements can be turned around to those questions also.

When comparing systems you have to compare what the systems teach, according to their concepts, principals and techniques, not what the individual can do with these things, because each individual is different and has their strengths and weaknesses. For a MA system to be effective it first has to be simple and to be available to everyone equally and effective for everyone equally. I've never tried to make it seem like there is a big gap between Wing Chun and every other MA out there, because there isn't a big gap between Wing Chun and the next one in line. The Gap is close.

What I like to do when I meet Martial Artist from other styles and a discussion arises as to a comparison between systems/styles is rather than proclaiming my feelings toward WC as gospel truth, I try to show them the inherient effectiveness apparent throughout the system. Let me ask you something Dale, are your techniques harder to learn than the techniques of the WC systems? Probably not. Do your techniques require more time to learn than Wing Chun's? Again probably not. Then what makes the difference is how effective are your techniques and concepts as compared to those inherient in the WC systems. Simple. If your system is inheriently more effective than my WC then it's fair to say the you would be a more effective fighter than I. Again if everything is equal, it all comes down to how effective are your movements or delivery system in getting the job done. Most on this "Wing Chun Forum" think otherwise, but I believe the WC systems is tops on this list.

James

James ,
    what i can do or can't do or have been through is only my personal journey , not a truth for anyone else but a fact that i lived and no one can tell me otherwise for all the idea's they might spout out
    so though you are right there are many guides that can point you in a certain direction and perhaps short cut the time to learn you still have to take each little step by yourself
    you can not live through another persons life since the enviroment they pulled off things will not be the same moment or person or conditions
    so you have to walk your own walk
    often what kills martial arts is people taking on other people accomplishments as there own and passing on all this hand me down stuff as the truth and along the way it just turns to crap,
    Agreed, pretty well the samething, just in different words.

James

It sounds like you are not even reading any of my posts, as I have stated that I do not believe in the word "Best".
    If you state something is better than all others, that makes you believe it is the "best" by default.

I find it funny when people argue the point that the straight line is faster than the round,
    There is way, way, way more to fighting than delivering your weapons in a straight line.

When comparing systems you have to compare what the systems teach, according to their concepts, principals and techniques, .
    You also have to look at how effectively the majority of practioners put their system into practice.

Originally posted by Knifefighter
    If you state something is better than all others, that makes you believe it is the "best" by default.

There is way, way, way more to fighting than delivering your weapons in a straight line.

You also have to look at how effectively the majority of practioners put their system into practice.
    Correction on that last sentence, it should read "You also have to look at how effectively the majority of practitioners ARE ABLE to put their system into practice"

JR

"You also have to look at how effectively the majority of practitioners ARE ABLE to put their system into practice."

IF THIS is the case, James...then why is it that so few people have posted any footage of themselves on this thread?

If the majority of the WC people are so capable...then why can't we see it?

Could it be because very few WC people are actually doing any hard sparring/fighting?

Originally posted by Ultimatewingchun
    Ernie, Bill:

I said this earlier on the thread - but it bears repeating and expounding upon now...

What I did on these first set of videos was meant to just show so much - and no more.

If I had ATTACKED Myron with all that's in my arsenal...in all honesty...you would not have seen hardly any boxing at all...as I would have had him on the run...and I would have been closing on him constantly - and forcing a close quarter infight.

You would have seen less jabs from me, for example...and more closing off the first or second jab...into a closer Wing Chun striking/trapping range...with lots of techniques you would have recognized...and possibly some grabbing and fighting in the clinch...with elbows, knees, standing locks, takedowns...lots of kicking as he tried to gain space...some kicking as a means of me coming in from long range...the TWC Entry technique, etc.

But I chose not to do those things - because I wanted to show how to use pak against jabs and crosses...and bil against hooks...

along with some basic TWC principles - such as fighting on the blindside.

And I threw in chaining from Wing Chun to some takedowns and wrestling on the ground for good measure.

But that's all. Basically, I was just counter attacking.

So look upon that first set of videos as an appetizer...

and the entree is what's coming up in the future.
    Victor!
    Maybe you could have added a scroll (Like in star war movies) at the beginning of your clips saying: "It is not what I really do!...My real Wing Chun is for some future clips"

Using that logic every news paper and library should be shut down.
    "I could kick CXW's @ss"
    t_niehoff, KFO, 10 October 2004

Originally posted by Redd
    Using that logic every news paper and library should be shut down.
    be alot less hype in the world
    If the truth hurts , then you will feel the pain

Do not follow me, because if you do, you will lose both me and yourself....but if you follow yourself, you will find both me and yourself

You sound rather pompous Ernie! -- by Yung Chun
    http://wslglvt.com