Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Piercing Power

Simon,

you fell because you were p*ssed, you b*st*rd. You get my email yet?

Here's a nice drill set for you- get a 6-8 lb rubber medicine ball (or a 4 and a 10 so you can work one for power one for more speed). Hold it elbows in (like the piercing hands in CK) and fire it at a wall, standing at a distance where you can catch it without having to change levels too much. Fire the ball at the wall, catch and absorb, then fire again as fast as possible after the catch, absorbing with the body as much as possible and with the arm as little as possible. Do sets of 20. Then do roughly the same thing with the turn. Next, do this drill, throwing the ball the same way but with a step, stepping back quickly, then stepping into the ball as it rebounds (probably a bit off-center), trying to catch it with your lead foot midair, absorb, and fire it back at the wall as you close the stance down. The last one is easier with a partner, btw.

Later,

Andrew

Andrew,

Yep and it was great to hear from you. I'll fire one back (specifically to ask about that active bong reply) but I'm getting ready for the only week's holiday we get here in Taiwan for Chinese New Year which for me starts later on today.

Thanks for the drill btw. I'll look to get a medicine ball ASAP. The weird thing about Taiwan is it's not how you'd expect it to be. The electronics aren't really that much cheaper (apart from PC's) and there's hardly any MA shops. When my training partner gets back from the states I'll try a few things on him as well.

All the best,

Simon.

Originally posted by dej2

Here is a section on punching from the Wing Chun Archives web site.

http://www.wingchunkuen.com/why/arti..._punching.html

Eight Fists
    The most used and recognized Wing Chun punch is the pulling vertical punch "chair kuen". It is said that all other punches are a variation based on this simple yet very important punch. The proper structure is by holding the fist vertical, the whole fist should make contact with the intended target, with the bottom three knuckles emphasized. By holding the fist in a vertical position, the muscles in the arm are kept in their most relaxed and natural position. This position also considers the skeletal structure of the arm. Basically, the skeletal alignment is very strong structurally while the muscles are being kept relaxed, allowing for fast punches with the explosive release of energy into the opponent. The punch explodes forward like a bullet. The elbow is forced inward and down by keeping the fist vertical, this position promotes trapping, a method used in conjunction with the attacking hand. The elbow should work like a piston pushing and pulling the fist to its proper placement, along the elbow line. The rear elbow's position also helps to defend against mid level body attacks. Even though this punch travels in a straight line, it contains drilling movement, without this the punch is dead, not to mention there a greater possibility of damaging the elbow. This punch is considered an uprooting technique because of the rising path it travels. It starts at the height of the sternum and drills upward until the motion completes at shoulder height, thus, uprooting the opponent if properly placed. When the fist is in the rear position, do not bend the wrist, keep it in the same position as it would be when extended.

Drilling punch "joung-lo kuen" is a mid level punch that travels down the centerline and stops with the elbow about a fist away from the practitioners own body with palm facing upward. This punch drills forward and makes contact with the entire fist, while focusing on the front two knuckles because of the angle of the fist. This punch has forward energy with a slight upward drill; it may also be used similar to a boxer's uppercut. Don't extend this punch; keep it close to the body and bring your body to the target.

Low punch "chaap kuen" is a straight punch focused at a low-level area. The entire fist makes contact while the focus is on the first two knuckles. The angle of the fist is almost horizontal. A low vertical punch would make contact with the index finger first, putting the wrist in a vulnerable position. While practicing this punch, it should be aimed forward, not to the floor. Again, like all the punches, there must be drilling motion within this punch.

Inside whipping punch "ngoi faan kuen" is a straight punch that starts with a small circle which travels to a straight line. This punch travels on the centerline and is used to move around something in its path with a circular movement. The elbow must not float outward from the side of the body otherwise this punch would become a back-fist, which is not a Wing Chun punch. The elbow must be behind the fist to power it forward. The entire fist will make contact with the lower three knuckles emphasized. A whipping type of energy should be used with is punch.

Outside whipping punch " hoi faan kuen" is very similar to the inside whipping punch except that it circles to the outside of the centerline and proceeds back to the centerline. This punch also uses a whipping motion and is used to move around something that is blocking its intended target. Keep the circles very small for both the inside and outside whipping punches otherwise you will open yourself up for an attack. Again, the entire fist makes contact with the lower three knuckles emphasized.

