Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: May Event in Cleveland

Can't we build bridges and still admit who is skilled? If I spar someone and they beat me. I would say so and so is a great guy and owned me from the start when we sparred. Many people who have bested me in sparring have become my best friends. Now what is wrong with that?

Well I did not think you would have any or at least post them

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimatewingchun
    "any sparring or full contact videos?" (Samson)

SO THAT a cowardly troll like you could try to rip into it???

You must think that we're a bunch of morons.

You gotta pay to play.

Come to the next get-together and show us who you are.
    Vic ,
    smart move keep the video to those that were there , you guys put your word on it and followed through ,
    no need to be the entertainment for those that didn't make it out there [myself included ]

nuff respect to all of you whens the next one
    If the truth hurts , then you will feel the pain

Do not follow me, because if you do, you will lose both me and yourself....but if you follow yourself, you will find both me and yourself

You sound rather pompous Ernie! -- by Yung Chun
    http://wslglvt.com

Quote Originally Posted by mortal
    Can't we build bridges and still admit who is skilled? If I spar someone and they beat me. I would say so and so is a great guy and owned me from the start when we sparred. Many people who have bested me in sparring have become my best friends. Now what is wrong with that?
    How true Mortal makes me wonder why?

"Can't we build bridges and still admit who is skilled? If I spar someone and they beat me. I would say so and so is a great guy and owned me from the start when we sparred. Many people who have bested me in sparring have become my best friends. Now what is wrong with that?" (mortal)

*NOTHING wrong with it, Anthony.

To each his own.

But you're ONE person talking about the experiences of one person. There are so many trolls and trouble-makers around here that any little thing could be twisted around and blown out of proportion.

It wasn't all peaches and roses. There were some moments when things could have been done differently and better. And I can think of one sparring match, for example, wherein someone got owned in the beginning and did real well by the end.

But naming names about who may have been better than who - or who landed more shots than who - or who's shots were ultimately more effective (and did more damage) than who...on a public forum that has become known as of late to be a hot bed of controversy - can do nothing but quell some people's curiousity while providing oil for others to throw on a fire that is already burning.

It's not worth it.
    Last edited by Ultimatewingchun; 05-16-2005 at 09:43 AM.

I bet you who ever exceeded expectations and who ever did not live up to a expectation in their sparring/WC abilities and/or skills will be treated differently on this forum, and this will reflect in their post and how other that attended the event with them will respond to those post, that is human nature, so time will tell us all that didn't attend who was who at this event.

Glad to hear it was a successful event and that all who attended had a blast, good show guys....

James

Hey
    i have a question
    were you guys able to keep the lineage BS out , like well my sifu does it like this and my family does it like this junk
    and just focus on the tools of application , foot work timing ETC,..

you know more individual growth instead of lineage ways
    If the truth hurts , then you will feel the pain

Do not follow me, because if you do, you will lose both me and yourself....but if you follow yourself, you will find both me and yourself

You sound rather pompous Ernie! -- by Yung Chun
    http://wslglvt.com

Hi Ernie,

That was actually one of the best things. From my perspective at least, there really was no lineage pr or politics. Everybody represented themselves, and no one assumed otherwise. We did compare notes, of course, but we did it in a manner that was respectful towards each other's method. None of the, "you're doing it wrong, I'm doing it right." More, "this is how I do it, and this is why I think it is effective." Of course we had some disagreements, but that only gave us opportunities to elaborate on our methods.

I only wish I was there for Sunday, since I wasn't able to catch a lot of people sparring (I spent more time sparring on Saturday since I had to leave on Sunday). But I hope things went as well sunday if not better than saturday for everyone else.

Regards,
    Alan

Hi Everyone,

As far as I could tell it was a great turn out and for the first time trial event was quite smooth. I think everyone had a good time. There were no injuries yet some of us had a chance to go fairly hard with full gear on. The feed back I am getting from my students is that they liked it for many reasons including, new friends, different ideas, and a chance to take an honest look at what they have been working on. It gave me a chance to look at some of the stuff we do and caused me to think a little more about how to make it better. It was great that everyone felt like they could share or talk about different issues and did not need to prove anything. It was nice to be around many different wing chun groups and yet no one felt the need to tell us about how great their teacher is, or how this lineage does it better. I had a good time and was able to make some new friends, which I am sure I will see again. Everyone from Cleveland said they really enjoyed themselves, and had a chance to learn a lot about their sparring. It was nice having beers with 5-6 different lineages, and no fights breaking out after the first one! I did have to restrain Phil… just kidding. Yes Victor and Phil have some crazy stories, and Derek is cool even without the glasses. And Alan come back soon we want to fight you again and again.

