Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: No Training Better than Crap Training?

I may have found one!

Hey people,

Thanks for all your replies.

That class was fun and I did enjoy it. But I have to ask myself why I am doing it.

And really the main reason is self defence. I don't want to be an ultimate fighter, I just want to be able to give someone a real hard time if they think they can cause me damage for no apparent reason. (and I want fun to obviously)

Good news is I have just had a long chat with a Wing chun instructor I was trying to get hold of. It sounds like what he is offering is just what I am after. He is affilated with http://www.wingchun.org.uk/home.htm

So I think he is the real deal.

I am going to check out a class next wednesday. So I shall let you know how it goes!

I think this thread may have a happy ending!

Cheers Guys

Quote Originally Posted by red5angel
    how does one determine whether his system is good or not?
    You can basically determine whether a system is good if red5angel does NOT train it.
    Your intelligence is surpassed only by your ignorance.

You are more likely to fall down the stairs and break your neck if you live in a house with stairs. You are more likely to be in a car accident if you drive to work. You are more likely to be kicked in the nuts or punched in the nose if you practicing the martial arts. - Judge Pen

william, if you take up wingchun, don't tell anyone....ever. Trust me.

Ewallace - whatchu talkin' about?! I trained yo mamas system and she's good.

Let me answer the topic question with a question:

How would you feel if you didn't learn proper Tai Chi or Xing Ji after 12 years of practice? Now as you go to a qualified sifu, you realize you have to un-learn all the bad technique you picked up. You spend 3 years completely unlearning it, and now, can start from scratch.

Newb,

Good question,

I am not going to get to into the idea of switching, as I haven't been to the new class yet, I don't know what it is like. However, you point is a good one. I think my time at my current school is over.

W

William,

You've hit the jackpot as far as Wing Chun goes if you can train with Alan Gibson. If I was in your neck of the woods (Southampton?) I would train with him. He is of the Wong Shun Leung lineage which is considered a very good and direct system within the broader Yip Man Wing Chun family.

I've got Alan's books which I think are pretty good, and hear good things about him, on the Internet, from his peers and students. So, good choice and keep training!!!

William

I know Alan Gibson - hes a great guy, down to earth and no BS. The training there is more realistic then a lot of CMA schools and theres no grades, uniforms, bowing or hierachy. My teacher (also Alans teacher) is doing a seminar on the dummy on 4th April there. I suggest you come along to that if you have the opportunity. I'll also be there.

Good luck
    'In the woods there is always a sound...In the city aways a reflection.'

'What about the desert?'

'You dont want to go into the desert'

- Spartan

Quote Originally Posted by PangQuan
    One question. Do you think, that if you challenged your instructor, he would royally beat the snot out of you, or do you think you may be able to hold out a while?

Just kind of wondering, I know my Sifu would own me in just a couple moves, thats why I stay, I know he is a very good fighter.

Not everyone is capable of transmitting that skill to others though. a person could be a great fighter because he was trained by someone who knew how to create fighters. If said instructor didn't, then he may only produce mediocre fighters at best, even though he himself may be phenomenal.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho
    If your teacher cannot beat you up the 1st day that you met him then why did you want to learn from him any way?

Are you saying that your teacher never sparred with you?
    So, how many touchdown passes has Bill Belichek thrown in the NFL??
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.