Inside diagonal punch "ngoi doi gok kuen" appears similar to a boxers hook except that the whole body turns, drilling the punch into the center, ending with the fist on the centerline. This fist can be used when a straight line cannot. The fist is at the height of the sternum when practicing in the air, while the angle of the fist is in between being horizontal and vertical (palm facing yourself). The elbow is out slightly, while sunk. The entire fist makes contact with this punch.

Outside diagonal punch "hoi doi gok kuen" travels from the opposite shoulder and heads in a straight line to the centerline. This punch cuts inward to find or create an opening in an opponent's structure. This fist can be used when you do not have the centerline. Quite often, outside facing footwork is used with this punch. The entire fist makes contact with the lower three knuckles emphasized.

Hammer fist "chour kuen" makes contact with the bottom side of the fist. In order to structurally support the fist, the thumb must be placed on top of the index finger rather than on the side. This fist may be applied in any angle needed, high or low. Any type of chopping motion may be replaced with the hammer fist.
    This was written by my Sifu: Patrick Gordon.

( From Vankuen) Too many different names for basically the same punch, they're only coming from different directions....to me there's no need to make 4 punches in a curriculum that are basically the same. The whipping punch is still the straight punch, only coming from a bong position or something of the like depending on whether it's inside or outside whipping, the diagonal punch, is the same as the chair kuen except the angle that you're punching from....do you really think it's necessary to catagorize it as a "different" punch? And then like I said, some lineages don't have all the catagorizations at all.
    Since these punches take different routes to reach their target,they also need to be trained specifiquely to produce correct power and energy.I know that most Wing Chun lines don't catagorize them but,IMO,doing so helps in training them and having them in our practical arsenal more than just knowing them in a theoric way.

I was taught with the statement "it is what it is."

I would ask my instructor "whats the name of that technique?"

Then he'd show me the technique and say "that's its name."

I would ask what a movement is good for and he'd say "whatever you use it for, thats what its for." and "figure it out."

He said its not the techniques but the transition from one technique to another that was most important, so the categorization is just a distraction to training rather than a benefit.

Re: Piercing Power

Originally posted by Yaksha
    the less surface area you contact, and shorter the amout of time during contact, the more the force unfolds into the opponet rather than bouncing back into your arm, and the more force delivered in that short amount of time, the more piercing power.

Think of a wild cat pouncing, a thunderbolt striking, or a wave crashing into a rock. That is the manner in which you have to move your body to strike in that way. You must be relaxed until you make contact, THEN you deliver force. Its like using a yo-yo or cracking a whip. The same kind of attitudes and reflexes involved.

Would you say that is an accurate description of piercing power?

Oh!!! Yaksha,, that’s a super bad post you put up there (a very good one)… In some words we call that Negative Space within the Steiner Point System (the body unity concept)… What we do is find and hold correct structure (that’s what ever your system may call correct)... We try not to give out a lot of movement that says intent or something that someone can pick up on your timing with… We always attack the attack by using a half step Toi Mah footwork (rat stepping),, no more then one full step before bridge contact,, because if you have to take more then one step you’ll be chasing your opponent, which means that you did not find a successful fighting line and can easily run into a hard counterattack… If you cannot find a fighting line upon bridge contact, you will have no control and chum over your opponent structure,, and if he or she is halfway good they will find a defensive position just out of shear panic… We cover a lot of ground from very little movement… The ground we cover is all within our opponent's defensive structure,, straight too the mother line or throat,, simply by attacking your opponent's attack he or she does most of the work for you,, they practically cover the long range distance… That’s when Toi Mah comes into play,, wedging or piercing in some words such as gen lik sao (tendon use)… Using defensive structure when wedging (half triangle) with good structure and a relaxed body you are piercing within your opponent's defensive structure with none of the shock clashing back on you,, that’s when the offensive structure comes into play (full triangle,, hands are now shooting out on the bridge) with proper structure cutting straight into the mother line,, with control and chum…

Hey Mike OJ. Nice too still see you around. A lot has been going on while I’ve been away, huh. Stay strong “Big Papa”...

