Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Wing Chun on the ground

Joy wrote:

More nonsense:
    Second, I'm sure Emin's "anti-grappling system" has merit but it's not "pure" or "traditional" WCK, it's his personal system that combines WCK and grappling.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    (((The conclusion is already confirmed in the premise- darned if you do- darned if you dont---

**I have a WCK student that was a Div. 1, NCAA, varsity wrestler. The fact that he can fight on the ground has nothing to do with his WCK skills (he could do that, like Boztepe, before he came to WCK).

**Joy, as an example, WCK will not help you escape (or survive) the mount or the guard against anyone good, it doesn't give us those tools. The bridge, elbow-escape, shrimping, knowledge of submissions (so we don't get caught in them), etc. aren't in our WCK toolbox. Nor do we have the tools that will permit us to take advantage of the mount (the submisions, associate body movements, etc.) or pass their guard. Yip Man did not teach groundfighting, nor did YKS/Sum or any other traditional source. Moreoever, even with those tools, it takes hundreds of hours of practice (live grappling with resisting, skilled opponents) to develop it significantly. Who in WCK does that?

"WCK is no good on the ground.
    If you develop defenses on the ground it must not be wck---
    must be something personal and not pure and smuggled from previous experience.
    Therefore, wck is no good on the ground."

**If a WCK practitioner gets knocked to the ground, sure there are things they can do, like kick or punch, etc. A boxer would do that too! But that doesn't mean boxing has groundfighting. Neither boxing or WCK is a groundfightng method, neither really prepares us for dealing with good groundfighters. Experience will prove that. Having a few things one can try does not make one a competant groundfighter. Similarly, BJJ has some stand-up that enables them to try and survive until they can get the take down, but it no one would say BJJ hascompetant stand-up -- they don't have the tools, they don't train stand-up, etc.

A different view---
    Spend quality time in learning wing chun. Practice. Experiment gradually in keeping with development stage.

**That begs the question of how can one determine what quality WCK is? By theory? Reputation? Ability to do chi sao well?

Wing chun takes quality time in learning- more to it than the sequences in forms.
    Practice not being taken to the ground. Develop a live strong but flexible
    stance and mobility. If taken to the ground play your own game rather than out envisioning out-grappling a grappler. Learn wing chun attack lines well. Sense the balance points and use the platforms for power delivery that open up whenever they do. You need to sense these things.
    Be relaxed. Develop control. And deliverable short power
    from all possible angles for strikes or pre strike controls.
    The wing chun engine can work with and use many gears and clutches and transmissions of power delivery..

**This is all theory -- and sounds like "trust in the force, Luke": it sounds great, but it won't work. Let's see evidence of your approach rather than theory. There's a reason we don't see the evidence: because things won't work like that. Go visit a good groundfighter and see for yourself. Have them take the mount and see what you can do. Have them put you in the guard and see what you can do. You don't need to take my word for it. (But I would be willing to put some money on it. ).

Madame wing chun, Leung Jan, Ip Man and "your"momma
    (or Couture or Lidell)wont help you- but your understanding
    of wing chun, self confidence and guts could..

Be at peace with yourself- depending on time and place
    all kinds of bad luck can occur besides the appearance of
    someone interested in taking you to the ground.

Gradually build up your wing chun skills- the chances are slim that you will be attacked by Rickson at the street corner
    tomorrow.

**Very true, but you do stand the chance of being taken down and put in a head-and-arm or mounted by someone that has some high school wrestling (and who has watched a UFC and thinks "gound-and-pound" is great), and if you don't have the skills, you'll find yourself unable to cope. Just try getting out of a solid standing headlock that some strong guy slaps on you and you'll see WCK's limits (and if you think you'll "grab the peaches" or "poke the eyes", it's because you never had someone that knew what to do put a headlock on you -- you'll never get the chance).

Not just theory but no chest thumping on "experience" either- thank you. And- i am not in the marketing business.

BTW- directed at those seriously interested in wing chun
    and not directed at wc skeptics and trolls.

