Thread: bad backs

bad backs

I have a bad back and I will like to know if (((((I think you guys call it chi sao sticky hands for tai chi boxing))))))))))))

does this make your back ache(if you have back problems)?????

Mike

p.s.-ive never had back pain doing intense shaolin long fist but I have had problems in tai chi because Im standing there for a longer time not really moving around. Do any of you have back problems like when you stand up and your back hurts after a while and still will be able to do Wing Chun because Long Fist workout is very different than Wing Chun workout.

I have an L5 spondyliolisthesis with L5 slipped anteriorly over S1. I get back pain if I stand around for hours, or walk slowly around shopping malls, museums, and the like.

Try your chi sao in a slightly different stance, moving around, etc, etc. Standing there for hours on end isn't really the most productive way to practice in any case.

If you have back problems, seek professional help. I had lots of pain in my back, and restricted flexibility, all through my twenties and well into my thirties die to this injury. Only after seeing a physiotherapist did things start to come good. Now at 50 I'm kicking people in the head, rolling BJJ 4-5 times a week, running, weights, everything.

It's only standing and slow walking around that really hurts my back.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

thats inspiring for you to say your doing bjj i would like to do that too also

a physiotherapist you mean a physical therapist???? same thing???
    i started going to a chiropractor you think i will get just as good results as a (physiotherapist)????? Sounds like your back is worse than mine for that I can walk without feeling discomfort for long periods of time

Quote Originally Posted by anerlich
    I have an L5 spondyliolisthesis with L5 slipped anteriorly over S1. I get back pain if I stand around for hours, or walk slowly around shopping malls, museums, and the like.

I have the exact same thing at L5. What kind of things are you doing for flexibility and strengthening up the back?

I have a bad back and after lots of Chi Sao, it aches and seizes up.

I make sure that my back is strong by lying face down on an excersize ball and lifting alternating hands and feet. Also, I keep my core nice and tight.

I have also found that keeping my hamstrings (which are connected to the glutes and lower back) nice a supple as well as stretching the hips and back very useful.

Just keep stretching and strengthening. If I miss a couple days of stretching, things start to hurt again.

Sincerely,
    Kenton Sefcik
    “An ounce of action is worth a ton of theory.” – Friedrich Engels

thats inspiring for you to say your doing bjj i would like to do that too also
    I recommend it, for reasons ranging from fun to self-defense.

a physiotherapist you mean a physical therapist???? same thing???
    Yeah, I think "physiotherapist" means the same thing for an Aussie or Brit as "physical therapist" does for a Yank.

i started going to a chiropractor you think i will get just as good results as a (physiotherapist)?????
    In my experience chiropractors vary widely in ability. I went to quite a few, some were completely useless, one or two helped me enormously. I DID have significant alignment problems which were eventually fixed.

I found I was only getting temporary relief from chiropractors. After a hard workout, I'd get pain again, and have to go back.

The physiotherapist gave me rehab exercises to strengthen the muscles around my injury, and then things began to improve markedly. I used to get pain to the extent I'd need a stick to walk around every month or so before, now I'd be unlucky if I got a significant attack of exercise-related back pain more than once every two years.

The thing is, chiropractors are good at adjusting the spine, but most of them know nothing about correcting muscular imbalances or injury rehab. (Others may disagree, I wish it weren't so in my experience, I would have been fixed about very much quicker, but it was).

The point is, get lots of opinions from a variety of health professionals, and don't give up. I had back problems for over ten years, REALLY frustrating, now I'm pretty much cured.

Sounds like your back is worse than mine for that I can walk without feeling discomfort for long periods of time
    I probably made it sound worse than it is. I can go for long runs or walk at a reasonable pace for hours. What makes my back ache is standing around in one place for a long time or just amblibg around in stop start fashion, like shopping with my wife, or worse, several women, in shopping centres and the like. But all I have to do is sit down and/or stretch for a few minutes and I'm OK.

I have the exact same thing at L5. What kind of things are you doing for flexibility and strengthening up the back?
    I do some stretching, not a huge amount, it *is* possible to overdo it if you have spinal problems (or even if you don't). Salute to the Sun and the various triangle and warrior postures from yoga seem to help me recover quicker after a hard workout.

You'd be better off getting advice from a professional, but my physio got me to do one leg quarter squats, a fair amount of ab work (strong abs are as important as a strong back if not more so) quarter squats against a wall squeezing a ball between my knees, lunges, and a variety of moderate jumping and balance exercises. The posture of the lower spine is crucial for getting benefit from the exercises, and quite a few of them are designed to improve your balance and awareness of the alignment of the skelton and of the forces acting around the injury as you move. I do some deadlifts and squats, but I'm a bit leery of amping the weight up too high or overdoing it and damaging myself further.

My advice would be to consult a professional rather than try hit and miss on your own.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti

One thing I want to add is about the YJKYM stance...

I know the way we hold our posture that it is imperative that the hips are *really* and not half-a$$ed pushed forward. Any part of my butt sticking out puts pressure and pain on the lower back.

As all have also mentioned...I love doing other activities...like skateboarding, etc. I would imagine that the BJJ and other activities outside of WC keep you limber.

Kenton Sefcik
    “An ounce of action is worth a ton of theory.” – Friedrich Engels

Quote Originally Posted by anerlich
    I do some stretching, not a huge amount, it *is* possible to overdo it if you have spinal problems (or even if you don't). Salute to the Sun and the various triangle and warrior postures from yoga seem to help me recover quicker after a hard workout.

my physio got me to do one leg quarter squats, a fair amount of ab work (strong abs are as important as a strong back if not more so) quarter squats against a wall squeezing a ball between my knees, lunges, and a variety of moderate jumping and balance exercises. The posture of the lower spine is crucial for getting benefit from the exercises, and quite a few of them are designed to improve your balance and awareness of the alignment of the skelton and of the forces acting around the injury as you move. I do some deadlifts and squats, but I'm a bit leery of amping the weight up too high or overdoing it and damaging myself further.

Sounds like I am on the right track. I do many of those exercises now. Thanks for the tips.

im seeing a chiropractor so i say that once my spine is alligned then thats the time to see a physical therapist.

I know the way we hold our posture that it is imperative that the hips are *really* and not half-a$$ed pushed forward. Any part of my butt sticking out puts pressure and pain on the lower back.
    My physiotherapist made much of using a "pelvic tilt", rolling the pelvis underneath, so there is correct alignment and no strain. But this is not an extreme movement.

It is DEFINITELY possible to push the hips TOO FAR forward. You want the spine aligned so it is supporting itself, somewhat analogous to stacking the vertebrae and pelvis like a stack of building blocks, balance them right they hold themselves up.

Doing a YJKYM like someone has come up behind you and given you massive kick up the quoit with a steel capped boot is almost as bad IMO.