Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 LastLast

Thread: Jeet Kune Do

He was definately a philosophical guy. You have to remember that you can be very phylosophical and yet violent, even evil. You also have to remember that second to martial arts, Bruce Lee was an actor, he had dabbled in film as long as he had kung fu. He loved film, it was a passion of his. To enter the ring on a large scale was to enter the possibility of destroying his film career. I dont know about you but I would not endanger my love of something to prove a point. Granted he did not follow the phylosophical buddhist teachings of Shaolin, well, because he was not trained at shaolin. He was trained by Ip Man. If you look at Ip Man himself it seems as though he would teach this method of smash before thinking. Thats what opium does to you. Seriously though, I think your totally right, he was deffinately the type of guy to get straight to the arse whooping, and not giving an inch.
    He even says so himself.

"If your opponent will graze your skin, you pound his flesh, if he will pound your flesh you fracture his bones, if he will fracture your bones you take his life."
    A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

Master pain, or pain will master you.
    ~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"
    ~Gene "The Crotch Master" Ching

You know you want to click me!!

Wc/Jun Fan/ JKD

According to published accounts Bruce Lee did not move to the Los Angles area until December of 1966 ( to work on the Green Hornet series). Dan Inosanto is quoted as stating that Bruce wanted to get some guys together to train. They trained in Jun Fan Gung-Fu ( the Bruce Lee method of modified wing chun). JKD was not formalized until 1968 ( says Dan Inosanto in the 1974 Black Belt peice). Bruce Left for China in 1970 and when he returned in 1971 he closed the JKD kwoon and disbanned the teaching of JKD (source/John Little). JKD as an art was taught by Bruce Lee only for
    1 1/2 - 2 years!
    In the 12-14 years that Bruce lived in the US he moved from the wing chun (59-early 60's) to Jun Fan gung fu ( through 1967) to JKD ( as an art through 1971/ as a philosophy until 1973). Before he died JKD was "the way of no way" meaning it was no particular art but could adapt to work with any art. JKD in it's final years was not about techniques but philosophy and training methods.
    JKD is basically any art influenced or modified directly by Bruce Lee.
    Real JKD can be represented by Modified wing chun/Jun Fan gung Fu/jeet kune do the art/ JKD the philosophy.

I think the most beautiful thing ever said in regards to JKD is the last message given in the Tao of Jeet Koon Do.
    A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"

you guys need to watch "Circle of Iron" aka "The Silent flute" to really get what Bruce Lee was trying to teach people. as corny as the movie is in some areas and a couple of stupid rewrites in the script,,it essentially puts forth what he was trying to get in to our western minds.

if you have seen the movie or have it,,go watch it again,,and THIS TIME really Listen to the movie".

Peace,,TWS
    It makes me mad when people say I turned and ran like a scared rabbit. Maybe it was like an angry rabbit, who was going to fight in another fight, away from the first fight.

Circle of Iron was indeed an exellent movie and demonstrates Lee's understanding of what his Indian spiritual guru Jiddu Krisnamurti called the "pathless land". Most seem to prefer the 1970-pre Krishnamurti- jeet kune do as Bruce Lee's fighting art. There is no truth but the truth you make...reminds me of the Beatels ( also Indian guru influenced) the love you take is equal to the love you make...just insert "truth" for "love". Many things originating in the late 60"s were subject to a magical mystery tour. JKD has been on that tour for decades.

The Way Of The Intercepting Fist

I think VASH had it correct when he said jeet kun do is a philosophy. I have read mr. lee's books several times over....the philosophy aspect is the hardest part to digest. You need to get rid of all you know and all the things that you previously learned. Like bad habits this is a very hard thing to do...to UNLEARN something. I believe mr.lee's main idea was that you take your skills that you have as a martial artist....and in a battle situation are able to strike or defend from any position...without a stance or form where your enemy can figure you out. Freestyle fighting if you will. I myself have created my own style called the eleven hands. It is rooted in jeet kun do , in the sense that it is purely free of form. Mr. lee's compassion and will made him who he was, and his unrelenting scope on martial arts he devoured all knowledge in regards to the human form and its movement and abilities, we all know he pushed himself to the limit. That is why we still speak of him today. In short, jeet kun do is what YOU make of it. That is the secret. He shows fundamentals in terms of proper defense and attack, but ultimatley he wants you to apply the PHILOSOPHY of jeet kun do to what you have already attained as a fighter.

ELEVEN HANDS

Looking at jeet Kune Do

Does anyone know gary Gregory from plymouth? We used to go to school together and I hear is is an instructor in Plymouth.

Regards,

Intersimi
    www.martialforum.com

Can anybody provide me with some jeet kune do sparring video clips

Hi, I'm really hoping somebody caould provide me with some sparring clips of jeet kune do?

Jeet Kune do?

Nobody would answer my question in the JTK forum, so I'll try here. Does Jeet Kune do look flashy, what I mean is, is it beautiful to watch sparring matches?

Also does JTK have forms?

Can anybody provide me with some JTK video clips of sparring matches? I can't find any, and I really really want to know what this is like.

thanks

rouge.....
    ~Sima Qian

~PangQuan

Wrong.......
    I quit after getting my first black belt because the school I was a part of was in the process of lowering their standards A painfully honest KC Elbows

The crap that many schools do is not the crap I was taught or train in or teach.

Dam nit... it made sense when it was running through my head.

DM

People love Iron Crotch. They can't get enough Iron Crotch. We all ride the Iron Crotch for the exposure. Gene

Find the safety flaw in the training. Rory Miller.

What is jeet kune do?

It's just like Wing Chun but a little more advanced.
    I quit after getting my first black belt because the school I was a part of was in the process of lowering their standards A painfully honest KC Elbows

The crap that many schools do is not the crap I was taught or train in or teach.

DM

People love Iron Crotch. They can't get enough Iron Crotch. We all ride the Iron Crotch for the exposure. Gene

A step ahead of TKD or behind?
    So confusing!

Only step behind on the side kicks.

koo koo kachoo...

DM