Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone know of any good Toronto CMA schools?

Anyone know of any good Toronto CMA schools?

Specifically, I want to learn either hsing-i, bajiquan, and baguazhang with a certified and credible instructor.

A few inquiries resulted in the discoveries of Sifu James Guo's school at the Taipei Cultural Center (he teaches a combat-oriented potpourri of bagua, baji, and tanglang) and Sifu Philipp Mo who--to my knowledge--teaches bagua, hsing-i, and taiji at UofT's Hart House.

These are the schools I am heavily considering and actually on the brink of joining James Guo's school. But before I make that giant leap, I want to make a few inquiries and solicit s'more recommendations.

Thanks and have a great day.

LJL

certified?
    Kung Fu is good for you.

You know, minty breath.

Personally I find Certs don't do it for me, I use BreathSavers.
    Do - Or do not - There is no try.
    *Yoda*

I was thinking more in terms of "nutcase".

In which case, there are lots of those. hee hee.

Anyway...try the phonebook, go to chinatown, come on up to markham, there's a lot of chinese martial arts instructors up here in pretty much a plethora of arts.

certification and credibility are kinda stretching it. YOu either get it and it shows or you don't get it and it shows. You could have a sound lineage and still suck at your playing and so on.

If you want certified, then you are looking for international standardized shotokan karate or ITF or WTF tae kwon do. THose guys are certified up the yin yang. CMA practice, in particular the arts you mentioned are the furthest thing from "certified" as you will find. THey don't for the most part have belt ranking systems, those arts tend to be very informal and you can likely learn for free if you show up at a given park early enough in the morning when teh long time pracs are out getting their dailys in.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Certified is the wrong word to use then...so then can anyone else recommend me an instructor that can teach legitimate stuff?

There are many good martial arts schools in the GTA.

Many schools have a main style, but also practice the big three internal arts you have listed. They just don't offer them as mainstay of the curriculum.

But take a trip down to old chinatown. From Queen street to Dundas you will find a few reputable and decent kungfu schools that offer taoist, buddhist, militaristic, healing and all sorts of good kungfu.

If you do take the trip up to markham, there is even more variety. Sure it's an extra forty minutes up the dvp, but hey, it may be worth it to you.

I'm certain you will find decent instruction available to you here.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

I will take the trip to Chinatown, but I don't know about Markham.

Besides that, I want to hear other people's experiences in some of the clubs they visited in Toronto.

Ljl

Not among the arts that you first listed but Roy Anthony teaches good wing chun in Toronto. I dont know his current location but he used to use a college gym- when I visited his class.

joy chaudhuri
    Last edited by Vajramusti; 08-23-2005 at 11:23 AM. Reason: spelling correction

Thanks for the replies. I heard nothing but good things about Roy Anthony. Unfortunately, however, I am aiming more for Chen Style Taiji, Xingyi, Baji, Bagua, or anything related.

I'm currently studying under James Guo.

I was in your shoes about a year and half ago, selecting between baji and xingyi.
    I checked out Philip Mo's place, and was unimpressed with his "my style is the best" attitude.

Studying under Guo laoshi has been a really great experience. His no non-sense combative approach to CMA is very refreshing. Although he won't teach you baji right away, and will teach you based on your physical traits and personality. Don't come into his place expecting fairy tale internal exercises, he places heavy emphesis on basic combat drills and conditioning. We don't practice forms very often, but mostly drill on techniques, combat strategies and sparring.

He is easily the most knowledgable martial artist I've ever came across, well versed in theory, application and history of CMA. Not to mention an open and scientific mind towards everything.
    http://individual.utoronto.ca/gfx/logo1.jpg

"A witty saying proves nothing."
    - Voltaire (1694-1778)

Yes. Last week I visited James Guo's club and was impressed by his knowledge. I appreciate the fact that he can approach martial arts in a very scientific manner, although I would not discount 'internal' exercises as fairytale. While I was talking to him, I got the feeling that he felt that 'internal' exercises were counterproductive in real combat. At this point of time, I can't debate with him because he has obviously more expertise and has even studied under a well-reputed grandmaster. However, 'internal' strength is hardly fantasy--it obeys the laws of physics. As I see it, developing internal strength builds your body's connection to the ground and exploits this to meet and deflect any incoming force. Having done Baji, Chen style taiji, and baguazhang, I am sure Sifu Guo would know what I am talking about.

Having said all that, have you seen him do any parlour tricks? Have you seen him demonstrate a skill that was beyond brute power? For instance, Mike Sigman has this test:

"Have the person put the palm of their hand on your upper chest (to one side) or, if you prefer, on your shoulder from the side. Then, ask them to hit you as hard as they can....*without* moving their hand back and without ****ing their shoulder (9 out of 10 will use their shoulder, so watch for it).

If they have developed waist power and other skills, they can launch you through the air... if they haven't, the most they can do is rock you a bit if your stance is fairly stable (get in a good stance). Watch that shoulder, though....it shouldn't really move."

What're the combat implications of this demonstration? Who cares. Training in 'internal' strength and sparring are two entirely different entities. The fact is, 'internal' strength is not a magical phenomenon, but a physical one. Or in Sifu James Guo's words, not 'miraculous'. Since 'internal' strength is a physical phenomena, it can therefore translate into sparring practise...which is very much an 'external' practise. I didn't observe the whole class but Sifu told me that he trains the beginners in boxing/muay thai drills because he wants them to develop fundamental skills to learn baji/tanglang/bagua/etc. I like that idea. Although, since I've never been to the class where he actually teaches these arts, does he teach you basic movements (not to be mistaken with forms) to help you develop the body power (note I say body power, not muscular strength) to deliver the explosiveness that, say, bajiquan is famous for? For instance, does he teach you the horse stance or anything of the like?

Please understand that I am approaching this scientifically like you...I don't believe in ki blasts, no touch knockdowns or anything like that. I am for sparring, but I am also for the development of internal strength.

Thanks,

LJL

I would suggest looking up Sunny Tang.
    He runs a martial arts supply store,but is knowledgeable in Wushu ,and Wing Chun.Very Good.I am sure he could refer you to someone ..
    And he gives good deals on spears too..
    Good luck in T.O.

Peace..

I would not miss the chance to study with Guo Laoshi---he is a no BS guy and knows both Chinese culture and Western Science well---he is one of the best baji/pigua practitioners I have ever seen or met.

If he still teaches Chen's taijiquan, you can't go wrong and he also knows Liu Yun Qiao's bagua at a very deep level.

He is the real deal and from what I understand, his son is also top notch!
    "Its better to build bridges rather than dig holes but occasionally you have to dig a few holes to build the foundation of a strong bridge."

"Traditional Northern Chinese Martial Arts are all Sons of the Same Mother," Liu Yun Qiao

I would suggest looking up Sunny Tang.
    Or Augustine Ngu at All Masters. They are both on the board of the Canadian Kuoshu/Wushu Federation. One of them should have some names.

Steve
    Do - Or do not - There is no try.
    *Yoda*