Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Nick Scrima Tournament Videos

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    mantid1: sure, I'm not trying to beat the kid up...he was very tight in his movement....what I saw that seemed off to me was the three steps before the palm strike at the beginning of the first road. Shouldn't that footwork be tied to handwork and not the handwork coming after the foot work?

traditional or modern there seems to be body linking missing.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Oso

I think the two extra steps could just be closing the gap. I would have to see their ling side to say for sure. That may be the starting point and the form side may be moving in attacking the ling side. How does your ling set apply this technique?

Thanks

mantid1

Wah Lum does not have a two person Beng Bu form, the form that kid did was a spiced up version of their Beng Bu, "Big Mantis".

Definitely not Wah Lum Big Mantis.

You sure? It looks like a mutilated Big Mantis to me...

The only Big Mantis moves in there are the ones that are the same as Bung Bo. The ones that differ from BB are not there at all. Some angles are different than BM but consistant with 7* BB.

Seems obvious to me that someone jazzed up BB for show and left the apps out. I'm sure the kid doesn't have a clue and is just doing what he was taught the way he learned it.

I'll defer to the experts like Tainan Mantis, Mantis 108 and the others.

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    mantid1: could be closing the gap, I'll agree with that.

each of our steps coincides with a defense or attack...no movement forward that isn't crowding the ling side...we play our 2 man very close to each other...I feel we are contantly 'tagging', 'following' and 'leaning' throughout the set...I've not seen anyone else's BB 2 Man but in other two person I've seen the two people are very far apart...to far to really be throwing an effective attack.

I agree with Ou Ji, the kid is probably doing exactly what he was taught and very well.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Oso

I agree. Many two person sets are done way to far apart. Most of the time the practitioners would not be close enough for positive contact with the technique at full extension. That is a hard one to get through to the students with.

Your ling bung bo sounds great. Is there anyway your could post a clip of it? It would be great to see.

I think there is a clip of hk bung bo ling set on the mantis quarterly video site. It is black and white but still nice to watch. You could check it out and see how it compares to yours.

Monkey Spear ???????

When will it all end.

Quote Originally Posted by mantid1
    Mok Ga tiger fork
    that's a wah lum form right? I think this is the same form sifu mai du practiced in class.

that kid trains in calvin chin's school. I've seen him perform this form in yao li's tournament

Thumbs up

Yes Wah Lum tiger fork, but Grandmaster Chan’s family style is Mok Gar so mantid1 may be right… I will be sure to ask today.

fm
    RibHit
    “Being fast is fine but accuracy is everything.”
    Wyatt Erupt
    Feeling jumpy!!!
    Thread Killer...>>>
    Tommy M

Mok Ga Tiger Fork

The tiger fork form in video is the form I know, he left out a few things though. We always called it just tiger fork. Looks like they have tiger fork 1 thru 4 now.

The tiger fork is an awesome weapon and a lot of fun to play. Would not fight a tiger with one, think I might use it to make sure the tiger is dead after I’ve unloaded a full clip in its a$$. Just want to poke it a few times make sure it doesn’t move. This is a Mok Gar form it is also a left handed form. I have seen some of my Sihings do a right handed tiger fork which is similar flavor but is definitely different. The only thing left out was the beginning which starts with the weapon on the ground, and the prancing towards the end. I did the same form last year w/ the prancing.

fm

RibHit
    “Being fast is fine but accuracy is everything.”
    Wyatt Erupt
    Feeling jumpy!!!
    Thread Killer...>>>
    Tommy M

hi everybody. I've been really enjoying the comments on this thread and wanted to add my 2 cents. As far as the whip chain is concerned, it's definately a wushu form. I have the same form except sequence of some of the movements is in different places. As for the mantis video, shoalin dude is right. That kid trains at calvin chins in Newton,ma. I should know cause I used to train there too. Still do whenever I can find the time to drive 2hours from springfield,ma. The main style of the school is hung gar(lam sai wing) lineage, but we have a few northern forms that were taught to our late sigung(Kwang tit fu) That bung bu form was one of them. It is very traditional and that kid did not add anything to it. Granted he moved a little fast and some of his hand techiques were blurred, but he did the form as it was taught to us by sifu Calvin Chin. The school only recently added a wushu curriculum, but when I learnt that form almost 6yrs ago, there was no wushu and I learnt the same form. I had always been curious which branch of the mantis family it came from. I currently do wah lum/choy lay fut/wushu at my current school and I've come to know there is no bung bu form in wah lum. My currently sifu doesn't even recognize that form, but back to the topic, that bung bu is very traditional to my understanding. It might have been altered a bit before our sifu or si-gung got it but I know it has no wushu influence. Someone mentioned it resembled the one from 7* . If anyone has a clip of bung bu from any other mantis styles, I would very much like to see it. I enjoy comparing the same forms from different lineages and seeing how similar of different it looks.
    Well that 's my 2 cents. Great thread!

one more thing, Unknown form 4 is definately eagle claw small cotton palm(siu min geung). I thing i butchered the spelling recognized it from my eagle claw days.