Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: instructors training

instructors training

Just wondered how much of the training your instructor does when he is taking a class?

Does he teach from a distance or really involved in everything from the training to the fitness??

P

they/we are involved in everything, from calesthenics to sparring. While drilling, it's hard to drill AND watch the others, so we will walk the floor during drills and technique practice. we will usually get together and drill outside of class.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

spy!

what does that mean? Spy! Is that an insult?

p

When I was going to the MMA school, our teacher would roll with us and box with us about 50-70% of the time.

Sometimes if there was an odd number of people in the class he would partner up with the odd guy. But he would also watch us and make sure we were doing it right.
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

One thing that sucks about instructing is that you never get
    as good a work out as when you wer just a student.

One thing that rocks is that you get to determine the flow of the class.
    Ignore List: lkmdfc

My teacher used to beat the **** out of me and laugh while he did it...

I loved it.
    CPA's current P4P List:
    -Bas Rutten
    -Captain Jack Sparrow
    -Cindy Lauper
    -Lester Moonvest

Originally posted by Ai Lek Ou Seun
    One thing that sucks about instructing is that you never get
    as good a work out as when you wer just a student.

One thing that rocks is that you get to determine the flow of the class.

yeah i liked being a student more, but you udnerstand the material more when you are an instructor. controlling flow is fun too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

It is a fine line an instructor has to walk wrt that. On one hand, they need to train with their students and show them how to do things properly as well as to inspire the students to train hard. On the other hand, they have to supervise and make sure that all the students are instructed properly.

I personally think that the instructor's first duty is to supervise and instruct, while training with the students is a secondary.
    cxxx[]:::::::::::>
    Behold, I see my father and mother.
    I see all my dead relatives seated.
    I see my master seated in Paradise and Paradise is beautiful and green; with him are men and boy servants.
    He calls me. Take me to him.

Thumbs up

nope it's not an insult.

but it was however a comment you might want to mull over , especially since you aren't forthcoming with any information of your own. Are you doing market research or are you just genuinely curious sorry if i sound like an arse.

Yep, you sounded like an arse!!

It was purely out of curiosity actually. I have two instructors, one who fully trains with us and one who does very little. Just seeing what other people do in their views about it!

P

well it was also partially in good fun.

anyways. my instructor/s have always been involved and always take the effort and time to instruct and demonstrate to a degree that i would consider participation. I'm quite comfortable with this. And while I'm teaching people I try as best I can to participate with them. I believe that it offers a bit more credibility to the class and trust.

Originally posted by Starchaser107
    I believe that it offers a bit more credibility to the class and trust.
    I think that's a key point.

Of the people hear that do teach, how much time, if any do you spend actually training, and not teaching?
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Well, what joedoe said is very relevant. I like it when there's an odd number of students in my classes, as it means I get to join in on the two man drills and bagwork, etc. When there's an even amount of students I end up talking more, because I see more errors, and everybody trains a bit less!

With forms, I always try to do any given form at least twice - once going through it with them to show the proper way and again watching them, to better spot any errors. And then more repeats as time allows, sometimes joining them, sometimes throwing the opposition techniques at them during the form to ensure that they are using intent and correct applications.

With sparring I always try to spar with them a bit, to feel their progress as well as see it, and to remind them how they have to go.

On top of that, I do my own practice and fitness/conditioning training in my own time and I train with my teacher purely as a struggling student at least once a week.
    Train Smart, Train Hard & Enjoy Every Minute Of It.

Kung Fu & Personal Training: ABActive.com

Well, I have experienced both ends of the spectrum. One instructor who trained with us all the time. He was a great inspiration, but didn't have the time to correct poor technique. Another instructor literally sat in a chair and counted out the repititions, and corrected us in between. Not very inspiring, but ensured that we had good technique.

When I started teaching, I tried both approaches and found that something in between was the best way to go. I tended to lean towards participation in the class because it inspired students to train harder, however I was also concious of the fact that mistakkes had to be corrected.

As I said before, it is a fine line.
    cxxx[]:::::::::::>
    Behold, I see my father and mother.
    I see all my dead relatives seated.
    I see my master seated in Paradise and Paradise is beautiful and green; with him are men and boy servants.
    He calls me. Take me to him.