Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: How do you increase your strength, but not your size..?

Quote Originally Posted by Merryprankster
    If this is your goal, do clap pushups, where you explode off the ground.

Otherwise, the old lifting adage of "lift slow, be slow," will apply. You aren't training the muscles to contract as quickly as possible.

You need to do the pushups as explosively and as fast as you can.

Buying a resistance band (one with handles, or long enough that you can tie a handle loop) can help as well, when you get good at doing a bunch of clap push ups on your own. Just stretch it across your upper back.

Just doing a bunch of normal pushups isn't going to help your punching speed much (if at all) unless you're just in crappy shape to begin with. And I mean really crappy - like moving from sedentary to moderately active.

At this point, I'd also like to say that you are confusing muscle memory with something else. You are looking for an increase in an aspect of physical performance. That performance is translatable to your punching. After all, if I am good at punching, being stronger or more explosive can only help.

But "muscle memory" is highly specific to a movement/activity, so getting good at push-ups does not mean your punching will improve. Punching is a much more complicated activity. The muscle memory cultivated in a good push-up is not the same as the muscle memory cultivated in repeated punching. Just because I can use chopsticks, for example, does not mean I can knit.

Basically if you want to practice handspeed, buy a double end bag and a pair of bag gloves, do a bunch of "shadowboxing," so you won't ever be off balance, and have fun.
    I think not, endurence is the key just like stance training.

is the key to what? strength? surely, you don't really belive that.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Quote Originally Posted by SevenStar
    is the key to what? strength? surely, you don't really belive that.
    We do lots of stance work. Have you watched the endurence training in 36 chambers of shaolin, the main character eventually moved as light as a feather.

After reading your posts, Vasquez, I marvel at why Australia would WANT a mandatory voting law.

You are an excellent argument against it.
    "In the world of martial arts, respect is often a given. In the real world, it must be earned."

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. "--Bertrand Russell

"Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. "--Benjamin Disraeli

"A conservative government is an organised hypocrisy."--Benjamin Disraeli

Of course most of you know, but Vasquez is a troll of the most boring nature. Kinda reminds me of Spiraler.

I'm sure if I do 500 squats a day I'll have no problem jumping over a bus that is about to run over me. That's what REAL muscle memory is all about.
    Your intelligence is surpassed only by your ignorance.

You are more likely to fall down the stairs and break your neck if you live in a house with stairs. You are more likely to be in a car accident if you drive to work. You are more likely to be kicked in the nuts or punched in the nose if you practicing the martial arts. - Judge Pen