Thread: Praying Mantis and Nunchaku

Question Praying Mantis and Nunchaku

Hi all,

Nunchaku is it a Praying Mantis weapon? My question is because some of brazilian praying mantis people (Mei Hua lineage) teaches this weapon and states it as a Praying Mantis one.

Regards,

黎達沖巴西北螳螂武術學院
    Samuel Mendonça - Chief Instructor
    Brendan Lai Gungfu Institute - Brazil
    www.brendanlai.com

Shuang Jie Gun

Interesting, are there more info about this Meihwa Nunchaku form? I am curious as to which lineage and who is the teacher? Also, are there mantis footwork and/or other Tanglang markers noticable?

There is a "Nunchaku" form in CCK TCPM. The weapon is commonly known as Shuang Jie Gun but traditionally is called Huai Zhang (sp ?) . It is make of a wooden handle side and linked with a metal hitting side. It is considered the first step toward mastering flexible weaponry.

I don't think Classical Tanglang has this weapon. I would venture to say this weapon could be added to some Tanglang lineages after 1900s at the earliest.

Mantis108
    Contraria Sunt Complementa

對敵交手歌訣

凡立勢不可站定。凡交手須是要走。千着萬着﹐走為上着﹐進為高着﹐閃賺騰挪為
    妙着。

CCK TCPM in Yellowknife

TJPM Forum

Is it safe to assume that this weapon is considerably different than the Two Section Staff (AKA Large sweeper)?
    Jake
    "Gravity doesn't lie, and the ground never misses."
    Jake Burroughs
    Three Harmonies Chinese Martial Arts Center
    Seattle, WA.
    www.threeharmonies.com
    three_harmonies@hotmail.com
    www.threeharmonies.blogspot.com

Thumbs up Lineage

Hi mantis108,

Instructor in Brazil about this lineage is Lee, Lung-Chi who teaches Eagle Claw, Praying Mantis, but he is also karate, tae kwon do instructor. His Praying Mantis came from Chang, Fu Chen lineage, Mei Hua Tang Lang Quan.

In the form has no mantis footwork or any mantis trademark.

Hi Three Harmonies,

It is not two section staff (big side and small side). It is a Bruce Lee move weapon of Enter the Dragon. In Brazil people say "nunchaku"...

Thanks,
    黎達沖巴西北螳螂武術學院
    Samuel Mendonça - Chief Instructor
    Brendan Lai Gungfu Institute - Brazil
    www.brendanlai.com

Hi Brazil Mantis,

Thanks for the info. I am not familar with that lineage. If I am hearing you correctly, the form is more or less stationary? To me that does raise some red flags ... Wish there is a visual.

Warm regards

Mantis108
    Contraria Sunt Complementa

對敵交手歌訣

凡立勢不可站定。凡交手須是要走。千着萬着﹐走為上着﹐進為高着﹐閃賺騰挪為
    妙着。

CCK TCPM in Yellowknife

TJPM Forum

There is a flexible weapon called a sui so gee (sp?) small sweeper. Similar to the di so gee - large sweeper. It is two pieces of wood chained together like the nunchaku. One is longer than the other. The long end is is between 2 1/2 to 3 feet long and the short end is around 15 to 18 inches in length. I have heard of it being used with the sweeper in one hand and a broad sword in the other. Very difficult combination.

I dont know about "praying mantis weapons". Seems like the masters adopted the weapons that they preferred. They probably just adapted the mantis foot work to the weapons formes they liked. There does seem to be common forms amoung mantis systems such as Yin ching broad sword and praying mantis staff.

Just observations. I cant read or speak chinese so am very limited in my research capabilities.

I will leave that to 108.

I dont believe there is a nunchaku in Lee Kam Wing's 7 Star Mantis.

Sounds like Sayloc is correct. Could your sifu have brought this over from his Karate and and created a Mantis form around the weapon ???

Just my thoughts.

Cheers

JM

Funny we have a nunchaku form also????

Our style is 7* WHF Clan.

We call it the small sweeper, both sides are wood held together with a small rope.

The form is a moving form... that has alot of quick stepping patterns and quick attacks using the small sweeper... kind of like the short stick form.

One of my brothers was learning this from Sifu and he brought in a standard foam
    nunchaku, had a hard time learning the form beacuse the chain caused too much movement when doing the motions...compared to Sifu's, that had the rope as the link, the chain just sent the ends everywhere but where it needed to go.
    Real Masters dont post on Forums.

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteMonkey
    Funny we have a nunchaku form also????

Our style is 7* WHF Clan.

We call it the small sweeper, both sides are wood held together with a small rope.

<snip>.

Interesting! If you could ask your instructor if he knows when it was added to the WHF curriculum it would be great! (I have often wondered how many groups use this simple weapon.....it has always seemed that more wold have.)

I don't know if I have ever asked you before, but under whom do you study?

Thanks for posting!
    ~BTL
    How many identities does a Troll need?
    Didn't think I knew did you??
    I know a lot of things.
    You won't like me in person either.
    Confused?? Don't be.
    LOL!