Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Why not have an open mind about real fighting?

First of all...I don't do Ving Tsun.

Second of all...you just don't get it.

I want to be the very best I can be - given the circumstances of my life.

When was the last time I got into a fight with a grappler?

Here's a better question:

Given the amount of martial art schools that exist here in NYC...who can guarantee that my next fight won't be against a skilled grappler?

As for weapons - I do use/train/own them.

So what?

Still need to be able to fight unarmed...

Good bye.
    Last edited by Ultimatewingchun; 01-30-2005 at 07:25 PM.

Thats fine but dont shove your garbage down everyones throat.

BE THE BEST YOU CAN BE

Great good for you, i hope you achive your goals. You have some good points about different subjects and I respect your views...just dont try to convince the world that your right and everyone else that doesnt share your perspective is wrong.

You still didnt answer the question........

Last edited by RedJunkRebel; 01-30-2005 at 08:46 PM.
    Sifu Adam Williss
    The Dragon Institute
    Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/orangecountywingchunkungfu

Originally posted by Airdrawndagger
    Or, get mugged/attacked by someone with a weapon.
    If you are attacked with a weapon, you are much more likely to survive and/or have less severe injuries with grappling or grappling mixed with striking than with striking alone.
    Last edited by Knifefighter; 01-30-2005 at 08:36 PM.

...because you can control the weapon / person rather then have both parties arm's flailing and the person without the weapon getting cut up or shot up?
    "I don't know if anyone is known with the art of "sitting on your couch" here, but in my eyes it is also to be a martial art.

It is the art of avoiding dangerous situations. It helps you to avoid a dangerous situation by not actually being there. So lets say there is a dangerous situation going on somewhere other than your couch. You are safely seated on your couch so you have in a nutshell "difused" the situation."

Originally posted by Vankuen
    ...because you can control the weapon / person rather then have both parties arm's flailing and the person without the weapon getting cut up or shot up?
    That's part of it. Knowledge of grappling can also help to prevent an opponent from accessing a weapon. Additionally, with blunt force weapons, and even with edged weapons to a certain degree, grappling cuts down on the force that can be generated by the weapon.

Originally posted by Knifefighter
    That's part of it. Knowledge of grappling can also help to prevent an opponent from accessing a weapon. Additionally, with blunt force weapons, and even with edged weapons to a certain degree, grappling cuts down on the force that can be generated by the weapon.
    And contact excercises like chi-sao cannot help either with everything mentioned above, lol. Chi-sao is a method of grappling if you haven't already figured it out.

James

Originally posted by sihing
    Chi-sao is a method of grappling if you haven't already figured it out.
    That is is. The problem is, it is a much less effective form of grappling than what the grapplers already do for working hand, arm, and body control.

Originally posted by Knifefighter
    That is is. The problem is, it is a much less effective form of grappling than what the grapplers already do for working hand, arm, and body control.
    Your forgot again to include in your statement "IMO".

JR

P.S. Just for the record I have nothing against grapplers, kickers, strikers, or any other Martial Artist from any system or style, all have value and skills that demand respect.

James

Knifefighter is correct. IMO.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

Originally posted by sihing
    Your forgot again to include in your statement "IMO".
    Actually, "in my experience" is what it should have been.

Originally posted by anerlich
    Knifefighter is correct. IMO.
    Off course it is Anerlich, since Spain converted to the dark side, lol, you follow.

James

Talking

Converted to the dark side....

Ha,ha,Ha,ha,Ha,ha

James...you are hysterical !!!

Re: Re: Re: Evolve or Die

Originally posted by Vankuen
    [
    You both seem to be open to the evolution of wing chun...but the evolution doesn't lie within it's own confines. Practicing it longer will make you better at wing chun, but you're not going to all of a sudden find the secret ground fighting techniques, or the secret long range fighting techniques because you've put in your 20 years. It's not going to happen. We have to be open to looking towards those that have the most expertise in whatever field we are looking to develop. That is the way of the warrior. Why wait to "discover" something that might get you by when you can learn something that is proven to work effectively now?
    To answer the second bold questin, because i trust my sifu's teachings. Yes, many may consider this to be a cop out answer, or another example of blind faith, but there is a huge difference between trust and blind faith.

Also I only have a limited amount of resources (time in this case) to devote to my martial skills, I have chosen to devote all of that to WC for ten years (my sifu has said often, if you don't get it in ten years, you never will) that does not mean I won't work with other styles, thats encouraged andd ive done it whenever given the opourtunity.

to the first statment i made bold, I don't expect sudden enlightenment of secret techniques, long hidden in the forms, I expect that if I keep diligent work, I will gain the results I want. From what I have seen, the ground fighting, the llong range attacks(and defenses) and the dealing with random attacks (ie non wing chun attacks delivered in a real fasion) are all there, right in front of me, but it will take more time and more work from myself to see them and gain the 'kung' I desire.

Vankuen, someday soon, pehaps this summer, i would love to come down to SA and meet up with you. The graplers ive so far faced have been of the high school varity, and a few karateka with some grappling practice.

I may be no master, but what student can not aford a few black eyes
    "Cyanide is a dangerous chemical. That's why it is a crime to possess it without a peaceful purpose," said U.S. Attorney Fitzgerald.