So the question is when or where is the next one? I am willing to have it in Cleveland in 3-4 months.

Carl
    MARTIAL ARTS: It is not rocket science, if you are smart, seek out a good instructor and work hard for 10 years on basics you might just start to get good.

The best thing you can do for yourself, to get good; is find a good instructor, that had a good instructor and is willing to teach you. Then find a great place to practice, ON YOUR OWN; EVERYDAY!

What good is martial arts, for you; if you do not have loyalty?

WWW.wing-chun.nu , www.immortalpalm.com,

Did any of the sparring go to the ground?

Did any one use any non WC techniques?

Were lineage differences (technical ones) notable when the intensity went up?

EDIT: Since Mats and rolling was mentioned I assume there was a bit of MMA.
    Last edited by Nick Forrer; 05-16-2005 at 04:27 PM.
    'In the woods there is always a sound...In the city aways a reflection.'

'What about the desert?'

'You dont want to go into the desert'

- Spartan

"Did any of the sparring go to the ground?" (NF)

*NOT that I saw...what was done on the ground started on the ground, or started from a standing clinch; or in the case of weng chun - it started from chi sao range.

Did anyone use any non WC techniques? (NF)

*YES...especially from long range. There was some boxing type punches and footwork going on at times, as well as some kicking that wasn't exactly "pure conventional" wing chun.

Were lineage differences (technical ones) notable when the intensity went up? (NF)

*YES...to a certain extent. Some lineages were more eclectic in their approach, some more "conventional" in their approach.

BTW everybody...I'm looking at October 22-23 as possible dates for another EVENT, here in NYC this time.

Stay tuned.
    Last edited by Ultimatewingchun; 05-16-2005 at 10:23 PM.

"any sparring or full contact videos?" (Samson)

*SO THAT a cowardly troll like you could try to rip into it???
    Would not rip into it if it was the real deal, just would like to see if it is worth traveling for. There are hundreds of open tournaments where all styles are welcome to fight.

You must think that we're a bunch of morons.
    No I just believe what I have seen from Wing Chun very un-organized and way behind the times and also Terrence seems to be right on the money at least in straight up facts
    You gotta pay to play.

Come to the next get-together and show us who you are.
    Lets see if it's worth my time or is this one of Wing Chun secret secrets

Talking

I'll tell you all one thing that was a "winner" at the event in Cleveland...my headgear with the metal bars facecage.

A lot of people seemed to like them. (I brought some extra ones for folks to use while sparring).

On the very first sparring match that took place, while wearing a more conventional boxing headgear, someone caught a finger in the eye (almost everyone wore thin semi-fingerless gloves)...and the match had to be temporarily stopped so that he could recover (and he changed his headgear to one that had a facecage).

Some people liked the chest protectors that I brought also...and some probably wish now they had used one. (ouch)!
    Last edited by Ultimatewingchun; 05-16-2005 at 10:41 PM.

I'll tell you all one thing that was a "winner" at the event in Cleveland...my headgear with the metal bars facecage.

A lot of people seemed to like them. (I brought some extra ones for folks to use while sparring).

On the very first sparring match that took place, while wearing a more conventional boxing headgear, someone caught a finger in the eye (almost everyone wore thin semi-fingerless gloves)...and the match had to be temporarily stopped so that he could recover (and he changed his headgear to one that had a facecage).

Some people liked the chest protectors that I brought also...and some probably wish now they had used one. (ouch)!

Victor, what model head gear do you have? Would like to check it out online. Most of the head gear I've used doesn't absorb impact very well especially to the chin. Always interested in hearing what gear is working for people.

Have you checked out or tried Tony Blauer's GEAR?

-----------

Accidental finger's, Bui Sao, in the eyes do seem to happen quite a bit.

Even with the narrow opening for the eye's in the gear I have both myself and a buddy ended up getting one in the eye, which does tend to slow things down to a screeching halt, LOL, despite what some have posted.
    Jim Hawkins
    M Y V T K F
    "You should have kicked him in the ball_..."—Sifu

YungChun:

I don't like Tony Blauer's stuff - too big and bulky.

What we've done is take the typical PRO FORCE headgear (they're white in color)...and we removed the plastic face cage that normally comes with it...and we customized it by replacing it with a hockey face cage.

They can be bought separately at some sporting good stores, and they fit perfectly onto the headgear.

The advantages are that there are enough horizontal and vertical bars to completely protect the face, but they're thin enough not to impede vision the way that the thicker plastic bars do (that normally come with the headgear).

And because they're metal - there won't be any fingers finding their way into the eyes anymore - because it's too easy to hurt your fingers on the metal...and people will quickly learn not to go to the face openhanded.