**I'm not a "WC skeptic" but a WCK realist -- it's fine and dandy to have beliefs, it's another thing to step up and test them. Of course, everyone is highlyskilled behind closed doors. The bottom line is no WCK person without grappling experience has ever been able to deal with a good groundfighter on the ground. I'm not saying everyone should study groundfighting. If you don't want to do it, don't. If you don't want to be a well-rounded fighter, that's fine. You can be really good at WCK without having any ground game.

If you dont have enough confidence in wing chun- its ok to
    find somethong that you can use. Conquer fear- there is life before and after wing chun ( or grappling).
    Develop awareness, preparation, best possible good health rather than paranoia.

**Lots of people have confidence because they are deluded. And some claim to have confidence. But what I don't understand is that if they are so confident, why the reluctance to put themselves in positions to prove what they believe?

Terence asks:
    But what I don't understand is that if they are so confident, why the reluctance to put themselves in positions to prove what they believe?
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Terence-
    There are folks who do want to prove to themselves that what they can do "works". And some have. But not everyone will get their psyches jarred because they have not proved it you or others folks on a side of an imaginary line in the sand.

I made my point and you made yours. We have never met. Why not let it go at that?...

Terence,

fair enough. Anyone who thinks you can get better without putting the work in is so far gone and delusional that they aren't worth the time, though.

Terence and Joy,

why don't we try to keep this thread concrete, and add a few specifics.

Nick,

that body mechanic for stopping the single is freaky and weird and I'm still playing with it- it's something I haven't developed. I spent about 1/2 hr working on just that with sifu Emin last month. I couldn't get his foot more than 3 inches off the floor, switching between singles and doubles - lifting, and not trying to turn the corner or anything, just going into his mechanic trying to deadlift his &*^&^( leg to no avail. The head control helped but there was some composite of adduction, hamstring work (which he kept emphasizing), and hip usage, that I need to play with more.

Any thoughts? Have you analyzed that at all? It seems related to the kick-through/ stomp through defenses to singles, but he seemed to imply that the linkages should be constant.

Later,

Andrew

Originally posted by t_niehoff
    I have a WCK student that was a Div. 1, NCAA, varsity wrestler.
    I have sidai that were Ohio State first string wrestlers, 10 year Army Ranger veterans, and NHB fighters.

WCK will not help you escape (or survive) the mount or the guard against anyone good, it doesn't give us those tools.
    Said Ohio State wrestler, when last we tested, could actually get me (and my fellow seniors) to the ground less than 1 out of 20 shoots. The Army Ranger, more often. But that's why we train, no?

Point being that a WC curriculum DID and DOES give us the tools to test against resisting opponents who know what they are doing, and to come out of such a test on the winning side.

Lots of people have confidence because they are deluded. And some claim to have confidence. But what I don't understand is that if they are so confident, why the reluctance to put themselves in positions to prove what they believe?
    Some people only feel the need to prove things to themselves, and don't owe anything to anyone else.

Maybe if those people saw some proof (other than forum claims) from those demanding the proof they would me more likely to meet halfway. Or maybe they just don't feel the need to have a swordfight.

-Levi

Just pick a thick newspaper and make a roll out of it.Strike repeatedly on the head or nose with it....I know it worked on all dogs hugging my leg.

Originally posted by AndrewS

Nick,

that body mechanic for stopping the single is freaky and weird and I'm still playing with it- it's something I haven't developed. I spent about 1/2 hr working on just that with sifu Emin last month. I couldn't get his foot more than 3 inches off the floor, switching between singles and doubles - lifting, and not trying to turn the corner or anything, just going into his mechanic trying to deadlift his &*^&^( leg to no avail. The head control helped but there was some composite of adduction, hamstring work (which he kept emphasizing), and hip usage, that I need to play with more.

Any thoughts? Have you analyzed that at all? It seems related to the kick-through/ stomp through defenses to singles, but he seemed to imply that the linkages should be constant.
    Yeah. at 6'2 and 10 years of weights im not small but when i tried to pick his leg up of the floor all i did was pull my self into him. The WT stance is plenty different from ours so im not so au fait with the mechanics. Visualising compressing a steel spring between the knees might go so some way though. Actually I remember him saying 'I bet some of you are thinking ill go and do leg adductions on the weight machines (which spookily was exactly what i was thinking) but this is about isometric/static strength not dynamic strength'.

