Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Mysterious Lok Yiu

Hou Hou, Peterson sinsong... you are a very fortunate man indeed.

Darren Jew

Thanks for sharing the personal anecdote, David. Very enjoyable.

Regards,
    - kj
    "It's all related." - me

Thumbs up

Same here, David.

Nice story.

Now I've got a question for you...have you ever heard of another one of Yip Man's students, named Ug Chan ?

Moy Yat once showed me a glossy black-and-white photo of Ug Chan taken at Yip Man's funeral.

Now get this...according to Moy Yat, Ug Chan was:

1) very reclusive and mysterious...

2) the man who's instuction from Yip Man was - and I am quoting Moy Yat verbatim now..."the most complete"...because - according to Moy Yat - Ug Chan once lived with Yip Man...and...

3) Ug Chan was Duncan Leung's real sifu - not Yip Man.

Ever heard of him?
    Last edited by Ultimatewingchun; 02-16-2005 at 09:48 PM.

Originally posted by Ultimatewingchun
    Same here, David.

Nice story.

Now I've got a question for you...have you ever heard of another one of Yip Man's students, named Ug Chan ?

Moy Yat once showed me a glossy black-and-white photo of Ug Chan taken at Yip Man's funeral.

Now get this...according to Moy Yat, Ug Chan was:

1) very reclusive and mysterious...

2) the man who's instuction from Yip Man was - and I am quoting Moy Yat verbatim now..."the most complete"...because - according to Moy Yat - Ug Chan once lived with Yip Man...and...

3) Ug Chan was Duncan Leung's real sifu - not Yip Man.

Ever heard of him?
    His name is Ng Chan, not Ug Chan. Recommended by a friend, my dad learned from him after training with Sifu Tsui Sheung Tin. Eventually, my dad has become good friends with Sifu Ng, and they both drink a lot. According to my dad, he is very good, both hands and kicks. I don't want to start a controversy, but even his Si-hing Bo Kin Wah (from Leung Sheung lineage) had to learn MYJ from Sifu Ng Chan.

Sifu Ng Chan was a board member of VTAA briefly during the Tang Sang's days. But in the past decades, he was not involved in any Wing Chun politics.

As for Ng Chan was Duncan Leung's real sifu, I cannot confirmed that.

Thanks for the info, Muteki.

Ng Chan...Had a feeling I was spelling the name wrong.

Not surprised about others having to go to him for instruction - considering the way Moy Yat once talked about him.

You're welcome!

What did Sifu Moy Yat say about Sifu Ng Chan? My dad mentioned about Sifu Ng Chan knowing Moy Yat quite well.

I wish I have a chance to meet with Sifu Ng Chan during my days in Hong Kong when I was a kid. Unfortunately, I was not interested in Kung Fu since my dad taught me only SLT for many years before I learn CK and BJ, and find some good use of Wing Chun in the Canadian school yard.

Muteki:

What I wrote on my first post, quoting Moy Yat, was all I ever recall him saying about Ng Chan.

Just that one time.

But Moy Yat was so emphatic about it that I never forgot it.

He spoke of Ng Chan with great respect in his voice.

I do not want to tell war stories which arent my own or fuel any trouble between Moy Yat's klan. This is not about right or wrong but recalling history. First I would like to say that I didnt know Sifu Moy Yat and this "history" comes from Duncan Leung and not me.

I am speaking now because I have a great respect for Sibak Duncan Leung and he has helped me alot in my own understanding and application of Wing Chun. Whether or not people believe isnt important to me, but at least someone has added something in the case for Sibak Duncan Leung.

Back in the early 70s, sifu Moy Yat was the only wing chun master claiming to be a direct disciple of Yip Man in NYC and openly wrote in the Chinese newspaper that anyone else who is teaching Wing Chun is a fraud and said he was the sole authority in NYC. Well Duncan Leung was teaching at the time and didnt like what he read so he went to discuss this matter with Moy Yat. After their discussion was over, there was no trouble or doubt about sifu Duncan Leung's abilities. I believe Sifu Redmond can confirm this story. I personally have no reason to believe Sibak Duncan Leung lied about who he studied under.

This is what Sibak wrote to me. He is currently in China teaching WC to poor kids funded and supported by Chinese government.

"Dear Bao,

In fact, the first day I showed up at Yip Man's studio with Bruce Lee, Yip
    Man told Ng Chan to work with me, and I mentioned this one time to Moy Yat. Ng Chan who was a senior student was always around, when I was studying, but I never learned from him after that first day. Leung Sheung was much older and had already left the school at this time. For the record, I learned Wing Chun from Yip Man, as some of the others still around like Hawkins Cheung and Tsui Sheng Tin can verify. While Yip Man's son, Yip Chun, had not yet joined his father in Hong Kong, still I am sure he is aware of my relationship with his father. But who cares? I don't make my living
    teaching Wing Chun. I don't need a pedigree like a show dog. My Wing Chun
    is my Wing Chun. I'm content for it to stand for itself.

Sifu Duncan Leung"
    Last edited by FooFighter; 02-24-2005 at 01:49 PM.
    Bao Tran, Certified CST Coach
    www.cstwarrior.typepad.com
    Your Success is our Success

Quote Originally Posted by FooFighter
    I do not want to tell war stories which arent my own or fuel any trouble between Moy Yat's klan. This is not about right or wrong but recalling history. First I would like to say that I didnt know Sifu Moy Yat and this "history" comes from Duncan Leung and not me.

