Thread: New Nan Quan form

Question New Nan Quan form

Hello,
    I have a question. Does anybody know if the New Nan Quan form is Formaly recognized by International Wu Shu Federation? I have only seen this form on video, where He Jing De (BeiJing wushu team member) does DEMO. I am not sure if this form is complete and has been already taught by any wu shu masters. I have heart that some guy has performed the form at Wu Shu competition in Poland.

The IWuF until very recently had compulsory forms for Chang Quan / Long Fist, Taiji Quan / Tai Chi and Nan Quan / Southern Fist as well as primary short and long weapons. The Nanquan form was in place for a little over ten years and was modelled on the routine of late 80s female Champion Chen Laihung. The routine was mandatory for all athletes competing at the International / World level in IWuF events.

Recently all compulsories have been removed and competitors now perform optional routines based on those aforementioned three routines and the short and long weapons.

Hope this helps!
    Last edited by firepalm; 09-10-2005 at 01:04 PM.

yep

there was once a whole duan system for Nan Quan.

I believe they got to level 5

each level had a hand, pole and nan dao set (getting more difficult)

level 4 was the compulsory we saw throughout the 90's

Level 5 was the new set

Jason Ming Yee of Boston told me once they also had optional sets like
    the kwando, trident, bench, etc.

It makes me laught though that once Contemporary finally got organized like a "traditional/classical "system.

they have opted to throw it all away going back to the late 70's and early 80's competiton of open sets. (persoanlly much more enjoyable to watch then to see 20 people do a compulsory set)

PS: I know that the Long Fist Duan's are easy tofind but the Southern Fist Duan's are very rare as they are not very popular today.

Adding on to the topic; China revamped what was refer to as the guiding (compulsory) in early 2000’s; though, they only create new taolu/xieshu (set way/weapon skill) for changquan (long fist), qiang (spear), gun (staff), jian (sword), and dao (knife).

Indeed, China has created a duan (section) for changquan, nanquan, and taijiquan, which goes up to liuduan (six section). Hence, the original guiding for changquan, nanquan, and taijiquan, are referred to as liuduan.

However, within these last few years China has discarded any form of guiding for competition; hence, allowing the competitors to create their own lu (way); utilizing certain movements.