Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Who are the southern mantis people

Re: Re:

Originally posted by Jook Lum
    Actually it is both depending on the breakdown. In the beginning it
    is short hand form or exercise, but in time when you start to figure
    things out you see it is a small but ingenious formula which has many
    levels.This is typical of all the forms and exercises.

Simple but not easy!
    Tell me about it. 30 seconds and you want to stop!

:P

ttt~

been snowed under at the moment. hope to post something more porductive and those scans later in the week.

for now to the top~ incase some one has something.

any OLD skool CHor Gar students of Malcolm Sue liek to share about how and what the training was /is like back then? the chow gar days NOT ging mo kune.

also any info on what, how and why master nat. yuen changed his chow gar method and how it was etc?

anyone out there actucally trained under master nat yuen back in 60s!!?

thanks

5thbro

Heh, i haven't been on these forums for ages...so Guy who's the Sifu that teaches at the CKFA's Townsville school?

Also i think Sifu Henry Sue incorporated Tai Chi circular movements into the Chow gar tong long to make all the movements flow better and has 'circles' involved, kinda like what tai chi has.

Re:

Hello fidon and welcome back to the forum! I dont know who the teacher is teaching in a Henry Poo Yee school in Townsville.Have
    you visited it and if so what is your opinion?

Do you study spm and if so what branch?

Hello Jook Lum, I think Fidon is asking about one of Henry Sue's school's that also use the name Chinese Kung Fu Academy. Poo Yee has no branch school's in Australia that I know of.

Re:Chin Chung Cao

Thank you for the clarification.

Originally posted by fidon
    Heh, i haven't been on these forums for ages...so Guy who's the Sifu that teaches at the CKFA's Townsville school?

Also i think Sifu Henry Sue incorporated Tai Chi circular movements into the Chow gar tong long to make all the movements flow better and has 'circles' involved, kinda like what tai chi has.

Short answer Sifu Ben Sue.

I think it's quite interesting (and also a valuable learning experience)to study the differences in style that Dr Nat Yuen introduced. For instance, he appears to have made changes to the forms aimed at making them more practical, and more aggressive in terms of striking at the opponent's head. This is evident in Bo Sim Sau. The forms as taught by other masters appear a little less practical, but emphasise the value of vital point strikes. In fact, when it comes to Bo Sim Sau, judging from the way its presented in Paul Whitrod's new book, they are really two different forms. Nat Yuen's follows a three step formula, with the Bo Sim Sau's principle target being the head, whereas Whitrod's version would seem to be much longer with 18 sections and an emphasis on striking/grabbing the arms. To be honest, looking at the limited number of pictures presented, I wouldn't even recognise it as the same form. Other forms coming down from Nat Yuen are very similar though.

I wonder what others thoughts are on those issues?
    someone elses quote.. im equally interest in such things and early oz chow gar days.. sue brothers and sue-tin brothers etc

I've heard that Nat Yuen did tai Chi, and that this influenced the way he taught Tong Long. Personally, I'm not sure about this. Malcolm and Henry certainly did Tai Chi, and that has influenced their Tong Long to some degree, but as far as I can tell they never learned it from Nat Yuen, which would have been natural if he knew it himself. I have been thinking lately that any changes in the way we do things in Australia were brought about by Malcolm and Henry and that Nat Yuen taught the style closely to what he learned from Yip Shui. I also think that since Nat Yuen came to Australia in the late 1950's, they have added forms since the original half dozen or so that were taught by Lau Soi.

The usage of pock sau and yeun sau in those drills are designed to develop your palming-off skills, and also (See-lik)test/try power of the opponent's strikes.
    Overall these drills develop your body movements, entry and exiting footwork, timing, conditioning, reflexes and the most important bik kiu (force bridge skill) onto the opponent's bridge.
    Once you've mastered these drills, it's very hard for anyone to strike at your body or your bridge for that matter. In fact, once you've palm off their destructive strikes with yin powder, your muscle memory will kick-in immedately to deliver deadly pak, pai, pok, gow chui in flowing sequences.
    Frankly speaking, it's too bloody dangerous to teach these drills to anyone that has an evil mind, that's why I still kept them close to my chest.

lam Tong Long!

tong long!!

Jook lum

I have a couple of questions for you since you study with Gin Foon Mark.

1. What is your opinion on his six sounds chi gung? Personally, I like it because it's a hell of a lot easier than the yit gung ging taught at my school and it takes A LOT less time. But I've heard that "Six sounds chi gung" is nothing special. What's your take on it?

2. Why didn't Gin Foon Mark put out anymore tapes on Kwong Sai Jook Lum Southern Mantis? In a few of his tapes it is mentioned that more advanced videos are coming. In his chi gung book it said he's writing a comprehensive book on Southern Mantis. ALL OF THIS WAS SAID YEARS AGO! The dude isn't getting any younger. Does he plan on pulling a Tupac Shakur and having everything released AFTER his passing?

I'm being really serious here. Please answer genuinely.
    A penny saved is... not much.

Re:

Hello travelsbyknight,

Thanks for the questions, my opinion on the six healing sounds chi gung is that it is a well rounded form of breathing exercises that are as good as any others out there which is not saying it is the best or worst but that it is a form of chi gung that produces results and as you mentioned it`s beauty lies in it`s simplicity.

I think it is good because the transition from one set of movements to the next
    blends smoothly with the breathing and when the breathing and movements are
    memorized the full set can be done right through the sequence in a short amount of time or longer amount of time which is left up to the practitioner so it is flexible and well suited for those with limited time.
    In my opinion the easiest way for this form of chi gung to be learned is to first memorize the movements and then add the breath to them.
    What is your opinion on the progress and results you have gained or found lacking in your six sounds practice?

Sadly in my opinion, I dont think his book will ever come to pass. I think there would be a big demand for it though. I dont know why he never put out more videos. What was your opinion of the older videos?And which have you seen?

I've never seen his video's, would like to get hold of them if possible. Whats the best way? Are they available to buy? Can i swap videos with someone that has them?

Thanks
    The roots of true achievement lie in the will to become the best that you can become.

train hard...

www.tonglong.co.uk/

www.tonglong.co.uk/forum/

Re:Videos

Hello kismet,

One way is to go to http://www.masterginfoonmark.com and go to the books and video section and you can order them through there. I think you may be able to find some people on various forums who might be willing to trade videos with you also.

I will PM you also.