Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Conditioning

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by reneritchie
    BTW- I've read a lot of stuff recently that says its better to stretch after, not before, training.

I agree. It is better to do a very light stretch with your warm up than go full out stetching. Just ensure you stretch out the muscles that you will be primarily using in your workout.

I don't stretch at all anymore until after training. Now I just do articulations for every joint, and warm-ups (drills relating to MA that take me through range of motion for reps). Stretching only after. Seems to be working well for me.

Another good post from M.G., this time from the UG BJJ forum:

You can use almost any solo drill to work anaerobic endurance as long as the drill is done intensely for the interval or the time period you're doing the drill/exercise.

If you do the drill or exercise and it is way under optimal or near optimal intensity you won't stress the anaerobic system. For example if running is your chosen exercise to work anaerobic endurance you will have to sprint during the intervals instead of jog.

Another important thing to keep in mind is that it is the recovery time inbetween each interval that is key.

A good rule of thumb to use for interval training and which metabolic system you want to stress is work to rest ratio. If you want to stress the ATP-PCR system then you want a work to rest ratio of 1:3 or greater (1:4, 1:5 etc). The first number represents how many seconds of work; the second number represents how many seconds of rest. So, for example, during a given exercise like sprinting, you work at a high intense pace for about 10 sec (it take you 10 seconds to run 100 yards) you want to rest 3 times that number or 30 seconds. Now the ATP-PCR is the system usually used for very high power activities like weightlifting.

Generally most common and popular sports like basketball and soccer are anaerobic glycolytic which is the second metabolic system. If you want to stress this system in than use a work to rest ratio of 1:2. Incidently all of the combat sports: Bjj, Boxing, Muay Thai, Judo, Wrestling are mostly anaerobic glycolytic.

The Aerobic metabolic system is stress in interval training using a work to rest ratio of 1:1.

Indispensable Exercise?

Easy.

Walking on the treadmill at the gym with Jerry Springer playing on the overhead TV, and two rows of thong-leotard-wearing nyphettes on step machines and stationary bikes in front of me.

I'm a fan of Tabata intervals, and yoga.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

Sounds more like Tantra, Nerlich....