Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: a satisfactory power generation

Deepends on position(s) and timing.
    joy

if You have ideas on the topic, post it.

----I did!

It would be appreciate if you drop making any judgement on me or making guess work about me here which has nothing todo with the topic of discussion.

----But it did have to do with the topic of discussion!

Keith

Hendrik,

Fighting is an intense physical activity, so one's physical condition will be a significant factor.

With regard to WCK "power", in my view and experience it is mechanic-driven rather than attribute-driven (like hitting a golf ball depends more on the level of the mechanics of our swing rather than how much we can bench press) so smaller or weaker folks can develop significant levels of power. Being able to apply that mechanics in fighting (WCK) is an intense physical activity, so one's physical condition will be a significant factor. Now if they just stand there, don't try to hit me, and let me hit them . . . .

[QUOTE=t_niehoff]Hendrik,

With regard to WCK "power", in my view and experience it is mechanic-driven rather than attribute-driven (like hitting a golf ball depends more on the level of the mechanics of our swing rather than how much we can bench press) so smaller or weaker folks can develop significant levels of power. QUOTE]

----See Hendrik! That's exactly what I was saying when I stated that WCK was a very "technical" system that develops technique, timing, and reflexes that can win out over straight brawn and muscle in many instances.

Keith

A few thoughts from a nobody

It's all in the goals of what you want from martial arts.

When I started wing chun for the first time in 1986-87 at age 18-19 I took a year's worth of private lessons but college, work (2 jobs), and life took over. I didn't have the drive to prioritize wing chun. I had youth, adrenalin, the marine corps, and other things pumping up my ego. I didn't get into fights so I didn't care. But it was always a dream to learn a martial art.

Starting in April 2000 I started again but now I had a job, family, and more responsibilities. But I had time and desire to pursue the dream. I just quit my 2nd job and I had extra time. I quickly realized that at age 33 that I already was too old for anything quite serious and competitive. So I had to come up with reasons and thoughts for wing chun that fit me and my limitiations (self-imposed & otherwise).

Here are a few in no particular order:

1. It's a dream to know how to do a martial art.

2. It's a hobby to develop, learn, challenge, and enjoy like any other hobby.

3. Like any hobby - hobbies have a practical use, a niche to be filled in life, a skill that has some practicality to be used - whether physical, social, or intellectual. Wing chun has all three for me.

4. I can't speak for no other school or lineage but as far as my own - wing chun has given me the confidence of being to greatly increase my chances to physically survive and operate in an emergency life-threatening situation (w/o weapons) - at least for 5-10 seconds to find an out or escape.

5. It has given me a respect and strategy to deal with ego-filled atmospheres where I have come to the conclusion: the strong may survive but the wise & smart prosper and thrive.

6. It has given me different strategies for dealing with inner-city high school kids (See my rants and raves in the thread Put Up or Shut Up).

7. I never was very athletic or tough. Wing chun is almost tailor made to conserve the body and strength. It's great for an old man - or woman.

8. There is no rush when you get older. Teach the old man slowly. It's not a waste of time. You teaching someone difficult to teach will make you a better teacher and student of wing chun. It will force you to think of solutions other than strength, speed, and stamina.

9. I have always said and believed that if you want to go into competitions of the UFC kind then wing chun will not serve you well. If you're a bouncer and dealing with drunks and hotheads and have to protect door ways or remove human trash, then wing chun will serve you greatly. A former classmate of mine who's a bouncer on the side says he just smiles everytime he huen saos and chops to the neck like an inside kwan sao. The recipient just becomes limp and problem solved.

10. Previously, it was said that Yip Man was going strong at the end of his life. Not physically, I say, but beautiful conservation-minded wing chun is what mad Yip Man strong.

11. Speed is fantastic. Supposedly, the speed of light is fastest. Only one thing is faster than the speed of light, according to Einstein, and that is a geometric construct. Imagine a cosmic pair of scissors. When closing, the point of intersection can travel faster than the speed of light. Wing chun attempts to temper the speed of an opponent with geometric constructs and angles. Subtle coverage and deflection is great in wing chun. Functional strength, in wing chun, is achieved by bone power and leverage. When a person steps into your bone structure you don't even feel the tap of your fist/palm on his chin. Yet, they don't know what him them - they fly off the ground, knocked back 10-15 feet. That's superior wing chun. And you're more surprised at the results because you put no effort into it. But the effort of bone alignment yields maxmimun re****s. In my view wing chun trains for that.

12. The world isn't all about physical strength and young vs. old. At least not in my world. All the gangs believe that but they eventually get old, if lucky, and see it differently. The world is mixed - young and old. After the old person is trained a bit put him up against a young guy with little or no training. It will benefit them both. The old guy feels a sense of control and accomplishment and doesn't have the ego to feel the need to beat up the kid. The kid learns there is more to youth and strength and can deal with and learns patience. That is well-rounded training and education.

13. Here's a lesson for the young: I'm a couch potato. I rarely work out - except for eating. I'm 6' and 250 pounds of soft flesh and blubber. But when I train a little wing chun I love to play with younger people - 18-25 that smoke cigarettes. I usually don't become agressive. I just play defense - deflect, move, rotate - but I try to keep arm contact at all times. They are allowed to use strength and speed. After 5-10 minutes they are on the floor gasping for breath and I just break a sweat. They do not have the lung capacity and they're moves are inefficient. Too much energy for too little results. I don't mind if I get whacked because I see that as my fault for not having a good defense. If the other person is smart they realize that it's time to learn a more efficient way.

