Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Who are the "real" grandmasters??

This is the problem, one person that thinks he knows what 1 million, or more, people are thinking and feeling. Ridiculous...

How do either of you know what anyone of us on this forum or the other 99.9% of WC practitioners that don't frequent this forum or don't inhabit your home town are doing each and every training session. To make such statements is a reflection of your predjudice and could definetly get one into trouble one day, as overconfidence is the first mistake.

Name me one Martial Art that doesn't have lazy practitioners and I will call you a LIAR to your face. I could care less what Martial Art you name, each one has "Rotten Apples" and can easily be looked upon as a disgrace to their art.

JR

"If WC people would get out there and regularly test themselves, it would be easy to say who is good and who is not.

Jimmy Pedro (judo), BJ Penn (BJJ;MMA), Roy Jones Jr. (boxing); Eric "Top Dog" Knaus (stickfighting), Mirco Cro Cop (Kickboxing; MMA), and Dan Henderson (wrestling; MMA) are clearly good. One can easily say this because they have regularly tested and displayed their skills against others in environments where everyone can watch them.

Most WC people rarely venture outside of the safety of their schools." (KF)

WHICH IS WHY....one of the things I've been advocating since I came on this forum two years ago are organized Wing Chun Full Contact Fighting Tournaments...annually...or semi-annually, or whatever.

Which could eventually become invitational and open to other styles to participate as well.

AND VIRTUALLY NO ONE around here endorsed the idea...just two or three people.

I find this amazing.

But not in a good way.

Originally posted by Matrix
    James,
    That's the way I see it as well.

If we're going to say as Airdrawndagger suggests, that there's a WC "good" and a boxing "good", and that one "good" is not as good as the other, then we're playing word games.
    ---I agree with you guys as well. If the implication by some is that "good" boxing is better than "good" Wing Chun, then why haven't they dropped Wing Chun and gone whole-heartedly into boxing? We keep hearing how wonderful MMA training is, so why haven't these same people dropped their Wing Chun and focused on MMA? I agree with something that James said awhile back as well. He pointed out that it sure seems strange that you can come to a Wing Chun forum and end up having to defend Wing Chun! This is probably a skewed impression, but it sometimes seems that there are some here that don't think much of Wing Chun, but still practice it and feel like they need to change it! Why not just skip the Wing Chun and focus on boxing, or kickboxing, or BJJ, or catch wrestling, etc? If Wing Chun is so awful.....why continue to practice it? If boxing or MMA has all the answers, then why not pursue that? The typical neophyte to martial arts that happened upon this forum with the intent to find out more about Wing Chun would probably go away thinking "that's obviously not something I want to study!" Terence laughed at me on another thread because I didn't like the "tone." Well....there is a difference between saying that "Wing Chun is a great martial art and here are some things to consider that can make it better" and saying "Wing Chun is worthless and not a martial art at all unless you are doing these specific things....." We get too much of the later attitude and not enough of the former. It does make a difference. The "in your face" attitude may be warranted on occasion to make a point and wake people up, but to have it here day after day in darn near every thread gets real old real fast and people simple start to ignore it. If you scan through the most recent posts you will find many of the "regulars" missing. Coincidence? Or did they just get tired of the recent tone in the forum?

Keith

Originally posted by KPM
    The "in your face" attitude may be warranted on occasion to make a point and wake people up, but to have it here day after day in darn near every thread gets real old real fast and people simple start to ignore it. If you scan through the most recent posts you will find many of the "regulars" missing. Coincidence? Or did they just get tired of the recent tone in the forum?

Keith
    No coincidence. It was his plan all along. He and his posse even said so.
    "I could kick CXW's @ss"
    t_niehoff, KFO, 10 October 2004

Terence says:
    **Bingo -- that's exactly why they don't, because it would reveal that they have no real fighting (WCK) skill.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------

((From behind the key board or from from a 24 hour roving helicopter people can see what all others are doing and who has done what testing- so that the self proclaimed fighters and a couple of trolls can make their pronouncements?
    Good lawd :- ))

Keith asks:

If the implication by some is that "good" boxing is better than "good" Wing Chun, then why haven't they dropped Wing Chun and gone whole-heartedly into boxing?
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------

(((Ha ha--- can you imagine some of the 40-50 year olds on this list really going whole heartedly into boxing?
    Jabberwocky and mulligatawny soup and xxxx chat is easier...
    with a dash of chest beating.

The intriguing question is why do some folks who really are doing mma still like to hang on to the label wing chun?)))

The intriguing question is why do some folks who really are doing mma still like to hang on to the label wing chun?))) [/B]
    I have been asking this question for years!

Originally posted by KPM
    If the implication by some is that "good" boxing is better than "good" Wing Chun, then why haven't they dropped Wing Chun and gone whole-heartedly into boxing? We keep hearing how wonderful MMA training is, so why haven't these same people dropped their Wing Chun and focused on MMA?
    I did.

Originally posted by Vajramusti
    The intriguing question is why do some folks who really are doing mma still like to hang on to the label wing chun?)))
    I don't.

Originally posted by Knifefighter
    I did.

I don't.
    At least in this post you used the letter "I" for once, instead of the all inclusive "us" you always try to convey to all on the forum.

JR