Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cha Quan

It would be interesting to hear the lyrics.

Gene:
    10 or 12 Line?

NS,

Thank You, Thats what I thought you'd said last time we talked about this here.
    practice wu de

Actually I bored everyone to death. Even Buddhist and Taoist monks fell asleep.....SPJ

Forums are no fun if I can't mess with your head. Or your colon...
    uh-oh, I hope no one quotes me on that....Gene Ching

I'm not Normal.... RD on his crying my b!tch left me thread

I think it's a ten...

...I don't really know since I haven't even started on the project. I just know it's one of the many things on my 'to do' list...
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing
    ...I don't really know since I haven't even started on the project. I just know it's one of the many things on my 'to do' list...
    yeah, your not the only one with a big list. odnt you hate it. when one thing gets done, 3 things get added.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

Our Cha #4 doing it with four people is a group set not a sparring set. The way that it works is four people make a square and face different directions if that makes sense. Then everyone does the form together. Parts of the form there are jump kicks with punches and we all face each other landing in the middle with a punch so our fists are all together. It is pretty cool. Our form has parts where you walk in 45 degree angles. We also have another form called Ba Gua Liu Tui that is done with a group of four people. This form is more circular. I am not sure where though what branch our Cha form is from. My Grandmaster was from Shandong, China and moved to Taiwan 1949 where he was a famous teacher. My Grandmaster name is Yin Chian Ho. My father was his top student in Taiwan. His name is Master Lu.

Quote Originally Posted by shaolinche
    Our Cha #4 doing it with four people is a group set not a sparring set. The way that it works is four people make a square and face different directions if that makes sense. Then everyone does the form together. Parts of the form there are jump kicks with punches and we all face each other landing in the middle with a punch so our fists are all together. It is pretty cool. Our form has parts where you walk in 45 degree angles. We also have another form called Ba Gua Liu Tui that is done with a group of four people. This form is more circular. I am not sure where though what branch our Cha form is from. My Grandmaster was from Shandong, China and moved to Taiwan 1949 where he was a famous teacher. My Grandmaster name is Yin Chian Ho. My father was his top student in Taiwan. His name is Master Lu.
    Shaolinche,

I wanted to thank your school for being so helpful with my questions this weekend. I enjoyed visiting and found Master Becky and Allegra very helpful and courteous. Your mother made sure to say hello and Master Lu made a point to make sure that my questions were answered. You have an excellent school there as evidenced by the quality of the students. I even watched them do Cha quan. Is the Cha that they did the #4 that you practice?
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

Shaolinche,

> My Grandmaster name is Yin Chian Ho.

I know your grand teacher. I believe the #4 Char quan you leaned was from the school your grand teacher went to. Your GM went to a martial art school called "Guo Shu Ti Yu Zuan Ke Shue Shiao", meaning martial art physical eduation institute. The school was established to be a continue of Nang Jin Zong Yan Guo Shu Guan (Nang Jin Centrol martial art institute). The teachers were mostly the graduates of NJ MA institute where #4 Cha Quan was one of the standard materials they taught. The four man form is an adoption of one man form performed with four people. It was designed for performance by 4 people. You can do it with 2 or 3 people actually.

The school your GM went to taught mostly northern shaolin forms. #4 Char Quan was the form that can represent the best of many Char Quan routines. That was why the school only use #4 Char quan as teaching materials. I believe many of the forms you have learned were from the school your GM went to.

There are/were many great teachers in Taiwan graduated from NJ MA Institute. They are the same generation as your GM, but many of them have taught your GM while he attend the school. They all teach pretty much the same materials. Lien Bu, #4 Char, Yang's Tai Chi are among the most commonly taught forms by those teachers.

Most CMA teachers related to NJ MA Institute taught those forms I mentioned earlier. They may have their own variations, but you can tell the similarity.

Hope this kind of back ground helps.

Shaolinche and Robert Young

Is the Yin Chian Ho you speak of, the same as this one?:

http://www.chinesekungfucenter.com/master.html

Do you have any contact with this school?

Thank you
    USKSF North Region: www.usksfnorth.org

Saeksan,
    Yes that is the same Grandmaster Yin Chian Ho. I don't contact the school in Milwaukee too much. Grandmaster Yin after coming to America moved to Milwaukee to open up a school. I have sent emails to them up in Milwaukee a couple of times, but I don't keep in touch that often.

SaekSan,

> Is the Yin Chian Ho you speak of, the same as this one?:

Yes. shaolinChe's dad studied with him. When my teacher was younger, about 40 years ago, master Yin always asked my teacher to take a look at his students every time my teacher went to Tai Chun where master Yin taught.

That's why I know some of the history of master Yin. And, that all I know. I met shaolinche's dad after I stayed in Utah and learned that his dad studied with masteer Yin. And, I don't know the people in Milwaukee either.

Robert

Good to hear, thank you for your replies!

I visited his school (Milwaukee) right after I arrived in the US. Unfortunately he had just passed away a couple of months earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by SaekSan
    Good to hear, thank you for your replies!

I visited his school (Milwaukee) right after I arrived in the US. Unfortunately he had just passed away a couple of months earlier.
    Saeksan, again apologies for not keeping up with you. Our get together will definately happen, I'm just having a hard time freeing up my schedule for it. Any chance you're free this weekend?

As a resident of Milwaukee, I've had some limited contact with this school. They keep a very low profile. Master Yin Chian Ho's school has been around for a fairly long time. From what I've seen, thier stuff is ok, but I don't know much Northern and am not a good judge of its quality. One thing I have noted is that with every instance of contact with them they have been very nice, but seem deep into the master/hero worship thing. It's hard to get through a conversation with them reagarding martial arts without repeted mentionings of their master (whom they obviously have a deep respect for!). I actually considered looking into thier school at one point, but was turned off by thier policy of not sparring.

Anyway, I find it interestig that a recognized Taiwanese master came to Milwaukee to open a school. Too bad it isn't a bigger place with more students! I understand that some of Master Yin's students operate a school in IL.

Siu Hung,

No need for apologies my friend! I've been busy myself, this weekend unfortunately does not work for me as I have some family matters to attend to. However next weekend (perhaps 4/10) would work for me, how about you?

As for the school in question, yes, they are quite nice and polite. They have a large facility. It is too bad that they have a no sparring policy.

Most of the contact I have had was with a split group that left after Master Yin's passing. It seems like the two camps dislike each other quite a bit.

It's unfortunate when these things happen.

Quote Originally Posted by SaekSan
    Siu Hung,

No need for apologies my friend! I've been busy myself, this weekend unfortunately does not work for me as I have some family matters to attend to. However next weekend (perhaps 4/10) would work for me, how about you?

As for the school in question, yes, they are quite nice and polite. They have a large facility. It is too bad that they have a no sparring policy.

Most of the contact I have had was with a split group that left after Master Yin's passing. It seems like the two camps dislike each other quite a bit.

It's unfortunate when these things happen.
    4/10 I think is ok. I'll check with the boss

Grandmaster Yin moved to Milwaukee because originally he was from Shandong, China. In Northern China it is cooler. So he wanted to be where the weather was cooler. Otherwise he probably would of stayed in Salt Lake City, Utah. Also, about sparring I don't know what the policy is at Milwaukee, but in Salt Lake if you want to learn how to spar and train to fight you can. Master Lu was Grandmaster Yin's top student in Taiwan and he was full contact fighting grand national champion in Taiwan.