Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: spj's new taiji book

Yes, we always need a good instructor or teacher to learn to do everything right. Videos and books are study aides and references.

If you are patient, may be in 3 to 5 weeks, the search inside book at the amazon.com will work. You may read free pages. If you really enjoy reading it, you may buy used one for lower price.

I was trying to contribute the books to the public libraries system. Meaning I buy the books and donate them to the public library, so that people may loan and read for free. However, the public library said if I donate the books, they will sell them for money. I will get a reciept. And the money goes to the library. And they do not accept donated books into their shelf.

So any way, my 2 other books are searchable at the amazon.com sites. Everyone may read free pages.

The principles are universal in all styles of Tai Chi. The apps and practices may differ slightly. Or every style emphasizes differently. The general formats are the same.

The sudden jerking movements are called Tang Do Jing. Such as Ban Lan Zui. In Chen, you see both arms with closed fists swing circularly to the left and then to the right. At the end of the move, there is vibrating, shaking or jerking. It is supposed to be a whole body jerking suddenly but the force is focused to the fists or forearms.

In Chen Fa Ke Xing Jia, he added more circles to each move. And yes, these are reversible rotations or Huei Zhuan. Meaning to go to the left, you go to the right first, then back and forth 2 times. The first time is a small move, the second time is a bigger move. You repeat the same move in small version and then in a bigger version.

The small version is to practice the wrist rotation mainly and slightly elbow movement. The bigger version will involve shoulder movement more.

This way we may appreciate the Yin and Yang of each move more.

In the book, it is Chen Chang Xing Lao Jia or Da Jia. There are no small circles added. However, it is the form that all modern styles derived from. Thus, it is worthwhile to be looked at by all styles.

Sort of a common root "shared" by many.

Last edited by SPJ; 05-14-2005 at 07:18 AM.

I thought all the general principles and theory were the same for all styles, they just implement them somewhat differently, but it was worth checking. I'll put the book on my Amazon wishlist for possible future buying. Thanks for the notes about the circles in Chen style. I think I get the idea of using the jerking motion at the end of a move in order to help achieve the desired force. I'm not sure I understand exactly why you'd have those multiple circles and reversing actions in the middle of moves. Doing it small first then big second makes some sense, rather than doing only small frame or only big frame you practice some of both in one. It still seems unusual to me, but probably only because I haven't learned any of it.

Reverse rotation is a difficult concept to grasp.

I like to call them reversible, because that means they are changeable.

At first, the concept of rotation has to be known and mastered. It may be used to redirect the opponent's Jing and release of your own Jing or Fa Jing.

Where rotation comes about? Yes, it is from all joints especially the waist and the steps.

If the opponent Peng, his Jing going upward and outward. You may Lu by contact his forearm with a little Peng rotation and then waist rotation to your left or right rear. You change his Jing from upward and outward into laterally foreward.

If the opponent delivers a right high punch to your chest, you move back one foot and yield to your right. You are on the outside of his right arm. You move up your right forearm to contact his right forearm. You have to rotate your waist to your right a bit. The main Peng Jing from the waist rotation is important to remain in contact, stick, link, follow, not opposing, and not losing contact. Zhan Nian Lian Shui Bu Diu Bu Ding. If you only move your arm and not the body, steps or waist, you will be opposing the opponent's Jing. Why? because the opponent's Jing is going toward your previous center high chest region. We have to reposition to be away the previous position and face the opponent's Jing from the the side or not in the front of it.

Your waist rotated to the right. You may Lu further or if you sense the opponent's pulling back his fist. You then rotate your waist to your left. This is a reverse rotation from the previous to the right. This time you are Fa Jing, you use your left forearm to Peng his chest, exposed rib side, or right upper arm etc.

Reverse rotation may occur at the wrist, elbow, shoulder, knee and steps or postures.

For example, if the opponent pushes your right shoulder. Yes, you yield to your right and yet maintain a Peng or a little opposing force to remain in contact or stick Nian. When his Jing is retarded, slowed or near its end or he started to retract his right hand, and yes you rotate your waist back and strike (Kao) his hand with your shoulder or push (An) with hands his exposed rib side or chest. We are adding a Jing to his retreating Jing and off he falls.

We do not need to complete a whole or a half circle before we chang directions. The practice of big circles, mid circles and small circles and eventually no apparent circles. Our move may be an arc so to speak and reversible. Or the Tai Chi diagram.

Last edited by SPJ; 06-02-2005 at 06:47 PM.

The book is now searchable inside.

Here is the link;

Search inside Tai Ji Quan book

Last edited by SPJ; 06-10-2005 at 06:48 PM.

The book is now available in amazon.com.

It is cheaper at the authorhouse.com.

After a while, more sellers will carry it and then the used copies will be available, too.

Tai Ji Quan

I placed the book ad in JAMA.

It will appear in Aug issue.

So if you guys see it, do not be alarmed.

The editor is only accepting certain ad that is consistent with their aesthic and academic standard.

I am much happy that the editor accepted the placement of my book ad.