FWIW, Ricardo Viera (leo's brother) showed me recently what hed do in that scenario i.e. immediately turn the corner, snake his hand through to the far leg and do a rear double ankle pick.

He also had some cool single defences. For eg he has shot to your right leg head inside. You snkae left hand through your own legs and grab the back of his left tricep and grab his right arm with your right. Step forward with left leg (the free one) sit down on your left foot and kick straight up with right foot. This will flip him right over and you move into side control.
    'In the woods there is always a sound...In the city aways a reflection.'

'What about the desert?'

'You dont want to go into the desert'

- Spartan

Andrew,

This says it all.

Originally posted by AndrewS
    My goal is *not* to be a guy who does a bunch of different martial arts, but to be a conditioned athlete with a number of strategies which are consistent when standing, on the ground, or with a weapon in hand, with my mechanics and timing in each area reinforcing the other.

This is what I've learned from Wing Chun.
    Great post!
    Sapere aude, Justin.

The map is not the Terrain.

"Wheather you believe you can, or you believe you can't...You're right." - Henry Ford

Originally posted by taltos
    I have sidai that were Ohio State first string wrestlers, 10 year Army Ranger veterans, and NHB fighters.
    Said Ohio State wrestler, when last we tested, could actually get me (and my fellow seniors) to the ground less than 1 out of 20 shoots. The Army Ranger, more often. But that's why we train, no?
    Point being that a WC curriculum DID and DOES give us the tools to test against resisting opponents who know what they are doing, and to come out of such a test on the winning side.

Some people only feel the need to prove things to themselves, and don't owe anything to anyone else.

Maybe if those people saw some proof (other than forum claims) from those demanding the proof they would me more likely to meet halfway. Or maybe they just don't feel the need to have a swordfight.
    -Levi
    Good post Levi, especially the last paragraph, some have no need to prove anything to anyone, it's called a lack of ego, and strong faith based on one's experience and training that has gotten them solid quality skills, already proven through the various test that are required from those responsible and in charge of their training and instruction as well as one's own standards and internal quality control. Quality is quality gentlemen and ladies, it is undeniable when it is perfomed and seen, and it is undeniable when confronted by another in physical combat.

James
    Last edited by sihing; 02-01-2005 at 10:43 PM.

Originally posted by sihing
    some have no need to prove anything to anyone, it's called a lack of ego, and strong faith based on one's experience and training that has gotten them solid quality skills, already proven through the various test that are required from those responsible and in charge of their training and instruction as well as one's own standards and internal quality control.
    If you want to excel in any area of endeavor, you must continue to prove, test, and improve yourself...

Not to others...

But to yourself...

Not for ego..

But to keep up with the evolutionary process that is the natural part of all human efforts.

Fail to do so and you will be left behind by those who do.

Andrew, Nick

Great stuff very much of interest to me. Keep it coming. I've seen the Emin Boztepe and Gutieerez takes on Antigrappling and like what i see.

Any of you two got clips of what you're talking about to put up???? I for one would be interested to see them.

Kev
    It's time to turn it on! This is what i train for, this is where i want to be. Fear is not an option it's time to release the rage!

11. Originally posted by Vankuen
    No OJ it's not such a big deal and one can learn it in a relatively short time...that's why I can't seem to understand one simple thing....

Why no one on here can just friggin admit that wing chun simply does not have any ground game. Period. It's like the people here are almost afraid...as if they're going to turn to dust the minute they say : "no...wing chun does not have any training in "this" area of fighting."
    Hi Vankuen,
    A few years (mid90`s)back I got a call from a friend asking me to sponsor a seminar for a visiting prominent WT instructor.
    I happily agreed and let all the local wingchun schools know about it. On the day I thought I was at BJJ seminar!
    He had everyone doing what looked like Wing Chun, doing drills from various ground positions, very effective and spurred a new whole realm of exploration.
    The circuluum was very organised with a wide range of counter drills from each ground fighting position.
    So I think there is a segment of the Wing Chun world developing this facet, it may take a couple generation to catch to up to the level of ground skill that the gracies have, but I think Wing Chun principles in Ground fighting has the potential to surpass BJJ in reality no rules fighting.
    Just another View
    Mark Rasmus

http://au.geocities.com/markrasmus/retreat.html

"but I think Wing Chun principles in Ground fighting has the potential to surpass BJJ in reality no rules fighting." (Mark Rasmus)