14. There is more to life than wing chun, but wing chun will bring more to your life.

See ya!

AndrewP

I quickly realized that at age 33 that I already was too old for anything quite serious and competitive.
    I'm 50, and will be competing in BJJ this year, hopefully at seniors national level. One of my sidais won a master's world championship on Brazil last year, and she's over 35. To get my BB by age 60, I'm going to have to be VERY serious. Actually to get even purple belt I'll need to be heavily committed.

I started WC at 35 (though I'd done other CMA since 22), and have been training seriously ever since.

I live a very busy, rich and rewarding life outside MA also.

I never was very athletic or tough. Wing chun is almost tailor made to conserve the body and strength. It's great for an old man - or woman.
    Nor was I, though I'm fitter and tougher at 50 that I was at 20. Many MA fit those requirements.
    Last edited by anerlich; 03-06-2005 at 02:32 PM.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

Only one thing is faster than the speed of light, according to Einstein, and that is a geometric construct. Imagine a cosmic pair of scissors. When closing, the point of intersection can travel faster than the speed of light.
    The Superluminal Scissors do not actually work. Check out the Relativity and Faster Than Light FAQs that a Google search will find. It's not the point of blade intersection that "theoretically" travels FTL, but the points of the blades. The intersection is stationary. However closing a pair of cosmic scissors with blades a light year long Will NOT result in the tips of the blades closing FTL, because this would require a level of physical rigidity far beyond that belonging to any actual or theoretical material, and for other reasons which I can't remember which are in the FAQ.

There are some phenomena where relative velocities can be FTL, expiained in the FAQ. But none of these have any real application for travel or communication. Or Wing Chun, for that matter.

Argue with the FAQ writers and not me.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti

Anerlich:

Maybe I should have said:

I quickly realized that at age 33 that I already was too old for anything UNLESS I BECAME quite serious and competitive.

I should have also said that's the way I feel.

As for cosmic scissors, it was just a good analogy - it seemed kool, I thought.

Happy competitions! I respect you a lot for it. I don't have that desire. I prefer the TV.

See ya!

AndrewP
    Last edited by AndrewP; 03-06-2005 at 04:13 PM.

Andrew P:

No sweat, I make no claims to perfect mental health in following my aspirations. My wife questions my sanity regularly. Nothing wrong with your take on it.

FWIW and anyone is interested, here's a link to a "Superluminal Scissors" article:

http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physic.../scissors.html

Andrew P:

No sweat, I make no claims to perfect mental health in following my aspirations. My wife questions my sanity regularly. Nothing wrong with your take on it.

FWIW and anyone is interested, here's a link to a "Superluminal Scissors" article:

http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physic.../scissors.html

And actually, I misread your post: the join of the scissor blades doesn't move, but the blade's intersection, the point where they meet on closing, is what the paradox says should move FTL, though special relativity explains why it won't, per the article above.

Anerlich:

My wife thought I was totally insane when I was sound asleep and doing the first part of first form while snoring.

Now, when she starts pulling the covers I stop her with a lan sao or a gan sao or a chop to the covers. She says I am using force. She can't budge the covers. I have no memories of these things happening.

So, you and I share the WC virus. Have fun.

AndrewP

my teacher is weaker than me and has a bad back that is so painful that he can not even lift mildly heavy things. He's almost double my age. However, he can still always get a very sharp edge on me or anyone I know using his wing chun against any technique so quickly you barely have time to blink your eyes twice. He can't hit as hard as he used to before the back trouble, but he can still one-inch punch hard enough to floor you through a phone book or two and you can feel the force exit through the other side of your body.

So I don't know about all this talk about wing chun only being good for the strong and able-bodied is about.

It seems that the more relaxed you can become the split second before you hit, the more power you generate when the force is switched on at the impact.

As far as age degenerates a person's body, that is not necessarily true except in extreme instances. Inaction deteriorates the body. I know someone over 90 years old who has as much vigour as a typical 70 year old. Farmers and other people who constantly do safe, yet strenuous work seem to live longer and stay in better shape than everyone else. Your body has an upkeep cost and in the process of becoming a "mature responsible adult" most people seem to shun doing the things necessary to upkeep their bodies and its no suprise that they wither quickly. An unused body or mind can atrophy with tremendous speed once it gets into the habit of not being used.
    Last edited by Yaksha; 03-07-2005 at 01:27 AM.

I do not know of any sources of power that are mightier than simple words outpouring from desperate men with desperate needs.

"In response to Knox's prayers, Mary Queen of Scots is reputed to have said: "I fear the prayers of John Knox more than all the assembled armies of Europe." In response to the rising resistance of the Scottish Reformers, Mary fled Scotland and was later put to death by a court of English who had accused her of plotting to assassinate Elizabeth I. Knox was survived by the Scottish Covenanters, who drew up a compact in 1638 asserting their right, under God, to national sovereignty. "

I do not know of any sources of power that are mightier than simple words outpouring from desperate men with desperate needs.------

determination goes no where without believe there is a solution .

believe goes no where without awareness.

awareness goes no where with those rigidly stuck in scientific and physics explaination without knowing scientific and physics are just explaination and model for what is very clearly known.

and known always preceed scientific and physics model before explaination and modeling.

there are a different between existence which not being model yet or science not be able to model and what is not exist.

It's humbling act to admit that one does not always have an answer or explanation for a lot of things. =)