Ali Hamad Rahim.

detroitwingchun.com
    Last edited by Ali Hamad Rahim; 02-04-2005 at 04:00 PM.

Originally posted by Yaksha
    He said its not the techniques but the transition from one technique to another that was most important, so the categorization is just a distraction to training rather than a benefit.
    I understand what you mean but let me illustrate my point on this subject of "categorisation"
    Let's take a jazz player as an example. If he wants to improvise freely,he must first learn and practice many categorised skills witch include; many types of scales,chords,arpegios,patterns,substitutions,ETC. ..He must do his "woodshedding" as it is said in the field. Then,using his knowledge he can "flow" with it in an intuitive manner and blow on a tune or theme.
    This is the same with any martial art. There are things to be learned and ingrained in the nervous system before it can be applied in a natural and flowing manner in actual combat.This is when you can forget about it and simply play as said Miles Davis before.

Originally posted by old jong
    I understand what you mean but let me illustrate my point on this subject of "categorisation"
    Let's take a jazz player as an example. If he wants to improvise freely,he must first learn and practice many categorised skills witch include; many types of scales,chords,arpegios,patterns,substitutions,ETC. ..He must do his "woodshedding" as it is said in the field. Then,using his knowledge he can "flow" with it in an intuitive manner and blow on a tune or theme.
    This is the same with any martial art. There are things to be learned and ingrained in the nervous system before it can be applied in a natural and flowing manner in actual combat.This is when you can forget about it and simply play as said Miles Davis before.
    I know that drill . .pun intended.
    PR
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    Traditional Wing Chun Academy NYC/L.A.
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Re: Re: Piercing Power

Originally posted by Ali Hamad Rahim

Hey Mike OJ. Nice too still see you around. A lot has been going on while I’ve been away, huh. Stay strong “Big Papa”...
    Ali Hamad Rahim.
    detroitwingchun.com
    Hey Ali!
    Always doing my best!...That was a nice Wing Chun post BTW!...
    Keep on with it!

Originally posted by Phil Redmond
    I know that drill . .pun intended.
    PR
    I have to admit that I had a thought about you when writing this post!...

Good post Ali.

joy

Phil-

Since the Mao revolution "Shaolin" has been largely emasculated and politicized IMO.

Even re Tibetan buddhism the PRC communist party decides on who the Panchen Lama will be.

Politics both ways- with the PRC after tourist dollars and folks going to shaolin for nostalgia and various other reasons including publicity.

I admired Moore's restraint given the silly monk's behavior.
    He aint no buddhist in my books.

joy

Originally posted by Vajramusti
    Good post Ali.

joy

Thanks Joy!!! Always a pleasure talking with you…

Ali Hamad Rahim.

detroitwingchun.com

Originally posted by old jong

You the man Mike,, you the man!!!

Ali Hamad Rahim.

detroitwingchun.com

14. Hello Members
    Here is a copy of a handout I give to my students to help understand our method of developing shooting force.
    Mark

Wing Chun
    1 & 3 inch punch training
    by Mark Rasmus

Stand in front of the wall bag in a neutral stance.
    Place your fist on the bag with the bottom three knuckles touching.
    Feel the center of gravity (COG) of the bag and the wall through
    your knuckles, especially pay attention to the footing/foundations
    of the wall. Feeling the footing/foundation of the wall is important
    as it represents the root of the structure. You are concerned with
    feeling three things at this point, 1. COG. 2. Point of contact. 3.
    Root/connection to gravity.

Slowly unfold your hand until the middle two fingers are touching
    the pad, maintain feeling of the COG and root through your fingers.

Load the first bow

From shoulder to finger, relax, sink and stretch/expand out your
    whole arm so it feels like every joint is fully open and the fascia
    is stretched out. Hang the shoulder down to ensure there is no
    floating in the shoulder. Your elbow should bend and drop down to
    allow for the extra space created in the expansion. The pressure
    through the fingers should remain less than 125 grams. The elbow
    should drop vertically, there should be a 90deg angle between the
    triangle of your arm and the ground. A feeling of roundness should
    exist in the arm from fingers to shoulder. Continue feeling the COG
    and the root through your fingers.

