Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Wing chun side kick vs. the traditional CMA side kick

Quote Originally Posted by Edmund
    You stated in your original post that the wing chun side kicks you learned from the various lineages are brought up straight from the ground to the target, with little to none of the traditional chambering of the leg.

OOHHH....well just as OJ stated, most lineages of wc kick without chambering the knee, albeit some do as I just mentioned, however the kick seems to always (regardless of lineage) come out kind of in a quasi half side - half front kick. (from what I've done and seen) The other thing is the placement of the supporting foot, it's almost never pointing back (which is the proper method to maintain balance with a full on side kick) Now if one is bridging, that's understandable...because you're using his two legs and your one for support while kicking.

The other kick I was talking about was something you would see in TKD or Sanshou, the more sidelong side kick from other arts. I'm comparing those two.
    "I don't know if anyone is known with the art of "sitting on your couch" here, but in my eyes it is also to be a martial art.

It is the art of avoiding dangerous situations. It helps you to avoid a dangerous situation by not actually being there. So lets say there is a dangerous situation going on somewhere other than your couch. You are safely seated on your couch so you have in a nutshell "difused" the situation."

You did not ridiculised me but you brought this "hopping on one leg" example when in fact you knew exactly what I was talking about.I'm sure you know very well how mainstream Wing Chun lines do things.
    Jeez, and I thought you might have been complaining about "why are there not front and side punches then?"

I stand by what I said. When not kicking, the leg is used to support your weight, and IMO not in the optimal position to deliver a kick - in TWC, raising the knee first allows the kick to be delivered direct to the target with the greatest efficiency. The legs have to do double duty. With hands, they can be in the position ready to strike or defend.

BTW, TWC is a mainstream Wing Chun line.
    Last edited by anerlich; 02-25-2005 at 10:22 PM.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

Quote Originally Posted by anerlich

BTW, TWC is a mainstream Wing Chun line.
    I stand modified!

Quote Originally Posted by Vankuen
    OOHHH....well just as OJ stated, most lineages of wc kick without chambering the knee, albeit some do as I just mentioned, however the kick seems to always (regardless of lineage) come out kind of in a quasi half side - half front kick. (from what I've done and seen) The other thing is the placement of the supporting foot, it's almost never pointing back (which is the proper method to maintain balance with a full on side kick) Now if one is bridging, that's understandable...because you're using his two legs and your one for support while kicking.

The other kick I was talking about was something you would see in TKD or Sanshou, the more sidelong side kick from other arts. I'm comparing those two.
    I understand that you're making a comparison. I'm just not agreeing that the quasi-half-front kick is indicative of what "mainstream" WC lineages do since there's a fair amount of variety within WC.

Currently it seems like an accusation of non-conformity to the mainstream is a type of insult. If Andrew learnt a WC sidekick a particular way that's different, so what? It's got nothing to do with switching to karate or TKD strategy or whatever other snide remark.

I understand that you're making a comparison. I'm just not agreeing that the quasi-half-front kick is indicative of what "mainstream" WC lineages do since there's a fair amount of variety within WC.

Currently it seems like an accusation of non-conformity to the mainstream is a type of insult. If Andrew learnt a WC sidekick a particular way that's different, so what? It's got nothing to do with switching to karate or TKD strategy or whatever other snide remark.
    There are no insults! Just pointing out differences.What is wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by old jong
    There are no insults! Just pointing out differences.What is wrong?
    It's the passive aggressive attitude that "it's not Wing Chun but it's OK for others who are not as dedicated as my humble self".

"Just a question: Does putting a karate or muay thai kick in Wing Chun make those kicks Wing Chun kicks? "

"These days,some Wing Chun lines may contain more stuff from other styles than original Wing Chun."

"I take the risk of not being a boxer,muay thai or BJJ or whatever to put all my efforts on Wing Chun."

If you could justify why you would do a quasi half side - half front kick without the snobby attitude that'd be great.

It's the passive aggressive attitude that "it's not Wing Chun but it's OK for others who are not as dedicated as my humble self".

"Just a question: Does putting a karate or muay thai kick in Wing Chun make those kicks Wing Chun kicks? "

"These days,some Wing Chun lines may contain more stuff from other styles than original Wing Chun."

"I take the risk of not being a boxer,muay thai or BJJ or whatever to put all my efforts on Wing Chun."

If you could justify why you would do a quasi half side - half front kick without the snobby attitude that'd be great.
    I'm really too snob to give you an answer.