Well when you consider that in NHB events BJJ people also use striking and kicking...then your theory does not hold water. While it's true that certain Wing Chun principles and techniques can be useful while grappling on the ground (I use them myself)...the fact is that Wing Chun is not a grappling art...and will NEVER surpass BJJ, or Catch Wrestling, or Sambo, or Greco-Roman, or Judo, or any other grappling system...ON THE GROUND. There is not enough leverage - when on the ground - for a striking art to prevail against a grappling art. Grappling arts are made for the ground - and for standing fighting at the range where strikes can't be made effectively...because there is not enough space.

You can take anti-grappling moves only so far - and no further.
    Last edited by Ultimatewingchun; 02-04-2005 at 06:49 AM.

13. Originally posted by Ultimatewingchun
    ...because there is not enough space.
    You can take anti-grappling moves only so far - and no further.
    You may be right....
    We play a game called tiger claw. The rules are simple, find the eye, throat or groin with the claw in the grapple on the ground from different positions. I have played with some good BJJ people, not great but good. In grappling I am a nobody. So if I can hold my own, somebody who spent a few hours on the matt every day for a few years would do much better. Just train the tiger claw, squeeze the tennis ball when you drive the car to work and make your fingers like steel. Obviously there is allot more to it than that, but its a start.
    and I may be wrong and you may be right....
    Regards
    Mark

I agree with Victor, WC skills can't surpass Grappling skills ON THE GROUND. Most grappling arts have spent as many years developing the techniques and training methods for grappling as WC has for it's game (stand-up/striking).

But it seems the idea of 'anti-grappling' has been pinned as being a form of grappling or has incorporated aspects of grappling arts. IMO, 'anti-grappling' would be a set of tactics designed to PREVENT a person from grappling (of which I believe WC has many).

For the inevitable 'what if' (what if they already have you in a hold, lock, taken you to ground.....etc.) the idea of 'anti-grappling' has failed and you are now grappling, and the one who has more flight time or better training methods will prevail.

Besides, chi sau looks funny when you're rolling around on the ground.
    Sapere aude, Justin.

The map is not the Terrain.

"Wheather you believe you can, or you believe you can't...You're right." - Henry Ford

"Just train the tiger claw, squeeze the tennis ball when you drive the car to work and make your fingers like steel. Obviously there is allot more to it than that, but its a start."

This is hardly news in grappling or groundfighting circles. Grip training is done by many competitive grapplers, probably with more commitment than most WCers. A strong grip is a HUGE asset to a grappler (or any MAist for that matter).

Many train to add such "dirt" to their delivery systems. on the ground. Check out Gene Lebell's Grappling Master for some graphic illustrations of illegal techniques such as that you mention.

Kimura, the great Japanese Judoka who gave his name to the lower figure 4 arm lock, and who broke Helio GRacie's arm in a challenge match, had the nickname "groin squeezer", for reasons fairly easy to guess.

The old BJJ saying: he who controls, bites. The guy who controls his opponent is the one who can deliver the gouge, rip or tiger claw with greatest effectiveness.

I wish MAists would learn from each other, rather than trying to come up with ways to make WC beat BJJ - and these ARE recent innovations, mostly by Emin - just becaue Emin and the Gracies had a silly misunderstanding some years ago.

"but I think Wing Chun principles in Ground fighting has the potential to surpass BJJ in reality no rules fighting"

Until someone pulls it off in a major competitive event, potential is all that there will be (in the opinion of some, anyway).

While people could be experimenting with and possibly "improving" WC for ground use, BJJers and other groundfighters have innovated for the last 50-odd years, and will continue to innovate. While WC is moving ahead, so are they. Arguably, innovation and evolution is easier, faster and more effective in non-traditional arts like BJJ and Western grappling.

I don't really care if WC beats BJJ or vice versa. I do both , so whatever happens I win.
    Last edited by anerlich; 02-04-2005 at 06:55 PM.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!