Load the second bow

Relax the mid point of the scapula so it pushes out as the upper
    back rounds and the chest hollows. A feeling of rising in the back
    may occur, allow it to rise due to the hollowing in the chest but
    let it settle and sink naturally with relaxed mind. You will notice
    that the rounding of the back will generate a longer bridge,
    compensate by bending the elbow a little further downwards. Continue
    feeling the COG and the root through your fingers. The bend in the
    elbow at this point is the angle of the lead guard position and
    represents the optimal angle for absorbing and delivering strikes.

Load the third and fifth bow

Relax and sink your waist and hips downwards. This will stretch the
    third bow, being the muscles of the back as well as the whole spine
    as you keep your head suspended from above. The dropping of the
    waist through relaxation will generate sinking and compression in
    the legs being the fifth bow. Relax your foot and let it become
    heavy, relax the ankle, let it become heavy, relax the calf, let it
    become heavy, relax the knee, let it become heavy, relax the upper
    leg, let it become heavy, relax and open the hip joint. Allow a
    feeling of relaxation to flow from your hip into the ground as the
    legs get compressed and the spine stretches open. Continue feeling
    the COG and the root of your target through your fingers.

Preparing the 4th bow, the hips, waist, tailbone, lower dan tien.

The 4th bow is more like a ball than a bow. It is elastic on the
    outside and hollow on the inside as it encases your COG in emptiness
    making it invisible to your training partners senses. It encompasses
    the tailbone which connects the spine to the base as well as
    controlling and amplifying the forces passing through it. The
    principles of activating the base energy center also apply but will
    be covered later in more depth. The tailbone should be tucked under
    and the lower back straightened. The anus and testicles should be
    relaxed inwards, but if this distracts you incorporate it later. The
    buttocks should be relaxed and hang comfortably.

The vertical circle

Relax from your fingers down through your body to your root so there
    is a stream of relaxation moving downwards. Sink your mind down
    through the root under the root of your target and back up through
    the wall to the bag into your fingers forming a loop. Now mentally
    allow relaxation to move through this vertical circle until it
    becomes a strong sensation of sinking in your body and you feel that
    the target has been absorbed to be an extension of yourself.

Loading the fourth bow, the controller of the force

The stretch from the hip to the fingers is released to contract back
    onto the hip. The compression in the legs is released to recoil onto
    the hip, loading the hip with incredible energy. The hips, waist and
    spine subtly spiral as the relaxed current of energy rebounds back
    up the body and out through the bridge like a jolt of lightening
    into the targets COG and disrupting its root. It should feel almost effortless but
    powerful, as if it is an energetic reaction to the stretching and
    compressing of the tendons, joints, muscles and fascia.
    As you hit the target, awareness travels with the wave of force with
    a feeling of emptiness that pervades all to fulfill the destiny of
    the punch. On impact, stick to the target and follow the force as
    you listen to the COG, root and effects of the punch.
    Remember, quality before quantity.

Working with a partner.

Face your partner, both in a neutral stance with your partner
    placing a phone book on his chest. Repeat the exercise as with the
    wall bag with a greater emphasis on feeling your partners COG and
    absorbing it into your contraction just prior to punching. The
    vertical circle between you and your partner is a crucial part of
    training and should be generated straight away. It allows you to
    absorb your partner into your field of awareness and move his energy
    field in accord with your will.

Wing Chun is a method of delivering powerful currents of
    relaxation which contain consciousness to fulfill a task. Every time
    you emit a wave of relaxation in the form of a punch you are in
    essence sending out a part of yourself.

http://au.geocities.com/markrasmus/retreat.html
    Last edited by Mark Rasmus; 02-03-2005 at 09:59 PM.

Originally posted by Simon Mc

Thanks for the drill btw. I'll look to get a medicine ball ASAP. The weird thing about Taiwan is it's not how you'd expect it to be. The electronics aren't really that much cheaper (apart from PC's) and there's hardly any MA shops. When my training partner gets back from the states I'll try a few things on him as well.

---Go to a toystore and buy the cheapest rubber basketball you can find. Then cut two crossing slits in it to make an opening just big enough to fit the tip of a funnel thru. Then use the funnel to fill the ball with clay cat litter and close off the slits with duct tape. Whoala.....an 8-10 lb. medicine ball for about $8. :-)

Keith