Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cross Training in Jiu Jitsu =)

I think it is a good idea to learn how to groundfight. Lots of fights do end up on the ground, that is if the person wanting to go to the ground is capable of taking the other individual to the ground. Thats where all the stance work, weight distribution, and momentum training come in. But you must alwasy be prepared to fight that guy who CAN take you to the ground, and if you do, trust me you will wish you had done a little ground study. In some cases this does not mean you have to cross train from your current style, depending on your style, ask your teacher if your style will eventually cover groundwork in your training. You will be surprised when you find out that your styles previous lineage holders have indeed thought about this. Oh and if you do go to the ground and you suck at ground fighting, you dont have to bite or eyegouge, although you can, you still have several options available. Groin, throat, elbows, knees, head, remember ground fighting does not always mean grappling. Tiger jaw to throat is pretty effective. I mean who can really breath with a crushed esophagus? Anyhow thats what I think about that.
    A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

Master pain, or pain will master you.
    ~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"
    ~Gene "The Crotch Master" Ching

You know you want to click me!!

It's funny that when everyone talks about groundfighting, no one ever seems to think it's possible that THEY might be the one sitting on their ass and the other guy could still be standing trying to kick the $hit out of them. BJJ addresses that pretty well too.
    I have no idea what WD is talking about.--Royal Dragon

I kinda noticed that too WD, I dont think anyone wants to think about that. Because i mean really, how could anyone HERE be in that position...LOL.
    A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

Master pain, or pain will master you.
    ~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"
    ~Gene "The Crotch Master" Ching

You know you want to click me!!

I think the idea of crosstraining is kind of silly unless you are very well versed in one art. Or that art is very, very basic and not very diverse. Otherwise, you may end up with a mix of stuff that may not come natural. I would say someone should train in an art for a real long time until it is second nature. For some this may take their whole life but how many of us want to dedicate more than an hour or two every day to training? I understand some people are professional fighters and they need to train eight hours a day, but the rest of us are just regular people taking part in an old tradition.
    A unique snowflake

Then, we did a little takedown work and I showed him Neck Surround. The next thing I know he figures out a Neck Surround to standing Omaplata to Rolling Kneebar combo.
    Yeah. That makes sense.

BTW, Phoenix eye fist is a pretty common way to try and open somebody up in a turtle...
    "In the world of martial arts, respect is often a given. In the real world, it must be earned."

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. "--Bertrand Russell

"Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. "--Benjamin Disraeli

"A conservative government is an organised hypocrisy."--Benjamin Disraeli

I think it's an omoplata anyway. It's the same lock as getting a kimura from Scarf by trapping their leg with your knee and lifting the hips.

How do you get a kimura from scarf without giving up your back? Or does that not matter a la sakuraba
    'In the woods there is always a sound...In the city aways a reflection.'

'What about the desert?'

'You dont want to go into the desert'

- Spartan

Brazilian jiu-jitsu or Japanese jujutsu?
    Brazilian

I think the idea of crosstraining is kind of silly unless you are very well versed in one art
    I've learned just about every stike a person can do and it is getting boring. Jiu Jitsu is like an all new set of toys for me =).

Does anyone else think it is strange how someone who never practices defense from a take down, states that he can not be taken down?
    Hey, to each their own. I just like rolling too. Don't recommend it to anyone who isn't interested in it.
    But I am willing to try to come up with a defense against someone licking on me How effective that setup up is depends entirely on how cute she is
    VOTE FOR PEDRO '08

Ever notice how virtually everyone agrees that 95% of all traditional schools are crap, but NOBODY ever admits to being in that 5%? Don't judge... your skill may suck also...
    Quote from SevenStar

Just call me the Shaolin Do Wet Blanket. Gene Ching

Down boy!

Anywhoo, I did say that was in high school. fishhooking worked well in the kind of cat fights I got into, 'cause all you had to do was mess up the other chick's make-up and she would start worrying about whether she still looked good, and it bacame easy to win or get away at that point. Touch the hair and they'd beat you donw, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    you're kidding? i would love to drink that beer just BECAUSE it's in a dead animal...i may even pick up the next dead squirrel i see and stuff a budweiser in it

My primary reason for training in jiu jitsu is to deal with wrestlers. Many TMAs out there forget that good wrestlers far outnumber good MAs. The simple fact is that a good wrestler is very good at taking someone down and many of them are very strong. If you don't know how to stop a takedown and if you don't know what to do if you do get taken down, your chances of surviving the fight are dismal. BJJ is great for "antiwrestling"because it teaches you to fight on your back, which is where a wrestler wants to put you. It is also great for a one on one fight where you do not really want to hurt someone.

BJJ is not the only art I have picked up things from. I've learned things from wrestlers, tae kwon do fighters, muay thai etc... Kung Fu is my base, my center, and I am constantly finding ways to improve my chosen system.

Originally posted by Nick Forrer
    How do you get a kimura from scarf without giving up your back? Or does that not matter a la sakuraba
    Take the scarf position w/ your left leg based out. Pull up on his right shoulder and get your right thigh under his shoulder. Place his right hand in the crook of your right leg. Make sure you keep your head down and to his left side so he doesn't hook your head with his leg. This is also going to keep your weight on his chest. Just lift up with your hips for the kimura. You're not using your arm to get the sub at all, just trap his arm with your leg and lift your hips.

*edit- be real careful with this lock. It puts the pressure on very quickly. A lot of times, the other guy will tap before yoy even get his hand trapped under your leg. The trick is to get you leg under his shoulder from scarf.
    Last edited by Water Dragon; 02-09-2005 at 07:08 AM.

Originally posted by Water Dragon
    Take the scarf position w/ your left leg based out. Pull up on his right shoulder and get your right thigh under his shoulder. Place his right hand in the crook of your right leg. Make sure you keep your head down and to his left side so he doesn't hook your head with his leg. This is also going to keep your weight on his chest. Just lift up with your hips for the kimura. You're not using your arm to get the sub at all, just trap his arm with your leg and lift your hips.

*edit- be real careful with this lock. It puts the pressure on very quickly. A lot of times, the other guy will tap before yoy even get his hand trapped under your leg. The trick is to get you leg under his shoulder from scarf.
    That's a keylock/Americana, not a kimura.
    "hey pal, you wanna do the dance of destruction with the belle of the ball, just say the word." -apoweyn

Originally posted by FatherDog
    That's a keylock/Americana, not a kimura.
    Ooops, lol