Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Zazen from a Qigong perspective?

Zazen

Funny you should mention Zazen. I just got back from a short work study at Tassajara Zen Mind Temple and it's rekindled my zazen practice somewhat. Although I'm far from diligent, I'm finding it's making me less argumentative at work, and that's a good thing, especially for my coworkers. Anyway, my wife was there to give massages to the students in exchange for her stay and commented that all the students were in really great physical shape overall. They all needed more massage work - that sleep deprivation is pretty hard on them. Their spines were very strong; she said it was like two solid cords on either side of the spinal cord, but they all seemed to hold a lot of tension in their arms, which she attributed to the posture of zazen. The students have a fairly rigorous practice there.

Anyway, my return to zazen got me thinking about yijinjing again, mostly because it's such a great compliment to zazen, and I've totally forgotten it. According to the dominent creation legend of yijinjing and xisuijing, Bodhidharma made it (and all of kung fu) just to help zazen practice. It occured to me how brilliant xisuijing is for exactly this purpose. I've never learned the sequence, only seen it described in books and vidoes, but the general format of seated calesthenics seems really good for zazen, perhaps even more appropriate than yoga, which is where many American Zen practitioners turn for help. Clearly, you need some practice to offset zazen. I'm thinking if I continue my zazen practice, I should pursue xisuijing more aggressively.

Here are some resources for you:
    Xisuijing by Sh Guolin Yijinjing by Shi Guolin
    Yijingjing by Shi Deqian
    Yijinjing poster by Shi Deqian
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Thanks for the reply and the sources Gene. My zazen isn't what it used to be either. It would be really nice to have an online sanga somewhere to sit with, since my home temple is so far away.

It has occured to me that if I get really good at sitting regularly, perhaps I won't care that I've got a back-ache! I think that would be just fine.

Gasho

be here now

Online sangha? Isn't this the online sangha? Sorry, am I in the wrong room?

Iv'e been trying to imagine how an online sangha would work. We'd all log on at a certain time, there would be some sort of CG bell tolling to signify the start of zazen, then we'd all sit and stare at a blank screen. Surely, the sangha is one of the three treasures, but you don't need the sangha to practice zazen. It might help, but that's really only another attachment.

I remember once watching a documentary on Japanese Budo with my kendo sensei. it was all shot at these beautiful locations, the beach, temples, the forest, just gorgeuos scenary. Jokingly, I chided my sensei about our dojo, which was just a classroom at San Jose State that wasn't used in the evenings. 'Why can't we practice some where like that?' I said. One of my sensei, a dreadlocked rasta, retorted sternly, 'You can practice wherever you like.' I've always carried that lesson. He nailed it on the head, my head, with a big fat oki shinai. You can practice wherever you like. If you need your home temple, or an online sangha, that's just delusions created by your attachments.

Just sit.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

hmmmm, I think http://zombo.com covers the zazenzombo experience, but there is no tea and cookies afterward and it lacks a discussion group to wander into the infinitely collapsing spiral of self examination rumination that takes place when the zendo has emptied.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Hi Jack,
    I have this book called "Cultivatiing the Chi" I think the author is Olsen but I can't find it right now. Well anyway, a seated set called Micro-Cosmic Orbit is explained and taught. Very good!!!

PS: It seems that you and I have walked a lot of the same path. I just had surgery at L4/L5 level.
    -------------------------I am fortunate to have a teacher to correct my foolish ways......Qiman