Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A Novice's Kung Fu Blog

Me too, you can really build up quite some speed running through them and they look pretty impressive especially when there's a few stance shanges in there too.

The Whirlwind punch is a little like an overhead chopping punch but instead of coming straight down it comes down at about 45 degrees. It could be directed at the temple, kneck or collarbone. Once the first has struck it is immediatly followed by another from the opposite arm. This set of two strikes continues for 3, 5, or 7 times at quite a speed. It also looks like your doing a windmill impression with both arms. It looks as though it could be quite devasting if your opponent can't block/evade quik enough. I'll have to put it into practice the next time I spar.

Ahhh, we call these hammer fists. You can hit with your fist or your forearm. I've used these in sparring and they are very powerful. They are also excellent at drawing your opponent's attention up high at your fists while you are attacking low with a kick to the knee, groin or mid section.
    Check out my wooden dummy website: http://www.woodendummyco.com/

We also use the hammerfist, its used extensivly in Chap Choy - Thrust Hammer Boxing and later in Dai Fan Chie. I was thinking about this last night, I wonder if the act of performing multiple hammerfist strikes in succession is coined "whirlwind" rather than just a single or double strike. The form also changes direction, and techniques are performed to all 4 compass points, this could also be classed as "whirlwind" when the techniques are done in quick succession. Hmm.... Ill speak to my Sifu and get him to clarify this.

I had Monday off as a rest day as the old bod decided it didnt want to do any more yesterday.

Today we where back on track and feeling good.

Warm up
    Rotations of all circular joints
    5 mins on bike
    Dynamic Stretching
    Static Stretching

Workout
    15 mins HIIT on the bike
    Forms + Tam Toy's

Cool Down
    Static Stretching
    Dynamic Stretching

Work out felt good and now I'm wide awake.

Cheers

JM

Changed things a bit today, thought I'd do some running instead of the bike.

Warmup - 30mins
    Joint Rotations
    5 mins bike
    Static Stretch
    Dynamic Stretch

Workout
    25 Minutes Run

Cool Down
    20 Minutes Stretching

Enjoyed the run but could tell I hadnt run in a while.

Had a good class last night

Warmed up and ent through basics.
    Good session on partner Au Lau Choi , shoulders ached for rest of night
    Did losts of stance training which burned my thighs nicely
    Last half of lesson was dedicated to forms training.
    Learnt a load more moves for my new form Dai Fan Chie

Chief - spoke to my Sifu regarding the hammerfis strikes and its the technique of striking with multiple circular hammerfist strikes thats called "whirlwind". This is what the form is named after.

My Sunday night class is moving to a Monday night for the foreseeable future so I'll post a new schedule later. Also I'm going to try and add something extra every week to my workout so I can work myself that little bit harder every week. Ive got some dumbells somewhere in the garage so i'm going to dig those out as well and work out a routine for using these.

Thats all for now

Cheers