I am speaking now because I have a great respect for Sibak Duncan Leung and it has helped me alot in my own understanding and application of Wing Chun. Whether or not people believe isnt important to me, but at least someone has added something in the case for Sibak Duncan Leung.

Back in the early 70s, sifu Moy Yat was the only wing chun master claiming to be a direct disciple of Yip Man in NYC and openly wrote in the Chinese newspaper that anyone else who is teaching Wing Chun is a fraud and said he was the sole authority in NYC. Well Duncan Leung was teaching at the time and didnt like what he read so he went to discuss this matter with Moy Yat. After their discussion was over, there was no trouble or doubt about sifu Duncan Leung's abilities. I believe Sifu Redmond can confirm this story. I personally have no reason to believe Sibak Duncan Leung lied about who he studied under.

I cannot see how your post in any way could "fuel any trouble". If anything, that would be Victor's fault for saying Moy Yat said "Ug Chan was Duncan Leung's real sifu - not Yip Man."

Before Moy Yat came to the U.S.A., no one made mention to him of Duncan Leung in Hong Kong. However, there were perhaps a score of people using the "Bruce Lee" - "Wing Chun" connection and claiming they were teaching "Wing Chun" in New York City at the time Moy Yat wrote the article in his recurring column for a local paper. (As recently as 1989, I knew personally of 3 "Wing Chun Posers" still clinging to that, along with what grew to more than a dozen legitimate Sifus.) When Duncan Leung walked through the door of Moy Yat's school was the first time they met.

By the way, Duncan Leung was the not only one to confront Moy Yat over this particular article. (He once had someone upset at him over another article about Mother's Day, but that's another story. ) However, of the people who chose to confront him, Duncan Leung was the only one who even made a legitimate claim of actually training at Yip Man's school. Since Moy Yat had never heard of Duncan Leung before and there were so many Wing Chun Posers floating around in New York already (I'm sure Duncan Leung had his own way of "outing" them ), a misunderstanding was inevitable. Considering, at one time, the two Sifus subsequently arranged it so their students could work out with one another, it most likely was the only real and brief point of contention between the two.

Moy Yat always tried to instill in people the good manner of acknowledging who helped you in your training along the way and the classmates who came before you. The first person who gives you the very first lessons at the school you've chosen to train at, whom Moy Yat used to call the one who opens up your KungFu, always held prominence. What Victor recalls from long ago that Moy Yat may have mentioned is actually pretty close to this, now that I think about it.
    Last edited by Tom Kagan; 02-24-2005 at 12:10 PM.
    When you control the hands and feet, there are no secrets.
    http://www.Moyyat.com

Tom,

Thanks your insight and account on this matter. I am glad you were not offended my my message. I have been reading many the interesting posts by the authors here in the shadows without adding my two cents and promised Victor and others not to join their discourse. However this time I choose to post this message because I think it is important to keep things kosher. Much success and strength in your practice.

Sincerely,
    Bao
    Last edited by FooFighter; 02-24-2005 at 03:37 PM.
    Bao Tran, Certified CST Coach
    www.cstwarrior.typepad.com
    Your Success is our Success

Quote Originally Posted by Miles Teg
    The `Who were YMs 4 students thread got me interested....
    Who is this Lok Yiu guy? All I know is that he was one of YMs first students, he`s dubbed king of the pole and thats all.

I heard he was put in a wheel chair and therefore couldnt teach W.C any more but Urban Tea says that he often goes to watch his son teach in HK.

So could urban Tea or anyone tell me:
    1. What foot work he uses
    2. Whether he uses forward pressure
    3. The structure of his/sons classes are
    4. What his focus is in WC (I believe every sifu/lineage has a different focus)
    5. ...and anything else that is unique or different about him or his W.C
    6. Any stories (based on reality or not)

If anyone could answer any of those questions I would be very happy.

PS Urban Tea: Have you seen their SNT how is it different from TST`s SNT?
    Miles LokY. was Sifu Lams first wing chun teacher , he trained there for a few years i will ask him , see if i can answer your questions
    If the truth hurts , then you will feel the pain

Do not follow me, because if you do, you will lose both me and yourself....but if you follow yourself, you will find both me and yourself

You sound rather pompous Ernie! -- by Yung Chun
    http://wslglvt.com

Tom, Foo Fighter (Tran):

It's quite possible that everything that Duncan Leung told Tran is true.
    I only related what Moy Yat once said about Ng Chan and Duncan.

Moy Yat could have been just plain wrong.

But the fact that Duncan does acknowledge that Ug Chan "opened-his-fist"...as Moy Yat liked to put it - does suggest that there was a connection there that Moy Yat may not have entirely understood.

That would be cool Ernie. Sifu Lam seems like he has had a lot of exposure.

Quote Originally Posted by Miles Teg
    That would be cool Ernie. Sifu Lam seems like he has had a lot of exposure.
    Sifu Lam has been around just found out he even played a little with Yip Man !
    an he got to meet bruce ,
    he was like no big deal just regular guys !

i asked him about LY, and he didn't have alot to say [ Gary cares little for history or stories he really only cares if it works ! ]
    so email me and i'll give you the scoop , personal conversations best left off public forums
    If the truth hurts , then you will feel the pain

Do not follow me, because if you do, you will lose both me and yourself....but if you follow yourself, you will find both me and yourself

You sound rather pompous Ernie! -- by Yung Chun
    http://wslglvt.com